Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2014 mdx tech package.
When I gently brake.... the seats and steering wheel vibrate...I can feel it all over.

Is it time to replace the brake pads or the whole thing(pads, rotor etc)?

Tire plus estimates front rotor change to be $350...Is it nominal?
Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like your rotors are warped. I would replace them, although, they can be most likely turned and repaired, however this will cause them to warp easier next time you overheat them.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
You might have the same issue we all seem to have with OEM brake set-up. The brake pads transfers pad materials to the rotors to improve braking. The MDX might be experiencing the uneven distribution of brake pad materials on the rotors creating hi/low spots you can feel during braking. It happens to all three of my Acura vehicles for the last 11 years and going with a different types of pads and/or rotors seem to seems to be the only long-term solution. You might be trading one problem for another sometimes with different pads like more noise, dust, less pad life, or wear on rotors if you pick the wrong type (same issues for rotors if you pick a cheap, smooth, slotted, cross drilled, or drilled/slotted brand). You can turn your rotors to even them out; but, the problems will come back around the same mileage because of your driving habits (hits me around +70,000 miles @ 15,000 to 18,000 miles per year w/ 70% hwy driving).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might have the same issue we all seem to have with OEM brake set-up. The brake pads transfers pad materials to the rotors to improve braking. The MDX might be experiencing the uneven distribution of brake pad materials on the rotors creating hi/low spots you can feel during braking. It happens to all three of my Acura vehicles for the last 11 years and going with a different types of pads and/or rotors seem to seems to be the only long-term solution. You might be trading one problem for another sometimes with different pads like more noise, dust, less pad life, or wear on rotors if you pick the wrong type (same issues for rotors if you pick a cheap, smooth, slotted, cross drilled, or drilled/slotted brand). You can turn your rotors to even them out; but, the problems will come back around the same mileage because of your driving habits (hits me around +70,000 miles @ 15,000 to 18,000 miles per year w/ 70% hwy driving).
Thanks...
What's the most safe yet economical solution? My odo is at 30k miles total.

If buying other brand what brand is best?

Or shall I go with what tires plus recommends?

Will Acura warranty cover any of this?
Btw I don't have extended warranty.
Any recalls on this serious issue?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Acura covered my rotors once, they were warped. The mechanic said it was a recurring issue for MDXs, soft rotors which are easily warped, they turned them which makes them weaker. Next time I'll replace them with a name brand rotor/pads such as Brembo.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It really depends on the dealership if they would be a cheaper solution compared to a local shop. Some dealerships will turn your rotors under the basic warranty while other will charge you for the work. The steering wheel vibration hit everyone at different times since it is so depended on driving conditions and your driving habits. A lot of folks just switch pads to hawk or EBC and kept the same rotors. That seemed to be the 90% solution to resolve the vibration issue.

I would ask the folks on this forum the Pros/Cons and recommendations for pad upgrades for the +14 MDX. I just kept my TSX and RDX stock since they are mostly commuter vehicles now with +135,000 miles each. I ended up upgrading my 11 MDX with 20" Conti DWS 06 tires, Racing brake open slot rotor set, steel braided brake lines, and Carbotech 1521 pads since the MDX is my main travel/tow vehicle in the mountains and southwest with speeds up to 85 mph. The Racing brake rotors are suppose to be harder, increased coefficient of friction, and you don't need to turn the rotors because they don't warp as often as OEM rotors (change pads and go up to 3-4 times before turning).

·
Registered
180 Posts
for brake pads i would suggest Centric Parts

front pads 105.13780
rear pad 105.15850

front rotors 120.40090
rear rotors 120.40083

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Acura covered my rotors once, they were warped. The mechanic said it was a recurring issue for MDXs, soft rotors which are easily warped, they turned them which makes them weaker. Next time I'll replace them with a name brand rotor/pads such as Brembo.
Local Acura service mgr said that's only covered 12m/12k warranty.mine is 32k now. Only calipers covered now.

Said it's mostly rotor repair and pad,
$300 each for front and back...$600
Total is too much. Insists on rotor resurface to be done else issue might recur.

Tiresplus where I have unlimited alignment / balancing for my mdx said
It'd cost resurface and changing pads$146 each....that's $300 total...with coupon they'll apply.

Shall I go with tires plus?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Local Acura service mgr said that's only covered 12m/12k warranty.mine is 32k now. Only calipers covered now.

Said it's mostly rotor repair and pad,
$300 each for front and back...$600
Total is too much. Insists on rotor resurface to be done else issue might recur.

Tiresplus where I have unlimited alignment / balancing for my mdx said
It'd cost resurface and changing pads$146 each....that's $300 total...with coupon they'll apply.

Shall I go with tires plus?
Thanks
Places like Tire Rack have brand new replacement rotors starting at the same price of just resurfacing them at Tiresplus. The Centric rotors suggested in the earlier post or upgrading to the cryo-treated version might be the 100% solutions along with upgraded pads for a few $$ more compared to re-surface and sticking with OEM parts.

Centric Cryo Treated Rotors
Front: 120.40090CRY
Rear: 120.40083CRY

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Places like Tire Rack have brand new replacement rotors starting at the same price of just resurfacing them at Tiresplus. The Centric rotors suggested in the earlier post or upgrading to the cryo-treated version might be the 100% solutions along with upgraded pads for a few $$ more compared to re-surface and sticking with OEM parts.

Centric Cryo Treated Rotors
Front: 120.40090CRY
Rear: 120.40083CRY
Where can I get those upgraded pads/ cyro treated rotors? Tire rack search engine said no results for 120.40090CRY.

Tires plus does free brake check so lemme find what's wrong first and the extent of damage.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I looked on Tirerack.com and put in the info you provided (2014 MDX tech) and the following displayed: https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Acura&autoModel=MDX&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=with+Technology+Package

CENTRIC POSI QUIET CERAMIC PADS
FRONT $52 for left and right side pads
Material: Ceramic
Manufacturer Part #: 105.13780

REAR $39 for left and right side pads
Manufacturer Part #: 105.15850
CENTRIC PLAIN 120 SERIES ROTORS
FRONT $70 for two
Style: Plain
Finish: Black
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40090

REAR $67 for two
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40083
CENTRIC PLAIN 120 SERIES CRYO-TREATED ROTOR
FRONT $84 for for two
Finish: Cryogenic
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40090CRY

REAR $80 for two
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40083CRY

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here's a thread that discusses selection of pads and rotors for the 3rd Gen:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/141921-brake-pads-rotors.html

Since the third gen MDX is relatively new, there isn't much information about aftermarket pads and rotors on our vehicle and how they perform. Your MDX might have to be the guinea pig for the third gen.

Aside from installing better pads and rotors, I believe that there are other things that can be done to help keep the vibration problem from returning:
-choosing rotors with a minimal amount of runout;
-cleaning rust off the hub;
-checking runout of the newly mounted rotor, indexing the rotor, and adding shims if needed;
-ensuring that lug nuts are not overtorqued;
-refraining from sitting on the brakes while stopped after a heavy braking event (i.e. panic stops, long downhill grades, highway exits, etc.). This can be difficult sometimes.

Being that TiresPlus is a chain repair shop, I'm not sure if they would perform some of those extra steps during the rotor replacement. You might have to go to an independent mechanic or some type of specialty shop in order to get those steps done. I also don't think it'll be economical. I see it instead as extra insurance that the problem won't return. Some may say it's overkill, but I guess it depends on how much the issue really bothers you.

Whatever route you choose, let us know how it turns out and please update us after you put on a good number of miles on your new brakes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked on Tirerack.com and put in the info you provided (2014 MDX tech) and the following displayed: https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Acura&autoModel=MDX&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=with+Technology+Package

CENTRIC POSI QUIET CERAMIC PADS
FRONT $52 for left and right side pads
Manufacturer Part #: 105.13780

REAR $39 for left and right side pads
Manufacturer Part #: 105.15850
CENTRIC PLAIN 120 SERIES ROTORS
FRONT $70 for two
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40090

REAR $67 for two
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40083
CENTRIC PLAIN 120 SERIES CRYO-TREATED ROTOR
FRONT $84 for for two
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40090CRY

REAR $80 for two
Manufacturer Part #: 120.40083CRY
Thanks
Might do this ...~$260 + Labor . My apt is tmrw lets see what TirePlus says , I also have life time Alignment with them for MDX, Will do that too.

Then I will call Tirerack, gets these CryoRotors /Pads and install at TiresPlus.

THANKS ALL!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2013 MDX front rotors warped at 10K. Dealer turned and replaced pads at no charge. Had them turned again at 25K and finally at 40K replaced front rotors and brake pads. Brakes seem to be a weakness for Honda. Acura Dealer wanted $485 for front rotors and brake pads installation; My Lincoln dealer (favorite and most trusted) did the job for $421 using the best pads and inspected the rear which was OK.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My mechanic said Honda cars usually need rear brake services at around 50K KM (about 35K miles). The front pad usually lasts a bit longer. But rotors that early is bad.

Would dust and debris be one of the catalyst?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks
Might do this ...~$260 + Labor . My apt is tmrw lets see what TirePlus says , I also have life time Alignment with them for MDX, Will do that too.

Then I will call Tirerack, gets these CryoRotors /Pads and install at TiresPlus.

THANKS ALL!

Hello,

Tires plus said my pads were just fine...they're probably original..

They said my front rotor was warped...back just a Lil warp.

They said if I buy from elsewhere like tire rack....they can't install it.

So I need to take this to another good local mechanic who's Acura savvy.

Acura did say only calipers are covered if they're bad.that's not the case.

About to buy just front and back cryo rotors that Mr.gold35 suggested..from tire rack......
Also noticed that even though Tirerack
Says it's qty:2 by default... in each of the rotor parts ...but after adding to cart it shows double its price! Is this normal?

Pls advice....I don't need pads now right? Which is another $100. These may not be as quiet as original pads.

Thanks much

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wouldn't replace the rotors without also putting in new pads. The extra work to do the pads is almost nothing and it's best to go new/new on rotors/pads IMO and not get out of sync on the pads/rotors replacement.

You said the shop said the front rotor is warped - did you mean just one of the two fronts is warped or both are warped? Did you ask them about just turning the rotor to true it if possible? If it's just slightly warped, and it doesn't take much warpage to feel it in the pedal, it may be able to be turned out of it but maybe they already told you it's too much and would need replacement.

On the rotors - you can buy that same brand rotor from other places, not just Tirerack. You can try Amazon and Rockauto and elsewhere. You could also buy different brand rotors or at least see what your brake inspection place is willing to use if you want them to do the job.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hello,

Tires plus said my pads were just fine...they're probably original..

They said my front rotor was warped...back just a Lil warp.

They said if I buy from elsewhere like tire rack....they can't install it.

So I need to take this to another good local mechanic who's Acura savvy.

Acura did say only calipers are covered if they're bad.that's not the case.

About to buy just front and back cryo rotors that Mr.gold35 suggested..from tire rack......
Also noticed that even though Tirerack
Says it's qty:2 by default... in each of the rotor parts ...but after adding to cart it shows double its price! Is this normal?

Pls advice....I don't need pads now right? Which is another $100. These may not be as quiet as original pads.

Thanks much
The price you see in the shopping cart is normal. Tire Rack list prices are for individual rotors. Unless there's an odd issue with someone's brakes, rotors are always bought in pairs for either the front or rear axle.

It would definitely cost less if you didn't replace the pads. But you still may run the risk of the problem returning. Like mrgold35 mentioned, some owners reduced their vibration by switching to an aftermarket pad. I typically do my own brake replacements; so whenever I've had a pulsation under braking, I've changed both the pads and rotors (even with plenty of life left on the pads).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dust and Debris should not be an issue for us. We have just normal day to day driving but do live on a mountain slope which may be a contributing factor. However, my other car a Lincoln 2010 mkx still had good brakes and no rotor warping at 80K. On this car I was getting nervous about them lasting too long.

·
Registered
268 Posts
On the rotors - you can buy that same brand rotor from other places, not just Tirerack. You can try Amazon and Rockauto and elsewhere.
I think the OP was looking specifically at the cryo treated rotors from Centric. I haven't seen that model line being sold on Rockauto or Amazon for the '14-'16 MDX, only Tire Rack. They might be available on other sites, but I usually only check Amazon and Rockauto when I buy brake parts. The non cryo treated rotors from Centric (both standard and premium) are available on those sites though.

You could also buy different brand rotors or at least see what your brake inspection place is willing to use if you want them to do the job.
To the OP:
I agree here. If it's too much of a hassle to get parts sourced elsewhere installed on your vehicle, I'd say to talk to the guys at each shop and ask about the parts and brands they have access to. A good shop won't want to use low quality parts that'll have customers complaining or coming back for warranty work. Perhaps you'll be able to find the right balance of price, quality and performance with the parts they can offer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts