Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing a rubbing sound while driving straight or turning left coming from the rear driver's side wheel. The noise goes away when turning the steering wheel slightly right. While trying to isolate the sound this evening, I noticed a rough edge on the top of the rotor. Is this normal? Auto part Metal Tire Wheel Synthetic rubber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Rough Edge is normal as that part is not touched by the brake pads, Only the shiny part gets in contact with the Pad.
As for the sound, depends.. Have you replaced the Pads lately? or the pads are too old?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rough Edge is normal as that part is not touched by the brake pads, Only the shiny part gets in contact with the Pad.

As for the sound, depends.. Have you replaced the Pads lately? or the pads are too old?

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. Pads are about 2 yrs old with 25K miles and measure fine. Have taken to the dealer a couple times for the issue and each time they aren't able to find anything unusual w/ brakes.

Only other thing I thought was maybe the beginning of a bad bearing, but it doesn't really give off the prototypical hum. More of a metal on metal rubbing.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I would check the Brake Pad hardware (The little shim pieces between the Bracket and the Brake Pad) movement in the shim can cause metal sounds when the car is moving... Try this instead of turning the wheel apply ever so slightly the brakes, If sound goes away is 100% an issue with the brake pads.

Reactions: FindMe

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had that same issue after a new brake job. Turns out I needed spreader springs. Its the shim pieces the other person mentioned. When you turn the wheel, the pad leans ever so slightly and causes the noise as well as using the brakes. Drove me crazy!!! Not sure about the top photo but my pads came with shims on the bottom.
https://www.urotuning.com/Anti-Ratt..._7MCg_toc7tZLjVBU-RwFoogdRHovSSMaAtWBEALw_wcB

You guys are awesome. Love this forum, thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts