Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Steve said:
My brake pedal wiggles left to right about 1/2". Is this normal?:confused:
Steve,

I don't think this is normal. Bring it to dealer and have them check it out.

- JTM

·
Registered
206 Posts
Loose Pedal

Steve my brake pedal is kind of loose also. I noticed it when I first got my X home and was poking around looking under the dash. When I'm driving its not noticable.
What color and coating type did you use on your calipers. I have installed 19" wheels and tires for summer use and with only 5 spokes boy you can really see them brakes. I am going to blk powder coat the outer and inner areas of the rotors but have not made up my mind about the calipers. Did you know that the front caliper is aluminum?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your brake pedal is pulsating when you put the brakes on you have probably got a warped rotor. This will happen if you use your brakes to much on a long hill and get the rotor hot. It can also happen if your brake claiper sticks. Most of the time the rotor can be trued on a brake lathe.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've noticed it too, the pedal wobbles like the arm is loose. It's distracting when it happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed this brake wobble since the first week I picked up my X. It is very disconcerting expecially when braking over uneven pavement. I plan on advising dealer at my next oil change. Please post what you find out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also noticed the brake peddle wobble when I first got the MDX. I don't notice it when I'm driving but doesn't seem right.

I read somewhere on this board that other members went to the dealer and all said it was a "feature" of the MDX. For some unknown reason, Acura designed side play into the pedal.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I just checked mine -- the pedal has ~1/4" left-right play measured at the lower corner of the pedal. The thickness of the arm that the pedal is mounted on is about 1/4" also. I'm sure that the upper end of the pedal is bushing-mounted; if so, the bushing would have to be awfully tight in order to get less play at the pedal. My WAG says that 1/4" to 3/8" is OK.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wobble is normal

Noticed the wobble right away. Twice had the dealer check out. It is normal per Acura. No effect on stopping just seems sloppy. Don't notice it when driving, just cleaning the carpet.
No worries

·
Registered
73 Posts
Me too! Side to side wobble

I have the side to side wobbling brake pedal as well and have 200 miles on my X. I noticed it when I was sitting in the vehicle waiting on someone and noticed it once when stopping. I seem to wonder if it was designed this way so that it will give way in the event of an accident...

I do feel like I am using a broken brake pedel though and honestly have never driven another vehicle that has done it. What does it take to get a recall?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a service appt on 5/20 and it is on my list. Will advise what the results are after I get the car back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steve's Dealer visit

My wife called on her cell a few minutes ago and mentioned she thought pedal was loose too. Sure enough, it's got about 1/4"-1/2" side to side wiggle. Will be very interested to hear what your dealer says. Looked at my '98 Lexus GS300 and it's got a wiggle too but much less than our MDX.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys, I looked into this in other locations in the Problem forum and apparently 1/4" is normal play in MDX brake pedal. Guess I'll come up with some impressive story for my spouse and take as much credit as possible for "fixing it"!:2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealer picked up my MDX today and I sent it back with a reasonably long list of nit picky problems. When I get it back I will let you know what they said regarding the brake pedal wobble.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My X has returned from the dealer after being there since Monday and the notation regarding the 1/2" of brake pedal wobble is "Normal"

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ours wobbles as well ... my foot actually slipped off ... I find this really annoying ... has anyone had any success getting this fixed??

If Acura ever published a list of the "currently undocumented features", it would be bigger than most encyclopedias.

Damn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wobbling Brake Pedal

Mine continues to wobble even after long discussion with service writer, manager & mechanic - all insist it's normal. I've also talked with about 4 other MDX owners around my home and all have wobbling pedals too.

Might be a way for Acura to claim health benefits as you have to flex your calf muscle repeatedly to ensure the foot remains on the pedal when it is wobbling.:2: Heck, everything else is claimed these days so Acura might as well claim something too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts