Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a brake pedal on my new 2020 MDX Hybrid. I took it into the dealer and they definitely hear the sound but they don't know if normal for a hybrid or not. The Acura dealer confirmed this noise on another brand new hybrid on the dealers lot. The non hybrids do not make this noise. I've included a video from youtube but it is not my car or even an MDX for that matter but the sound is similar.
brake noise video

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That sounds like just a localized pedal squeak - i.e. nothing to do with the brake pads/rotors/calipers. My guess is that it's a rubber seal squeaking somewhere inside near the pedal and arm for the pedal. One way to check it further is try to get your head down there near the pedal with a flashlight looking at the pivot arm while someone pushes on the pedal to see if you can determine where the squeak is coming from.

This is something so basic and simple there's no excuse for an Acura service tech being unable to determine the source of the noise. The appropriate thing to do is to take it back to Acura and make them actually troubleshoot and fix it.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Doesn't sound normal. My 19 Hybrid doesn't make this sound at all. I just get the clunk in reverse if I'm parked on an incline.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't sound normal. My 19 Hybrid doesn't make this sound at all. I just get the clunk in reverse if I'm parked on an incline.
Mrgold when you a chance it would be interesting if you could try depressing you brake Palmdale’s with the engine and radio off to see if your MDX makes this sound. The dealer didn’t know it made this sound until I pointed it out to them. If the engine and radio are on it’s difficult to hear the noise because it’s not that loud.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I stand corrected!

My 19 MDX makes the exact same sound with everything off. I never noticed because I was distracted by all the other activities and noise starting the MDX at the same time.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I am curious at how a Rubber squeaky sound is normal? what its the purpose if intentional? some kind of physical dampening?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am curious at how a Rubber squeaky sound is normal? what its the purpose if intentional? some kind of physical dampening?
It's actually a control module for the braking system that gets activated when you press the brakes, The hybrid's have a different braking system as shown in the 2 diagrams below. But your right I thought it was a squeaky rubber sound at first also! But after taking with the technicians and looking up the diagrams I now better understand the source of the sound.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I suppose it's possibly related to regenerative braking, which would be a somewhat different brake design and from the diagram it appears the hybrid doesn't have a power booster like the non-hybrid. I assume the hybrid has the regen braking since most hybrids do but I've never driven a hybrid MDX. Regardless, it's odd that it'd have a noticeable squeaky sound unless it's really not that noticeable in normal use.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ohhh it seems the hybrid lacks vacuum operated brakes and relies on a Electrical System to create pressure…
Damnnnn that looks expensive if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I figured the brake, throttle, and ECU are working overtime with regen braking, on power torque vectoring, off power electric tq vectoring, reversing opposite wheels tq vectoring on/off power to rear motors, recharging EV battery, EV mode with tq vectoring, Auto Stop/Start, and turning off the entire system sometimes like you are in accessory mode when driving on declines. I like to have the power distribution graphics up when driving and the hybrid system activity looks like it is on making hundreds of decisions per second depending on the driver's input.

I guess a squeaky module is the price to pay.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I figured the brake, throttle, and ECU are working overtime with regen braking, on power torque vectoring, off power electric tq vectoring, reversing opposite wheels tq vectoring on/off power to rear motors, recharging EV battery, EV mode with tq vectoring, Auto Stop/Start, and turning off the entire system sometimes like you are in accessory mode when driving on declines. I like to have the power distribution graphics up when driving and the hybrid system activity looks like it is on making hundreds of decisions per second depending on the driver's input.

I guess a squeaky module is the price to pay.
I don’t think you are ever in accessory mode. All the electronics are always on. Just the engine shuts off.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I don’t think you are ever in accessory mode. All the electronics are always on. Just the engine shuts off.
It would be hard for non hybrid person to know if the MDX is on or accessory mode when the engine shuts off sitting inside the car. The engine only stays on in Sport+ mode.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It would be hard for non hybrid person to know if the MDX is on or accessory mode when the engine shuts off sitting inside the car. The engine only stays on in Sport+ mode.
I don’t think the speedometer would work in accessory mode.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I said like accessory mode. Just can't let it go?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts