Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, planning to change pads and rotors for all 4 wheels, currently I am looking at these 2 sets, does anyone have other recommendations? I live in NYC, not sure if the drilled rotor is good during snow season? Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
what's it that you don't like oem/stock brakes? They're fine to me and I live in Denver; mountains and snow

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
50 Posts
I would stay away from drilled rotors outside of high performance applications...more prone to warping. A good solid rotor is all that is needed, and being you live where salt is thrown a coated rotor might be the best choice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You don't need drilled and slotted rotors on Your MDX. Waste of money and You may be able to feel the slots as You brake.I tried on a different car and hated them.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After all, I am going with duralast rotors and pads, around $300 for the whole car after tax.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I just swapped out the fronts and went with OEM pads/rotors. Did a 2,000 mile trip last week fully loaded through the mountains...it slows/stops exceptionally well. Far better than it accelerates actually....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased from Summit Racing Front and Rear EBC brake kit. Well worth the purchase and also do a brake flush after install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, I'm looking to replace the pads & rotors on my 14 MDX, I always felt that the brakes weren't the best on the MDX so looking for a bit more bite and stopping power with new ones. I was deciding between PowerStop & EBC. I'm not crazy about slotted rotors (don't really care for the look), but if needed for the extra stopping power I'd go that route.

@Spec_Davis Which EBC pads and rotors did you get? I was looking at the Greenstuff pads, curious on how you like your setup?

@zhouye2015 How do you like the Duralast setup?

I'm in Ontario, Canada there is a lot salt on the roads in the winter. Corrosion hasn't been s problem with stock brakes, but I like the idea of coated rotors to minimize it.

Open to suggestions and hearing other's experiences with their replacement brakes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All, I'm looking to replace the pads & rotors on my 14 MDX, I always felt that the brakes weren't the best on the MDX so looking for a bit more bite and stopping power with new ones. I was deciding between PowerStop & EBC. I'm not crazy about slotted rotors (don't really care for the look), but if needed for the extra stopping power I'd go that route.

@Spec_Davis Which EBC pads and rotors did you get? I was looking at the Greenstuff pads, curious on how you like your setup?

I'm in Ontario, Canada there is a lot salt on the roads in the winter. Corrosion hasn't been s problem with stock brakes, but I like the idea of coated rotors to minimize it.

Open to suggestions and hearing other's experiences with their replacement brakes.

Thanks.
I am going to replace them today, I went with the normal rotor since duralast doesn't have performance rotor for MDX, brake pads I went with elite copper free ceramic pads, will keep you posted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks.
So far so good, I put them on last Saturday, it is pretty smooth, no complaint so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Warning for anyone else looking at power stop. I order them last year, waited 6 month, front came, rear never came. I order off amazon, they took it back due to back order issue. I ordered from summit a few months later, they shipped rear but not front and after a month, I email them for status, they said they wont get it for a while, I said Ill have to return them, can't install half.. I end up just getting duralast high carbon ones.. had them for over 15k miles now.. no issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Be careful with the power stop brakes as they are good for about 15 to 20K miles and then they will start to show signs of the cheap materials. I changed the brakes on our 2015 MDX as I was never impressed with the brakes from day one and went with the power stop drilled/slotted rotors and pads hoping for improvement over the stock set up. The PS brakes were at best a slight improvement over stock but started to make allot of noise during medium to hard braking and the rotors were starting to show signs of fatigue and cracking with only about 20k miles on them. I just changed out the brakes to EBC Yellows (F/R) and EBC plain vented rotors front and Centic Cyro solid discs on the rear, so far (still in break in period) seem to be the best set up for the MDX. The brakes do produce some dust as to be expected, but the better brake feel and stopping power it is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After the first installation, I was experiencing shaking from both steering wheel and brake padel when braking at high speed, I inspected both front wheels, and found out the right front pad won't sit flush with the rotor, when I press the pad to the rotor, either the upper or lower end of the pad will pop up, Autozone processes replacement for me, they got me a set of new rotors and new pads, everything is perfect now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I replaced all four brake rotors with Power Stop Performance and Akebono Brake Pads. All working great, no complaint so far. I hated the Autozone duralast pads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts