Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually replace my own brake pads, but when called the dealer for pad pricing, one service guy said the newer 2014 mdx requires a computer sensor calibration after install. There’s no sensors that i can think of that needs calibration. Has anyone heard of this or is this guy wanting me to get it serviced at the dealer.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I know that’s BS for the Tech / Ent trim. All you need is a pair of channel locks to push back the caliper, clean and lube the pins and you’re good to go. I’ve done 3 sets already.

Not sure about the Advance trim aren’t those brakes computer controlled? I believe you need the software to retract the calipers or it’s a PITA - I hate that brakes are becoming dealer service items.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I replaced mine (2015 tech sh-awd) front and back, and the front rotors, and there have been no ill side effects. Maybe if the sensor rubs and throws a code that might need to be reset. Other than that I have no direct knowledge of the brakes "sensor" thing the guy told you but it sounds like BS.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Some of the 3rd Gen MDX models have an electrically actuated parking brake (I think the 2017+ models). Prior to that, I believe they all employed a foot pedal for engaging it.

The latest generation Honda Accords and Civics use an electric parking brake, and I believe there are ways to mechanically retract the caliper without having to use a computer to do it (as needed on some German cars). I think the German cars in some cases may also need calibration. I don't know what's needed for the newer MDXs , but I'm hoping it's similar to the Accords and Civics in that no special tools are needed. It looks like the newer MDXs no longer use brake shoes contained inside the rotor hat as they had in the past.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It looks like the newer MDXs no longer use brake shoes contained inside the rotor hat as they had in the past.
Which model year of MDX has brake shoes? I have 1st Gen (2002) and 3rd Gen (2019), both are pad and rotors, no shoes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh, man . . . I didn't calibrate brake sensors on my 2015 Tech AWD, what should I do now . . . am I in trouble? ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Which model year of MDX has brake shoes? I have 1st Gen (2002) and 3rd Gen (2019), both are pad and rotors, no shoes.
I think pretty much any 2016 and older MDX use the brake shoes solely for the parking brake (which you should be able to see if you remove the rotor), and pads for normal braking on the rear axle. I guess they technically don't have drums, but the hat of the rotor essentially acts as one for the parking brake. I haven't been the one doing the brakes on my 2015, but I could have sworn I saw the grommet for the adjustment wheel opening on the face of the rear rotor when I did a tire rotation a few years back. I also had an '05 Pilot, and the parking brake shoes were contained within the rear rotor as well. I can't imagine that it was any different on an '02 MDX.

The 2017+ models I believe have the electric parking brake, which might just use the pads only. I'm only going by the parts diagrams and personally haven't taken apart the brakes on a 2017+ model, so someone would have to confirm this.

Oh, man . . . I didn't calibrate brake sensors on my 2015 Tech AWD, what should I do now . . . am I in trouble? ?
I doubt it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Pads for the parking brake only. The rear rotors have a "hat" design to incorporate the drum brake parking brake function on the inside of the rotor. Don't know for sure on the 2019, but fairly certain the 2002 would have that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts