Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 MDX Tech with 55,000 miles. Figure it's time I replaced all 4 corner's brake pads. After reading all the posts about the negatives of the drilled and slotted rotors - sticking with original Acura rotors - but, want to upgrade brake pads.

Thinking about going with the Power Stop carbon fiber/ceramic pads.

What is the consensus of those of you on which brake pads you would choose?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Ran mine with Carquest WEAREVER Pads and they have been GOOD! Several down hills in spirited driving and I have yet to Fade Them..

I would consider EBC Kevlar pads for my next set though.. Specially the Green Stuff 6000 HD.

KEVLAR > CERAMIC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brake Pads

No - not towing.

Just daily driver - normal driving - rarely go over 70 (on an insurance discount monitor and don't want the ticket).

Speaking of the plug-in insurance monitor (Allstate) - they give me the best rate and, as long as I don't hit 80 or higher or slam on my brakes too many times - they send me quarterly rebates.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I recently installed the Carquest Wearever ceramic pads and have been very happy with them. They work for great for a grocery getter. I wouldn't put 'em on my BMW 335, but the X is not a sports car :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
No - not towing.

Just daily driver - normal driving - rarely go over 70 (on an insurance discount monitor and don't want the ticket).

Speaking of the plug-in insurance monitor (Allstate) - they give me the best rate and, as long as I don't hit 80 or higher or slam on my brakes too many times - they send me quarterly rebates.
I'm not ready for big brother....Allstate has offered it to me....not taking the bait.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I can't see any downsides to the OEM pads unless you're rally-racing a 2+ton SUV for some reason. We've been test driving crossovers lately and haven't found one that has better pedal feel and performance for normal driving. We have over 100k miles on original front pads and zero vibration. Have you inspected the pads and/or are you getting vibration from the discs?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have a 2012 MDX Tech with 55,000 miles. Figure it's time I replaced all 4 corner's brake pads. After reading all the posts about the negatives of the drilled and slotted rotors - sticking with original Acura rotors - but, want to upgrade brake pads.

Thinking about going with the Power Stop carbon fiber/ceramic pads.

What is the consensus of those of you on which brake pads you would choose?
You need to take off caliper and measure the pads YOURSELF! Dealer told me to replace mine around the same mileage as yours. Guess what? I am still on my factory pads at 86k miles. And I have measured and checked twice that my brakes will likely to be near 2mm at 105k miles. To be conservative, I shall replace them around 95k myself. OEM pads are fantastic, no desire to try other brands, unless you want to save some money. BTW, OEM is Akebono.

·
Registered
149 Posts
NAPA adaptive one pads on the front of mine. Started to squeak and NAPA said they'd warranty them only once, so much for limited lifetime warranty. Luckily never squeaked again. Knock on wood.

Autozone ceramic on rears. Work great, no dust and quiet. Had to warranty a pair on another car and zero hassle exchange at the store. Been running their brakes on a lot of cars with no issues.

Mdx is at 126k miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You need to take off caliper and measure the pads YOURSELF! Dealer told me to replace mine around the same mileage as yours. Guess what? I am still on my factory pads at 86k miles. And I have measured and checked twice that my brakes will likely to be near 2mm at 105k miles. To be conservative, I shall replace them around 95k myself. OEM pads are fantastic, no desire to try other brands, unless you want to save some money. BTW, OEM is Akebono.
I am still on my original brake pads at 90K miles, as well (2012). I have never checked them myself, but haven't had any issues with them and take my car to the dealer for all the maintenance and the dealer service guy said they were still fine at the last oil change. I am on track for needing my next oil change at about 95K miles and surely they will need to be replaced then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up going with the Akebono Ultra-Premium Ceramic pads. A little more expensive than the standard OEM pads - or some of the generic replacement pads. I am very pleased with these pads. Could be just the excitement of having new pads on the MDX - but, the vehicle does seem to stop quicker.

Old pads weren't worn out at 55,000 + miles. Front pads may have had another 10-15,000 miles left in them - rear pads only about half that. Received the pads - so, decided to go ahead and install them. Other that changing the oil - probably the easiest job a DIYer can perform themselves.

Took the rotors to a shop for inspection - he checked them out and advised me not to have them turned - said the rotors were in excellent shape - honest man. Reinstalled the same rotors, then the pads - did a few quick stops - now stopping like a dream.

New brakes give a pretty good peace of mind when driving at highway speeds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The EBC green pads with new rotors I installed 12,400 miles and 14 months ago are done. I wondered what the grinding sound was; it certainly couldn't be my new brakes. Wrong. I guess I'll go back to OEM.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^ Wayyyy too little... My Yellow Stuffs (Track Pads) using it as Daily´s lasted a good amount of 15K which is a ton of time for a Track Pad. Green Stuffs should have lasted "at least" 50K...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The EBC green pads with new rotors I installed 12,400 miles and 14 months ago are done. I wondered what the grinding sound was; it certainly couldn't be my new brakes. Wrong. I guess I'll go back to OEM.

What kind of rotors you used? For normal driving I suggest Centric premium rotors and akebono pads to everyone I knew. Good enough braking with little noise and dust. Oem rotors are good but expensive. Oem pads are made by akebono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.