Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 brake mitigation issue

Hey guys,

I searched this issue and found that older MDX - 2014 were affected but not 2017s. Anyway, on two separate occasions my wife and I were driving and in the middle of intersections where all of a sudden the brake mitigation kicked in and the car stopped short! Scary as both times we were almost rear ended by the car behind us. In both cases there were cars in front of us that turned and as they were out of sight, we hit the gas to accelerate forward. I think the system somehow still thought the cars were still in sight even though they turned. I am taking the car to the dealer for the first service tomorrow and will mention it to them. I will try and disable this feature for now as its pretty scary and seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

I have a 2017 base AWD model that I bought in July of this year so one of the early models to hit the lot. I thought this would be a pretty awesome safety feature but right now its a liability. Any one experience something similar?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2017, just over 600 miles, I don't drive all that much, going on my second month. I personally haven't found all that much wrong with the car yet. I have an Advance with the Auto Idle Start Stop tech that doesn't seem to do much now that the weather is cooler and the phone interface with the infotainment system is painfully slow. Otherwise, no other complaints as of now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
12 K, 5 months old
Did the same once when a vehicle was turning to the right side of my vehicle. Stopped on a dime! Luckily so did the car behind me. :wink:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update. Took it to the dealer who claim to have checked everything and could not find anything wrong. They suggested to adjust the distance on the brake mitigation to "Long" and see if that does something. Will try and let you guys know if that does anything.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Hmm this was simple CBMS working and not the vehicle on ACC or anything right? Changing the distance seems outside of the default seems like a lazy way of resolving an issue..

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
^ Sounds pretty much like Acura Corporation of America all right...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm this was simple CBMS working and not the vehicle on ACC or anything right? Changing the distance seems outside of the default seems like a lazy way of resolving an issue..
Just the CBMS. That's what I thought too but he said there was no software update for it. They want me to come test drive it with a technician next.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Hmm ok. I know I've had the CBMS react to objects on the road (even a curb) that it thinks I am approaching too quickly and doesn't know I'm about to turn, but an intersection tends to be a rather clear area.

And you know how it will go. You drive with a tech and it won't do the odd behavior, so then they will say they can't address a problem that can't be reproduced -__-

Keep us updated. I'm interested to see if there's a problem with your radar in the grille or the cameras above the rear view mirror.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts