Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have a 2002 MDX. brake lamp warning light is on. both lower brake lights are not working. fuses are fine. turn signals, high brake light, and backup lights are all working fine.

i suspect it is the brake light failure sensor that has failed. where is this sensor? how do i get to it? repair shops are closed due to the holidays. i am trying to see if it is a loose connection or something that i can fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, i have a 2002 MDX. brake lamp warning light is on. both lower brake lights are not working. fuses are fine. turn signals, high brake light, and backup lights are all working fine.

i suspect it is the brake light failure sensor that has failed. where is this sensor? how do i get to it? repair shops are closed due to the holidays. i am trying to see if it is a loose connection or something that i can fix.
I have the same issue but i dont have a warning lights on the dash just the two lower brake light not working. I have replace the bulb also check the fuse and brakelight switch. Did you figure it out what is the problem on your mdx?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It's not an uncommon problem. The connections from the bulb carrier to the taillight housing are pretty flimsy. I'd suggest removing them, and doing three things...
1) Make sure the bulb is actually inserted correctly
2) Clean the copper connector's contact point, and add a little tension by bending it slightly
3) Clean the mating surface on the taillight housing.

Wiggling the bulb carrier back and forth (with the brake pedal depressed - I use a dowel between the seat and pedal, and just move the seat forward until the pedal is pressed enough to activate the switch) might show you where the problem is (if it's a flaky connection). Otherwise, it's just a matter of poking around with a voltmeter or test light to see what's going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not an uncommon problem. The connections from the bulb carrier to the taillight housing are pretty flimsy. I'd suggest removing them, and doing three things...
1) Make sure the bulb is actually inserted correctly
2) Clean the copper connector's contact point, and add a little tension by bending it slightly
3) Clean the mating surface on the taillight housing.

Wiggling the bulb carrier back and forth (with the brake pedal depressed - I use a dowel between the seat and pedal, and just move the seat forward until the pedal is pressed enough to activate the switch) might show you where the problem is (if it's a flaky connection). Otherwise, it's just a matter of poking around with a voltmeter or test light to see what's going on.

Thank You for the response. I will do this today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts