Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the freeway I was driving about 40 mph, I noticed the brake light and and battery light turned on for about 1 second then turned off. The car didn't stall and is driving fine. I thought I heard something from the right front wheel at about the same time , kind of like a low humming noise.
Any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
gokings55,

That sounds similiar to an incident my wife encountered over a year ago. At first, as she described it, I assumed that it was simply the ABS kicking in, triggering both the light and the noise. But she was certain that she hadn't applied the brake and (as I recall) was simply travelling at a moderate speed.

AFAIK, the symptom has only occured once in over two years of driving. (And we quite diligently monitor the "idiot lights" status for unusual events).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I have had the same problem about a dozen times.
It's very random and it usually happens in stop and go traffic.
Mentioned it to the dealer and they can't duplicate it...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
gokings55,

I had my braking light turns on few times last year while I was making some turns. I took it to the dealer few times, in the first few times, they told me that my X didn't have enough brake fluid in it. But since it comes on every three months, I asked them to check again. Finally, they found out they had to replace the master cylinder to fix the problem. Since then, the light never come on again.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My wife reported this same symptom on two separate occasions over the last two weeks... Brake and Battery light together, for a few seconds, then off.

I couldn't find anything, and I didn't want to take 4 hours of my life to have the dealer write 'no problem found at this time'.

I'll need to look at the connections on the master cylinder, and see if wiggling anything can duplicate- seems unusual that TWO lights come on- I also need to check the Service Manual to see of the dual lights is a 'smoking gun'... (common circuit loosing a ground or something)

Ard

PS I'll also need to stop telling her she is imagining it... :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's replies, guess I'll just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
103 Posts
NO, they're not imagining it!

This happened to my MDX more that a dozen times usually during hard braking specially on bumps! Since it usually happens during hard braking and on bumps lead me to think that it may be some wiring problem or might be electrical. However, although it comes up frequently at 2 second durations, it doesn't have any symptoms that lead me to believe that this is a major issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have had it happen about 3 times over the 2 years I have owned the MDX. Very sporadic with no symptoms other than the 'idiot lights' on.

I'm glad to here that others had noticed, thought mine was the only one. I have not brought this to the dealer's attention, yet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Another

Add another 01 to the list. My wife reported the same thing last night. In her case the brake light came on first then the battery light came on. They went out and didn't come back on. It was during relatively slow in-town driving. 30K is coming up so I will mention it.

Anyone notice the "wife" trend?:D

Niles

·
Registered
576 Posts
There are multiple threads on this same problem and it is being tracked in the knowlege base as problem #45. How do we keep these reports linked together?

·
Registered
383 Posts
The same thing happened to me yesterday.

I was going home after work, finishing a turn and going up hill when it happened.

Strange

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife reported that it happened to her 3 times over a period of 3 months, but I ignored it because I could not duplicate it. I fianally saw the dual lights came on last week while applying the brakes gently to slow down from about 40mph to a complete stop. I tried to do the same at other street lights and stop signs, but could not duplicate it. I'm going to bring it in to the dealer to have it check out, even if they can't find anything wrong. At least they have this down on their record that I have complained about it. If something major happens after the warranty period and it's due to this problem, I can say, "I told you so." They'll still have to grant my warranty, since the complaint would be within warranty date.

I will register under the knowledge base #45 after I take it to the dealer to get their input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My battery and Brake light comes on for 3-5 second almost every other day. It has been like this for 4 months.I noticed it will mostly happen when braking. As per the TSB, is it an interference with the electrical fan only? or Do I have to change the alternator?
If it does not affect anything, i would rather save some $$$. Is there anyone that drive with a brake / battery light longer then me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yesterday and today, I noticed this happen to my 2001 MDX.
Was there a conclusion on what causes this and how to to fix it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2001 MDX is doing this also, the lights stayed on, a few moments later the Navigation screen shut down after the message "shutting down to conserve power", (the only other time it does this is when you have the key on ACC, but the car not running). As if the system doesn't realize the car is running? This occurred while driving on a highway no braking involved. I stopped the car and when I turned the car off and restarted it, everything was normal again....for a few minutes, and then it did it again. Anyone ever find a solution??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just to update everyone ... mine was the alternator starting to fail ... my mechanic was able to determine (after a few attempts to reproduce the problem over several visits) that the output from the alternator output was borderline passing ... replaced alternator, problem never came back. MDX was over 90K miles when I replaced the alternator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 02 MDX too has both brake and bat lights on not going off thou .
I have brake pads im installing i hear the sound of light scratching metal when at like 30 mph
I will post results

1 - 18 of 18 Posts