Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Is there a way to have the brake hold always on instead of having to press the button every time after restarting the car? Didn't see it definitely answered anywhere.
AFAIK, no.

Out of curiosity, why would you want that to automatically come on?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Because it's super handy while driving in the city. If I could have the idle stop off and brake hold on set to default, that would be awesome.
Sorry, I don't think you can do this.

I'd wager that you can't set brake hold to default "on" for safety reasons.

·
Registered
741 Posts
A reporter was interviewing a professor the other day after a Tesla crash about some of the problems with AI in automobile computers where drivers trusted the AI to make the decisions for them, instead of considering the AI as an additional tool. He is the lead architect on AI in automobiles in the world. His response was interesting - he said AI will not come close to being trustworthy in cars in the lifetimes probably of even those being born today. Basically a driver is still needed to make decisions and push buttons for the next 80-100 years. Maybe by then cars will reliably know when to hold brakes, and when to lift.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
1,123 Posts
Im sure it can be done. When I release the Ebrake I automatically tap the brake hold button, so to me its a simple answer.
Over on a Cummins forum someone came up with a way to have the exhaust brake come on at startup. The button then turned it off when necessary. As I remember he added a relay and did some basic rewiring of the circuit. Of your electrical smart it should not be too hard to setup.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Brake hold isn't for hills. It will keep the brakes engaged with your foot off the pedal. It's great when sitting in traffic or areas with tons of traffic lights.
When sitting in traffic,I use the ACC. It really comes in handy. However, when I’m sitting at a long light, I sometimes use the brake hold.

“Thats stupid reason... There is no safety concern.”
Some people would feel differently. I imagine forgetting what car you are in and possibly hitting the car in front of you.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Im sure it can be done. When I release the Ebrake I automatically tap the brake hold button, so to me its a simple answer.
Over on a Cummins forum someone came up with a way to have the exhaust brake come on at startup. The button then turned it off when necessary. As I remember he added a relay and did some basic rewiring of the circuit. Of your electrical smart it should not be too hard to setup.
my 2019 automatically releases the ebrake. put the car in gear and as soon as you hit the pedal, ebrake comes off. I do wish brake hold could be a user choice for automatic operation

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Not sure if this is an issue with the 3.5L; but, the hybrid 7DCT can roll front or back a bit on an incline if you are not quick on the gas pedal. Brake Hold helps with that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My 17 has hill brake hold for several seconds (very handy - no drifting back). This feature can be turned off through vehicle settings. But I've never really understood the Brake Hold button. I take it that it must be turned off with the button, right? It doesn't automatically shut off when you pull out?

·
Registered
818 Posts
My 17 has hill brake hold for several seconds (very handy - no drifting back). This feature can be turned off through vehicle settings. But I've never really understood the Brake Hold button. I take it that it must be turned off with the button, right? It doesn't automatically shut off when you pull out?
On the 2019-20 if you have set brake hold with the button on the lower left control panel as soon as you hit the gas, the brake hold disengages. when you come to a complete stop again it engages. When you turn off the car it gets turned off. You must turn it on again when you restart the car. Now this function is different from my truck with Hill hold. It comes on automatically when you stop on an incline. The inclinometer built into the truck sets the hill hold based on some incline threshold. It doesn't come on when you stop on level ground.

·
Registered
672 Posts
MCRacer has it right
All MDXs from 2017+
Hill Start Assist (hill hold), from a stop, keeps the vehicle from rolling back on an incline. Nothing needs to be done by the driver for this system to be activated, it is always on. Per the manual (Page 371 on mine):
"Hill start assist keeps the brake engaged briefly to help prevent the vehicle from rolling on inclines as you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.
Change the gear position to (D or (S) when facing uphill, or (R) when facing downhill, then release the brake pedal.
The brakes remain engaged briefly as you release the brake pedal."

Automatic Brake Hold is a completely different system. It must be activated by the driver each time the ignition is cycled. Brake Hold differs from Hill Start Assist because it does not need an incline to function, it is always active once it is engaged. Brake Hold is designed to reduce driver fatigue at stoplights where the vehicle will be stopped for a short amount of time. The system holds the brakes after the driver comes to a complete stop. This allows the driver to take their foot off the brake pedal while the vehicle remains stationary. The Brake Hold releases when the driver presses the accelerator. Page 432 of my manual. See Automatic Brake Hold and Hill Start Assist in the index of your owner's manual to find the pages in manual for your specific model and year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.