Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I went through about 1.5 12oz bottles when I flushed mine.

The amount isn't precise due to the nature of flushing - it just depends on how much flushing is done before you decide the fluid coming out is clear enough to move onto the next wheel.

I used Acura brake fluid.
ok thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
2 bottles(12 oz) of Honda Dot 3 fluids is sufficient for brake flush. But I always buy 3 of them, trying to drain more. They're cheap, usually $6 per bottle. You don't have to use Honda/Acura fluid, Dot 3 fluid from any reputable brand works just as well. When you're done, throw away(recycle) what's left along with old fluid, unless it's not opened.

Remember to bleed clockwise beginning from driver side front, FL - FR - RR - RL.
cool. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 bottles(12 oz) of Honda Dot 3 fluids is sufficient for brake flush. But I always buy 3 of them, trying to drain more. They're cheap, usually $6 per bottle. You don't have to use Honda/Acura fluid, Dot 3 fluid from any reputable brand works just as well. When you're done, throw away(recycle) what's left along with old fluid, unless it's not opened.

Remember to bleed clockwise beginning from driver side front, FL - FR - RR - RL.
I know this is an old thread but I came across it and had to comment. The bleeding sequence described here is incorrect. The proper way is to start with furthest wheel and work your way towards the master cylinder.

The correct sequence is RR, RL, FR, FL.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I came across it and had to comment. The bleeding sequence described here is incorrect. The proper way is to start with furthest wheel and work your way towards the master cylinder.

The correct sequence is RR, RL, FR, FL.

For many other vehicles, your sequence is correct start from the furthest to nearest.
But for Honda & Acura vehicles, FL-FR-RR-RL (clockwise from driver's left) is what the service manual calls for (but I've never seen it myself).

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 2015 Owners' Manual says; Acura Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3.
Dot 4 fluid is compatible with Dot 3 (can be used on 2015 MDX), not the other way around.
What does that mean not the other way around? They are compatible with each other, yes, but on the reservoir cap I believe it says DOT 4. Either way there's 0 reason to opt for DOT 3 over DOT 4 especially with TC and ABS being standard.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What does that mean not the other way around?
What this means one should not use Dot 3 fluid when owners' manual calls for Dot 4 fluid.

I've just pointed out what the OM said, Acura Dot 3 brake fluid is recommended.
You're right that Dot 4 fluid is better BF than Dot 3 fluid, just saying Dot 3 BF is perfectly good BF for those who have and/or used Dot 3 fluid. All Honda/Acura brake fluid are Dot 3, except Honda Special Hi-Performance brake fluid Dot 4.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There is a difference between bleeding air from the system and flushing the fluid. I do my best to remove as much of the old fluid from the reservoir before I start my flush, but a fair amount remains. If you start from the rear passenger side, you have to pump that old fluid that remains in the reservoir all the way to the back wheel. If you start with the front driver, you have the shortest path to remove the old fluid from the reservoir, then all the other wheels you are starting with fresh fluid in the reservoir.

4-5 pumps of the pedal is NOT a flush by any measure. I recently did mine and used over a liter of fluid. I use a Motive Products power bleeder, I can't imagine doing this procedure with out it as it would take 5 times longer and require a second person.

There will in fact be an improvement in pedal with a flush. I do mine every 2 years. You can use Dot 4 in a Dot 3 system, but you should not use Dot 3 in a Dot 4 system unless its a short term emergency.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to bring this back, can you bleed the rear caliper with electronic parking brakes or do you need to put it in vsa maintenance mode to bleed it. ie regular bleeding procedure or special bleeding procedure. Thanks..

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD TECH
38 Posts
At a recent visit to the Acura dealership, I took the following picture which clearly indicates DOT-3 brake fluid for all MDX's up to 2019. I'm about to perform the procedure myself. Thanks for all those that contributed to this discussion. It was very helpful.
(y)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
At a recent visit to the Acura dealership, I took the following picture which clearly indicates DOT-3 brake fluid for all MDX's up to 2019. I'm about to perform the procedure myself. Thanks for all those that contributed to this discussion. It was very helpful.
(y)
Glare/reflection on portion of image... PDF version attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
acura spec's DOT3. DOT4 has a higher wet and dry boiling point and DOT4+ even higher. Both are competely compatible with DOT3. IMHO as long as your going through the process, pay and extra few $ and go with a DOT4 or 4+ synthetic fluid. Look at the bottle for the brand with the highest wet and dry boiling point. It will give you an extra margin of safety for almost no extra cost and no extra time.

Whatever you do NEVER use DOT 5!!!! (unless the vehicle orignally use DOT5 which is very very uncommon).

You can use DOT5.1 which has even higher boiling points that DOT4 and is completely compatible with DOT4 and DOT3. But it is MUCH more expensive than DOT4. No real reason to use it given the cost.

In he U.S. brake fluid must be an amber color. For a while ATE had a amber and blue DOT4 fluid. They had to remove it from the market in the U.S. In a way it was a real nice fluid. First time flushing use the blue and you knew exactly when the flust was complete. Then when you wanted to flush again, use the amber. sigh, no longer available.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 2019 sport hybrid cap says "Use only DOT3 OR DOT4 brake fluid". While I always use DOT4, I think this is a good label since aucra says DOT3 is ok, the DOT4 statement will clarify for those who do not have current knowledge on brake fluid compatability that DOT4 can be substituted if needed.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sorry to bring this back, can you bleed the rear caliper with electronic parking brakes or do you need to put it in vsa maintenance mode to bleed it. ie regular bleeding procedure or special bleeding procedure. Thanks..
The e-brake is mechanical, so no influence on the fluid exchange process. Now one thing that a meticulous mechanic would tell you is that without a tool to cycle the ABS module, you're not doing a proper or at least complete fluid flush. The shade tree method (without a tool) suggests fluid exchange, then hard stops to cycle the ABS, then a re-do of the exchange process.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD TECH
38 Posts
How much brake fluid is actually held in the ABS module?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts