Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my original Conti tires just ran out and I had them replaced at 42,000 miles. The installer said I have more than 50% brake pad life left. I was just reading the maintenance recommendations, and saw that Acura recommends replacing the brake fluid every 3 years. (I know it has to do with moisture/contamination, not with brake pad life). My 2014 MDX is at 3 years now. It seems pretty aggressive for a brake fluid change every 3 years. My question is this- Has anyone followed this recommendation? Did you do it yourself, or have a dealer do it? What did they charge? For the record, I am going to do it myself- just interested in everyone's thoughts on it- The only other car I have ever done this on is my wife's Toyota van- and I did it at 10 years, 100,000 miles.... Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
interesting that you bring this topic up.

mine is on its 3rd year too.

i will be replacing the brake fluid this upcoming spring; it's way too cold to do it now. X-D

i will follow the maintenance guide just so that i am on top of my car's maintenance since i am doing it myself.

plus i have a handheld vacuum pump to do it alone without someone pumping the brake pedals.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Please post pics or video if you do it.
Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
So my original Conti tires just ran out and I had them replaced at 42,000 miles.

Interesting on tires. My 3.5 year old 2014 MDX have the Michelin tires. I am at 39,000 miles. The sheet said I had 7/32 and 6/32 left, was still on the green part of the diagram for the front tires and the line between green and yellow on the rear tires. (I am not sure I have the '32 part correct, but it was 7 and 6)

How is everyone else doing with the tire life?

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMO, brake fluid should be flushed every 2 years or 24,000 miles whichever comes first.

I would not go 3+ years on the same fluid.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Brake fluid change is pretty easy. Some tips:

1. If you live in the Rust Belt (road salt area) spray a bit of rust bust on the base of the bleeder screws and let it sit at least a few minutes before opening the bleeder.

2. Suck out as much fluid as you can from the master cylinder reservoir first. Then fill with new fluid.

3. No need for a vacuum pump. Just open let gravity do the job.

4. Forcing the ABS on to circulate fluid before the job will result in a more effective flush. I just drive on a dirt road and lock up the brakes a few times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts