Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried cleaning and re-lubing the old ones, as well as installing new replacements (including the boots and upper pin bushings), but still have the same problem with the pins being very stiff after only a few months of use. When I put them in they always seem fine, but when I check on them after a few months, I sometimes need to use pliers to twist and pull on them to make them budge. I've also tried different amounts of lube - a light coat, just enough to coat the pins, as well as filling the hole with enough lube that it oozes out when the pin is inserted. What's the proper amount? The only thing I haven't tried is honing the caliper mount, but with no lube at all, the pin slides in and out fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention the replacements were aftermarket. Just thought I'd post this for suggestions before ordering the OEM parts, which will be a waste of $70 for everything if it doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
what kind of lube you used? CRC is just junk, as well as many others. try 3M silicone paste.

Reactions: RBT

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Permatex 22063:

• 100% synthetic formula • high temperature lubricant to prevent seizing or sticking of disc brake components • assures critical brake parts remain lubricated • waterproof lubricant protects against corrosion • will not cause rubber sleeves and seals to swell • non-silicone, non-petroleum based formula • outperforms ordinary caliper grease • temperature range: -40°C to 204°C (-40°F to 400°F) Applications: Long and short bolts, sleeves, bushings, outboard and inboard pad backing plate, disc brake calipers, caliper pins and pistons, clips and slides.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Don't know about Permatex. The junk CRC I used also makes this kind of claim. It caused me a lot of trouble. Absolutely won't try again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked the dealership if they sold the OEM stuff and they recommended Sil Glyde. Guess it's worth trying first.

Going back to one of my original questions, how much lube should I be using? Fill to the brim, or just lightly coat?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The problem is the grease you are using..

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I applied as much as I can. I am still on my factory pads and rotors @ 87k miles. But I serviced it once around 50k miles and that is what I did.

·
Registered
208 Posts
what kind of lube you used? CRC is just junk, as well as many others. try 3M silicone paste.
This is so true. All of the fancy CRC, Permatex synthetic brake lubes I have used quickly dry out and stick. Syl-glide works great and I expect any silicone based lube would do the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts