Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2019 MDX a spec with 2900 miles on it. I was told that the shop foreman was driving it as his perk vehicle. I got a really good deal on it and when I drove it home, I noticed I was pulling to the right. Upon further examination on the exterior of the vehicle oh, I noticed that the left bumper where the front air dam attaches to the top part of the bumper on the left front wheel well was somewhat detached and I noticed that the fog lights on the left side also was loose. I determined that the vehicle must have hit a curb or something because I looked up the Carfax and there was some suspension work done to it and they had to replace a wheel bearing. I must have brought the car back four times and told them that I needed a printout from the alignment computer, which they never supplied to me. I finally brought the car back again and I have a new service advisor who is taking care of me and told me that they were communicating with American Honda to get to the bottom of it and it may need a new subframe. I just purchase this car as new in January of this year. It's getting to the point that I do not want this car anymore. Do I have a case to tell the dealer that I want them to take the car back and just give me another vehicle that does not have these issues? I feel like I was conned into buying this vehicle because had I known it had any damage like what I am experiencing right now, I would not have purchased the vehicle. I would like anyone's opinion who knows what I'm talking about and also knows what kind of Rights I have. I am contemplating hiring an attorney because I feel like I was completely screwed over and been given the runaround for months. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know how much wiggle room you have yet. Look at your lemon laws. My personal experience for what its worth. I had a 2019 MDX Tech, and now have a 2020 MDX Adv. Acura bought back my 2019 because it fell under my state lemon laws (3 weeks out of service for the same issue, and 3 times to the shop for the same issue). They had my car a total of almost 3 months and still not able to resolve the issue. It took about 2 months working with Acura (dealership can't/won't do anything for you since its a manufacturer issue), but I didn't need a lawyer, just some patience and a soar tongue from all the biting. With me they initially offered to do a cash settlement which i declined... it wasn't enough to pay the car off so that I could just sell it. Eventually we saw eye to eye, and they did buy the car back in total of everything I paid initially for it, and then the dealership did step up and I got the adv for way less than the tech... I am guessing partially to make me happy, and partially to get rid of the 2020's to make room for the new cars coming in, this was all completed in Feb.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I purchased a 2019 MDX a spec with 2900 miles on it. I was told that the shop foreman was driving it as his perk vehicle. I got a really good deal on it and when I drove it home, I noticed I was pulling to the right. Upon further examination on the exterior of the vehicle oh, I noticed that the left bumper where the front air dam attaches to the top part of the bumper on the left front wheel well was somewhat detached and I noticed that the fog lights on the left side also was loose. I determined that the vehicle must have hit a curb or something because I looked up the Carfax and there was some suspension work done to it and they had to replace a wheel bearing. I must have brought the car back four times and told them that I needed a printout from the alignment computer, which they never supplied to me. I finally brought the car back again and I have a new service advisor who is taking care of me and told me that they were communicating with American Honda to get to the bottom of it and it may need a new subframe. I just purchase this car as new in January of this year. It's getting to the point that I do not want this car anymore. Do I have a case to tell the dealer that I want them to take the car back and just give me another vehicle that does not have these issues? I feel like I was conned into buying this vehicle because had I known it had any damage like what I am experiencing right now, I would not have purchased the vehicle. I would like anyone's opinion who knows what I'm talking about and also knows what kind of Rights I have. I am contemplating hiring an attorney because I feel like I was completely screwed over and been given the runaround for months. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sorry for your problems. Didn’t you look at the car and test drive it? How were you conned? The damage was obvious and a test drive would have shown the pulling. If it’s still pulling,they should be keeping the car until they fix it. Then if they can’t fix it,they will compensate you. Every state has different laws. You don’t say where you are. Unless they actually conned you, I don’t think you have a case on a new car. Unless they can’t fix it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
So this vehicle had never before been titled, correct? Laws regarding disclosing damage to a car being sold as "new" vary from state to state, so you need to investigate whether or not the law was followed. If not then certainly you can legally pursue the dealership for fraud. In the end you have to decide whether or not the deal was good enough to allow them to properly repair the car, or if you should force them to take it back if that is within your rights for your state.

·
Registered
145 Posts
New = never titled and/or licensed. I find it hard to imagine anywhere a never titled vehicle could have 2900 miles on it. If it was indeed sold to you as NEW, you probably have legal recourse on the vehicle condition. If it was sold as "used" more than likely there was a disclosure you signed indicating that other than the existing factory warranty the dealer and acura are not providing any other warranty, nor any condition disclosure, basically selling the vehicle "as is" "no warranty provided" and any disputes will go to arbitration for resolution.

Even on a "new" car that I've purchased I don't start negotiations until I have test driven the exact car I intend to purchase long enough to satsify me. On a used vehicle from a dealer it's a longer drive, and hour or so inspection for anything in question about the advertized condition, a copy of carfax and a copy from the dealer of any factory work done on the vehicle. Carfax often does not include ALL the work done on a car, only from shops that report data to carfax. Dealers have always provided me a printout of ALL the records they have of work done by any dealership for that brand. They do black out any owner information.

·
Registered
772 Posts
New = never titled and/or licensed. I find it hard to imagine anywhere a never titled vehicle could have 2900 miles on it. If it was indeed sold to you as NEW, you probably have legal recourse on the vehicle condition. If it was sold as "used" more than likely there was a disclosure you signed indicating that other than the existing factory warranty the dealer and acura are not providing any other warranty, nor any condition disclosure, basically selling the vehicle "as is" "no warranty provided" and any disputes will go to arbitration for resolution.

Even on a "new" car that I've purchased I don't start negotiations until I have test driven the exact car I intend to purchase long enough to satsify me. On a used vehicle from a dealer it's a longer drive, and hour or so inspection for anything in question about the advertized condition, a copy of carfax and a copy from the dealer of any factory work done on the vehicle. Carfax often does not include ALL the work done on a car, only from shops that report data to carfax. Dealers have always provided me a printout of ALL the records they have of work done by any dealership for that brand. They do black out any owner information.
On the contrary. Cars driven by dealership personnel get miles like that put on them all the time and then sold to an "original" owner. In the biz they are known as a "demo". When I was selling cars we put them into service (reporting them as "in-service" starts the warranty period) and parked them at 5,500 miles and sold them at a discount of $500-1,000 less than a zero mile car. Personally I would never pay that close to new price for a car with that many miles, but there were customers out there that had the mentality that the initial bugs were worked out and liked the discount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know how much wiggle room you have yet. Look at your lemon laws. My personal experience for what its worth. I had a 2019 MDX Tech, and now have a 2020 MDX Adv. Acura bought back my 2019 because it fell under my state lemon laws (3 weeks out of service for the same issue, and 3 times to the shop for the same issue). They had my car a total of almost 3 months and still not able to resolve the issue. It took about 2 months working with Acura (dealership can't/won't do anything for you since its a manufacturer issue), but I didn't need a lawyer, just some patience and a soar tongue from all the biting. With me they initially offered to do a cash settlement which i declined... it wasn't enough to pay the car off so that I could just sell it. Eventually we saw eye to eye, and they did buy the car back in total of everything I paid initially for it, and then the dealership did step up and I got the adv for way less than the tech... I am guessing partially to make me happy, and partially to get rid of the 2020's to make room for the new cars coming in, this was all completed in Feb.
What was the problem with your lemon? Did it make you nervous to get another one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
There are reports of these subframes failing while driving, Google it. I think soon there will be a class action lawsuit and Acura will have to recall those models, which they better do soon because if someone dies in an accident they will be sued big time for failure to fix a problem they knew existed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are reports of these subframes failing while driving, Google it. I think soon there will be a class action lawsuit and Acura will have to recall those models, which they better do soon because if someone dies in an accident they will be sued big time for failure to fix a problem they knew existed.
interesting

·
Registered
60 Posts
What was the problem with your lemon? Did it make you nervous to get another one?
My car had a few issues... made me feel like it was just made on a friday as people were rushing to make it to the bar as they were all minor, except one that was really annoying. There was a noise in the steering like something was rattling around. They put all kinds of scopes on it and replaced the rack twice to try and make the noise go away, it never did. Finally told them they have had my car apart down the frame in some place enough and that it would never drive right again, and most likely start rattling in the dash now too.

Funny thing... about half the loaners I had during the 3 months it was in the shop had the same noise too, so it seems it just a noise most don't either notice or care about.

I was concerned about getting another car, but the way Acura and the dealer took care of me, I figured I would give it another chance, plus they really sweetened the deal on the Advanced I have now to a point I couldn't say no. It really was the only thing that got me back into it. I was ready to uber to another Manufacturer once turning the car in.

That being said, I am very happy with the new car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe you are possibly referring to an issue with the previous generation mdx. ‘Google it’ really is not a sufficient reply when the current poster is having an issue with a different generation vehicle. Please be more specific if you could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts