Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Xavier here from the DC/MD/VA; 15 year technician for ACURA. I tend to make build threads on every car I get, so I figure why break tradition. I recently regrettably sold my coveted Supercharged 1999 BMW ///M3 because I was foolish to think that I was getting too old to be driving around a rare sports car everyday. The plan was to get another 4 door M car... what I ended up with was a bit... unexpected. I test drove a bunch of E90 M3's... didn't fall in love. I was in need of a daily driver, so I started of thinking of something easy I could get that would hold me over until I found another BMW. I found this 99k mile, 2010 Tech-E MDX at an independent dealer in Falls Church, VA. Though I knew why it was probably traded in the first place (oil consumption), I thought it was clean enough to putt around in for a few months.
Here she is.

The first order of business was to get her somewhat reliable so I went ahead and replaced common items to go bad on these. I got a new radiator and alternator and installed them.

After this, I got 4 tires and performed a 4WA. I also replaced all fluids including Oil and filter, ATF flush with 12 quarts of Honda Genuine ATF and I also did the software update for the TQ converter shudder. I replaced the transfer case 80W90 gear oil along with rear diff with HONDA DPSF. I also performed a brake fluid flush with Synthetic DOT4. After all work was performed, I did a 800 mile road trip to and from the DMV and Columbus OH to visit friends. I then confirmed what I knew all along... that the engine was consuming oil.

The vehicle is currently on part 2 of oil consumption test and will be approved for pistons and rings at which point I will overhaul the bottom end. Since it's my own personal car, I'm going to take it a step further from the NP2 recall and send the cylinder heads out for a clean up, new valve seals and a slight milling for what I hope will grant me some more power with the bump in compression. The timing belt is also original to the car, so at that point I will also be performing an timing belt and water pump service, spark plug replacement along with 24 valve adjustment. To add to the deluxe sundae, the front seals are also leaking so I will also be replacing all o rings and crank seal along with a reapplication of liquid gasket to the oil pump assembly.

Since this forum for the 2nd gens seem heavily concentrated on oil consumption as of late, I figure this would be a good outlet to document my work. If you're interested in what gets when we do pistons, stay tuned to this thread, as it will surely be PICTURE HEAVY. I plan to document everything through this forum to hopefully make the car a bit easier to sell when I decide to.

Photo of the last piston job I did on a J37 SH-AWD TL:

Oil control rings completely seized.....I expect to see much of the same on my car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello everyone. Xavier here from the DC/MD/VA; 15 year technician for ACURA. I tend to make build threads on every car I get, so I figure why break tradition. I recently regrettably sold my coveted Supercharged 1999 BMW ///M3 because I was foolish to think that I was getting too old to be driving around a rare sports car everyday. The plan was to get another 4 door M car... what I ended up with was a bit... unexpected. I test drove a bunch of E90 M3's... didn't fall in love. I was in need of a daily driver, so I started of thinking of something easy I could get that would hold me over until I found another BMW. I found this 99k mile, 2010 Tech-E MDX at an independent dealer in Falls Church, VA. Though I knew why it was probably traded in the first place (oil consumption), I thought it was clean enough to putt around in for a few months.
Here she is.
View attachment 113324
View attachment 113325 View attachment 113326

The first order of business was to get her somewhat reliable so I went ahead and replaced common items to go bad on these. I got a new radiator and alternator and installed them.

View attachment 113327
View attachment 113328
View attachment 113329

After this, I got 4 tires and performed a 4WA. I also replaced all fluids including Oil and filter, ATF flush with 12 quarts of Honda Genuine ATF and I also did the software update for the TQ converter shudder. I replaced the transfer case 80W90 gear oil along with rear diff with HONDA DPSF. I also performed a brake fluid flush with Synthetic DOT4. After all work was performed, I did a 800 mile road trip to and from the DMV and Columbus OH to visit friends. I then confirmed what I knew all along... that the engine was consuming oil.

The vehicle is currently on part 2 of oil consumption test and will be approved for pistons and rings at which point I will overhaul the bottom end. Since it's my own personal car, I'm going to take it a step further from the NP2 recall and send the cylinder heads out for a clean up, new valve seals and a slight milling for what I hope will grant me some more power with the bump in compression. The timing belt is also original to the car, so at that point I will also be performing an timing belt and water pump service, spark plug replacement along with 24 valve adjustment. To add to the deluxe sundae, the front seals are also leaking so I will also be replacing all o rings and crank seal along with a reapplication of liquid gasket to the oil pump assembly.

Since this forum for the 2nd gens seem heavily concentrated on oil consumption as of late, I figure this would be a good outlet to document my work. If you're interested in what gets when we do pistons, stay tuned to this thread, as it will surely be PICTURE HEAVY. I plan to document everything through this forum to hopefully make the car a bit easier to sell when I decide to.

Photo of the last piston job I did on a J37 SH-AWD TL:

View attachment 113330

Oil control rings completely seized.....I expect to see much of the same on my car.
If your timing belt is original on the car, the timing belt is suppose to be done for free along with the engine oil fix (new pistons, spark plugs etc). Valve adjustments and anything near that area should be half price since labour is already done by them taking all the stuff out to preform the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your timing belt is original on the car, the timing belt is suppose to be done for free along with the engine oil fix (new pistons, spark plugs etc). Valve adjustments and anything near that area should be half price since labour is already done by them taking all the stuff out to preform the repair.

Wrong. Only thing included in the NP2 warranty extension is pistons, rings, all upper gaskets, seals and o rings + head gaskets and misc. hardware. Anything that is done on the engine as a "while you're in there upsell" is additional labor and parts costs. The only reason the additional work would be further discounted for me is because I'm able to get a discount on the additional parts needed and I'm not about to charge myself for the labor needed to do it all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wrong. Only thing included in the NP2 warranty extension is pistons, rings, all upper gaskets, seals and o rings + head gaskets and misc. hardware. Anything that is done on the engine as a "while you're in there upsell" is additional labor and parts costs. The only reason the additional work would be further discounted for me is because I'm able to get a discount on the additional parts needed and I'm not about to charge myself for the labor needed to do it all.
Not wrong for the timing belt. Just ask them to read the service bulletin and it clearly says “replace timing belt if needed” don’t believe me still I’ll attach proof for you once I’m home.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not wrong for the timing belt. Just ask them to read the service bulletin and it clearly says “replace timing belt if needed” don’t believe me still I’ll attach proof for you once I’m home.

Lol, you do realize he's a technician at an acura dealer? So any additional labor to replace parts is free since he's doing it himself..

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would like to see more pictures of the pistons and cylinder bores.

And since you are Acura technician, do you know is there any difference between original and new oil rings?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So you are Acura technician and you are allowed to work on your own vehicle at the dealer shop.? That is awesome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
NSXavier this is AWESOME! Please do share as you complete the warranty repair. Great job and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
607 Posts
You mention that the oil control rings are completely seized.
At this point you won't be interested in soaking them by squirting marvel mystery oil or bg44k into the spark plug holes, but have you ever heard of such a piston soak to free up oil control rings?

·
Registered
485 Posts
You mention that the oil control rings are completely seized.
At this point you won't be interested in soaking them by squirting marvel mystery oil or bg44k into the spark plug holes, but have you ever heard of such a piston soak to free up oil control rings?
dimexide will unseize them for sure...

·
Registered
176 Posts

They just forgot to add valve clearance and the main oil pump reseal. Valve clearance is being charged to me at 2 hours labour and oil pump seal is 700 cad.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Sorry for double post, picture came out weird. I will post my full service once I get it done on the 21st of August. I am just saying timing belt is free so you don’t get charged. I am not sure whether they have changed the bulletin but I literally went to the dealership 6 days ago and he said the timing belt is free of charge both parts and labour.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is getting annoying, any idea why the picture isn’t coming out right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You may have gotten the timing belt done for free parts and labor, but it is not stated anywhere in the service bulletin, nor is it listed in the parts list. It can be done while the other work is done but it is not included in the warranty extension. This is in the U.S. it might be different in Canada.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You may have gotten the timing belt done for free parts and labor, but that is not stated anywhere in the service bulletin. It can be done while the other work is done but it is not included in the warranty extension.
I will personally on the 21st show you the service bulletin itself here on this very forum. I don’t know why I would be lying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not saying you are lying. I looked at the service bulletin myself, and it is not stated anywhere. Again, this is in the U.S. not Canada.

·
Registered
607 Posts
At times, my Service Manager did not know of nor find an existing Service Bulletin, until I gave them the number.
I guess they struggle looking for "keywords" just like I do when I GOOGLE somethings.
On the 21st, we'll have another number to help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
E90/E92/E93 is my dream car I just got a MDX for my DD but hopefully I will be able to pick up a ///M in a year
Sold my E30 convertible and miss it dearly

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not saying you are lying. I looked at the service bulletin myself, and it is not stated anywhere. Again, this is in the U.S. not Canada.
Ohh that makes complete sense. I am in Canada lol. Could be different as you just stated.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts