Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone A-B'd the base system w/infiniti 625 x 4 aginst the bose touring system? any problems w/heat when mounting an amplifier in the storage compartment? is the hid lamp upgrade really worth the 500 bucks, does it really make that big a differance and is it legal in california?
I just discovered this awsome site last week, forums answer many of my questions, great job!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most of the subjects have been well covered, you can find them in search. Quick answers though:

The Infinity upgrade is huge over the Bose. Get rid of the Bose...

No mentioned problem of heat with an amp mentioned. If you put in a huge one, might want to vent it if you were going to really turn it up

HID upgrade is worth 500 bucks for sure, but it is not legal in CA (or any other stae I beleive other than for show cars). Halogens were not legal either in the early 80s.................................... If the legal issue is a big one, there are some good upgrade Halogen bulbs that improve things, but not as much as HIDS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just got infinity 625's x 4 at circuit city, i printed the ad page from buyloud.com and they actually matched the price! ($69.00 a pair, vs. there sale price of $95.00) w/2 sets of spkr harness and 4 sq. ft. of dynamat extreme, total cost $210.00, cant go wrong!
now as for the rear sub-woofer, i have a Denon 150 watt amp i plan on installing under the front passenger seat, any sugestions on a sub that would complement this set-up?, does it really have to be free-air type? should i use speaker level signal BEFORE or AFTER the factory sub amp for the Denon amp?, power will be direct from the battery (taping off the aux power jack dont seem like a good idea) any good way to route cables?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey vstdave, You say here in your post, Infinity 625's? But in Danal's post you say Inf. 652i's? Did you use the 652i's? I've done the front one's, but still debating on the rear ones. I looked at some others to fit back there that are comp. to the Inf's, but I think I'll go back 2 the 652i's. My question is, how did you alter the rain basket to make them fit? I don't want to alter the mounts 2 much, b/c it's a lease. I suppose i could always buy new rain baskets when/ if the vehicle is turned back in. I like the sound of the fronts vs stocks. What ya think? All help greatly appreciated!:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lrpba300 said:
My question is, how did you alter the rain basket to make them fit? I don't want to alter the mounts 2 much, b/c it's a lease
I swapped out my rear speakers for the Infinity's, and the modifications to the rain baskets were so minor there is no way anyone would ever notice the change. And remember, most lease inspectors inspect many, many brands of vehicles, and chances are they won't know the MDX too well. So I'd be surprised if they even knew the MDX had a rain basket in the rear, let alone what it should look like.

And if you're really worried, buy spare baskets to put in later. I doubt they're more than $10 each. I found a site that sells OEM parts for the MDX. Send an e-mail to [email protected] telling them what you're looking for.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have now put in all 4 Infinity's 652i's & the sound is excellent. This is the way the stereo should have sounded from the factory. Oh well, it's great now:D

·
Registered
570 Posts
No. No caps. I like it w/ a little more bass. Not "thumpy", but good bass. I'm happy w/ them. :2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Lrpba300 said:
No. No caps. I like it w/ a little more bass. Not "thumpy", but good bass. I'm happy w/ them. :2:
I am going the same route myself. Should have it done tomorrow. I noted a few discussions on using caps, but it seems most are just pleased with the overall improvement of the Infinitys over the stock Bose.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Installation completed! Used Dynamat Extreme as the mounting interface, and used left over sections of Dynamat to plaster on the inside of the doors to further reduce any resonance. Very pleased with the results!
A significant improvement for just under $100.

I noticed the rear door Bose speakers, although the same size as the front, are even cheaper. They have smaller voice coils than the front ones. How much did that save them? Talk about pinching pennies. The same lousy paper cone surrounds. They are really some crap.
:28:

·
Registered
570 Posts
DaleB, let me (us) know how ya like the Inf. in the 4 door's. Yeh, the back spkrs were pretty cheap. I guess you have 2 cut some corners to get the BASE cost of MDX down to 35K:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
They are great! A significant improvement with balanced sound without overly boomy bass, and greater clarity.

All Acura had to do was put in a receiver with some decent 4 ohm power and add good speakers like the Infinitys.
Maybe a modest 4 ohm amp for a sub on the same line as the Inifinitys.

For extra, offer something on the line of the Mark Levison they use with Lexus.

The Bose Blows! Sounds like a boom box in comparison. My '96 Villager sounded better with the Ford Premium system, which is no real winner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
DaleB said:
Installation completed! ...A significant improvement for just under $100.
:28:
Dale,

Where did you get 4 Infinities and Dynamat + installation for under $100? I'm not really unhappy with the Bose system, but with all the positive comments on the Infinity 652i upgrade, I might go for it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mikel51 said:

Dale,

Where did you get 4 Infinities and Dynamat + installation for under $100? I'm not really unhappy with the Bose system, but with all the positive comments on the Infinity 652i upgrade, I might go for it.
I apologize! That should have been under $200. The speakers go for about $70 a pair, and the Dynamat Extreme $10 pair.
Go to www.millionbuy.com
You won't be sorry!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
We really ought to...

Find the IDIOT within Acura that the Bose makerting machine sucked in and let them see/hear the difference!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Doubt it!

DaleB said:
Probably went for the 'low bid'....
Bose is one helluva a MARKETING MACHINE,
they command INSANELY INFLATED prices for their products.

They spread around money like a farmer spreads manure! I'm sure the Acura folks were "treated" to all manor of inducements...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Low bid! That's funny:D (prob. right though) I personally think Bose makes some good products, unforchanetly, there not in our MDX:3:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts