Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into upgrading my Bose Stereo System that came with my 2001 MDX Touring Package, along with eight speakers.

After considerable surfing on this site, I've determined that going with an upgrade will make a significant difference. Replacing the four door speakers with 6 1/2" 3-way speakers seems to be a good decision.

Now, here's dilemma #1. Are there any suggestions for tweeter replacement? Comments? Opinions? Experience? Dilemma #2: The eighth speaker is referred to as a 2.5" Twiddler located above the 3rd row of seats. What is a twiddler? And finally Dilemma #3: What is the base power of the Bose Stereo system? Spec's? Watts? Etc...

I believe that going with a 4 ohm subwoofer and planting a separate amp in the back is a good call. But, I'd like to know my base power as I am going to be making a decision on the remaining speakers, twiddlers (?) and tweeters. It should help me as I am listening and shopping for speakers....

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mark ~

You might want to hold off undertaking replacing all the speakers and shoot for replacing those door speakers, first. After doing that, you may come to the conclusion that you don't need to do the rest. However, if you still want to go further in the upgrade, your best bet is going to be to do a search on this site. Use keywords like 'Pioneer', 'Infinity', 'Bose speakers', 'subwoofer', etc. There's a wealth of information here and a lot of it includes step-by-step pictures, too. I know I've seen pics for replacing the tweeters in the doors. I also remember reading that folks found improvement in their 2001 MDX subwoofers by adding Dynamat behind it. If I remember correctly, this was a location in the 2001's where there was little to no, soundproofing. Theres a lot of soundproofing behind the subwoofer in the 2002's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door Speakers & Dynamat First !

Charlieinnj:

Now, that is a very practical solution. I have looked around this site, and saw some of the upgrades....I loved the documentation on the Pioneers. Also saw the Infinities....good also.

The Dynamat for the subwoofer is a good idea. Didn't realize that Acura scrimped on soundproofing back there.

Any ideas on Acuras focus on soundproofing for the 2002 MDX? Did Acura soundproof the doors or add foam to the undercarriage?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mark......

Per Acura, "a variety of enhancements have been made to produce a quieter, more comfortable ride. These include thicker windshield glass, and acoustic roof lining material from front to rear. A layer of Thinsulate insulation has also been added to key areas of the interior, including inside the door panels."

I remember when I was doing my door speaker upgrade, I had some Dynamat left over so, I decided to look behind the subwoofer in my 'X. There was essentially, a sizable pillow behind it for soundproofing, so I decided against adding additional Dynamat.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
fiberous insulation vs dynamat

While both serve to "quiet down" resonances, they do so in different ways.

You can definately benefit from "dynamating" the metal behind door speakers or subwoofer IN ADDITION to the thinsulate.

The fiber-type insulation has a similar effect to having a "larger ( or 'infinte') enclosure" while the dynamat actually "deadens" the metal. Metal surfaces treated with dynamat are much less prone to transmitting any sounds, including vibration, road noise, ringing, and thumps.
The fiber is less effective for those kinds of sounds, though it does a good job of preventing the cavity from interacting with the speaker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dynamat + Thinsulate= Quiet MDX

Renov8r:

Hadn't considered a combination. Very interesting....

So, if I am reading your e mail thread correctly, thinsulate is the fiber type insulation you mentioned. This has the effect of "creating a larger enclosure" or "boxing" the speaker, in a matter of speaking. Thus, helping sound and minimizing, or "quieting," different frequencies of resonance.

And, as far as the Dynamat, this material "deadens" the metal in the surrounding area and dampens various road noises.

Sounds like a good combination to me.

I will find the nearest Dynamat dealership and check it out!

Thanks.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Mark Turner
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing