Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bose system with 6 dick CD in dash. System sounds very nice but lacks a base punch, particularly at lower volume levels. I almost wish it had a loudness button. Anybody share this observation? I'd like to improve it but don't want to start dismantling what is there already.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dale B
Thanks. I saw the thread from mushman where he used Polk dx6 speakers in the doors. Any idea if they might be better than the Infinity 652's? And BTW, where is the sub?

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Let's not forget that when you replace speakers, you should do so taking into account the crossover and frequency ranges of the speakers. This is going to be vital to the performance of the sound system.

I'd be extremely interested if someone has a tone generator to find out exactly what the crossover frequencies are in the MDX. That will give a good indication of what speakers to use based on the speaker's specifications. Or, if the crossover frequency is adjustable. A good sub should be able to go right into the almost-inaudible range of 20 hz.

The best test of any subwoofer is playing the Sting CD, "Brand New Day". Track one on the CD, for about the first 30 seconds you should hear nothing but chest-rumbling low frequency harmonics. If you can't hear a thing, or hear very little, your sub is not doing the job. My Velodyne subwoofer at home will rattle the foundation with that test :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Frequency Issue and Which Sub?

You bring up a good point McIntosh. Given the frequency ranges, which sub would be best-suited for the bose set-up? Any suggestions out there? By the way, I've upgraded my pathetic stock bose speakers to the 652's and love them. Now, I'm itchin' to upgrade the sub.. but which would work best without upgrading the amp.. and actually fit within the limited enclosure?
P.S. McIntosh, you're right about the Sting Brand new day first track.. a great test! My Velodyne HGS-12 eats it up!!:2:

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Tim When did you change your user name to McIntosh, whats next Techniques? Teac? LOL J/K will try the Sting thing.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
It changed to McIntosh when I bought my Mac receiver :2: :2: :2: ....although I'm still a big Sansui fan at heart! BTW, my new speakers stand 4' 2" tall and weigh over 220 lb each.....Altec 511B horns and two Altec 15" white woofers in each cabinet :D :D

I've got the Velodyne CHT-12, actually, which I'll probably end up selling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts