Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I was bored at work today so I decided to post up a few pics from what I call a day spa for my daily beater car..

I had a few pesky parking lot dings removed followed by a full handwash and polishing from my buddy of mine who is a professional detailer..

Here are the pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
nice! :29:

·
Registered
23 Posts
more info on those running board please?

did it come with the car or after market? were the mounting holes pre drill to mount or do i have to drill new one?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey all.

I was bored at work today so I decided to post up a few pics from what I call a day spa for my daily beater car..

I had a few pesky parking lot dings removed followed by a full handwash and polishing from my buddy of mine who is a professional detailer..

Here are the pics..
Well done on the engine. Just wondering how did you clean it? what chemical did you use? I plan on cleaning my engine too but scared I might short some wirings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Love that Bukake. Been procrastinating on getting a foam gun myself.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more info on those running board please?

did it come with the car or after market? were the mounting holes pre drill to mount or do i have to drill new one?
Those are the OEM Sport running boards from Acura which did not come with the car but was added by me afterwards and all the holes were Pre-Drilled from the factory..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well done on the engine. Just wondering how did you clean it? what chemical did you use? I plan on cleaning my engine too but scared I might short some wirings.

Thanks.
Thanks. We used the same soap solution on the engine that we used on the body which was the Chemical Guys Gloss Wash Auto bath and All In One Polish Sealant mixed into the Bottle that you see attached to the washer nozzle.

No worries on shorting out any wiring. All I did was place a bag over my Cone filter and washed away. I have been washing the engines on all my cars for over 20 years without any incident.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love that Bukake. Been procrastinating on getting a foam gun myself.
Do it man..It is the best thing ever..I already made my poor friend wash all my cars (5 in total) and they all look amazing for weeks afterwards..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just in case anyone was wondering this is a 2008 MDX with 110k on the clock and is daily driven everyday in NYC and is mostly parked outdoors all year around...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks. We used the same soap solution on the engine that we used on the body which was the Chemical Guys Gloss Wash Auto bath and All In One Polish Sealant mixed into the Bottle that you see attached to the washer nozzle.

No worries on shorting out any wiring. All I did was place a bag over my Cone filter and washed away. I have been washing the engines on all my cars for over 20 years without any incident.
Feel free to keep washing your engine bay like that, but I'd strongly advise against it. I've seen way too many instances of issues when people start dumping water or pressurized water into engine bays. Engine bays were not meant to be covered in soap with running water dumped into them.

Just because it drove fine after you washed it doesn't mean you won't encounter problems later. Water and soap gets into everything, every crack, nook, bracket, sensor, etc. and 50% of it you can't see. Yes, many critical components and electronics are sealed, but not everything.

Also, letting soap sit on stuff and rinsing with water doesn't really clean an engine bay. You need elbow grease, you need to physically touch and wipe/rub surfaces. A simple rag with water goes a long way... and some degreaser if necessary.

Give me a wet rag and I can clean an engine bay in 10-15 minutes. Its an even faster wipe down of just dusty surfaces if you continually keep in clean. It simply isn't worth the risk (even if a low risk) to dump water in there when a rag can accomplish the same thing in a similar amount of time.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Keep us updated on your long term review on that CG Gloss Wash Auto Bath Product. :29: I've tried many products but just like food, I'm always looking to try something new.

Currently have CC Quartz coating on the MDX followed up by Meg's D156 spray wax after every wash to keep it slick. I've used some CG products in the past and consider them a good value.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Feel free to keep washing your engine bay like that, but I'd strongly advise against it. I've seen way too many instances of issues when people start dumping water or pressurized water into engine bays. Engine bays were not meant to be covered in soap with running water dumped into them.

Just because it drove fine after you washed it doesn't mean you won't encounter problems later. Water and soap gets into everything, every crack, nook, bracket, sensor, etc. and 50% of it you can't see. Yes, many critical components and electronics are sealed, but not everything.

Also, letting soap sit on stuff and rinsing with water doesn't really clean an engine bay. You need elbow grease, you need to physically touch and wipe/rub surfaces. A simple rag with water goes a long way... and some degreaser if necessary.

Give me a wet rag and I can clean an engine bay in 10-15 minutes. Its an even faster wipe down of just dusty surfaces if you continually keep in clean. It simply isn't worth the risk (even if a low risk) to dump water in there when a rag can accomplish the same thing in a similar amount of time.
I respect your advice and opinion on this matter but for what it is worth I have been washing the engine bays of my vehicles like this for over 20 years and almost every one of my vehicles that have been sold have been to people who I know still today and are driving around in my old cars on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever.

My method of cleaning is to not let it get to the point where excessive grime and grease have built up onto it but rather to do it on a consistent basis where allowing for the soap to sit and penetrate the surface will yield a good result.

In all of my years being an automotive mechanic (20+) I am constantly inside or under my engine compartment tinkering with something and have yet to see any detrimental effects of washing my bay like that. Keep in mind an engine was designed to be driven through many conditions and climates with water and moisture being one of them. I should also have added that after I power wash the engine bay I do finish it off by blowing everything dry with compressed air while the engine is running to make sure no residual water remains.

Perhaps you have witnessed many people cleaning their engine incorrectly in the past to make you feel that way.

Thanks for the concern though. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep us updated on your long term review on that CG Gloss Wash Auto Bath Product. :29: I've tried many products but just like food, I'm always looking to try something new.

Currently have CC Quartz coating on the MDX followed up by Meg's D156 spray wax after every wash to keep it slick. I've used some CG products in the past and consider them a good value.
Will do..I actually work for an exotic car line company and I am thinking of introducing this lineup to our detailing department as this stuff actually works and saves a lot of time in the process.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've only bagged my alt and air filter over the years and never had any issues. Technically I don't think you even need to bag the newer alternators as each strand of wire is dipped/coated but personally I don't want to risk it and do it as a safety precaution.

I've found Castrol Super Clean to be effective too at removing grime in the engine bay. I generally warm up the engine just enough to get it warm and found the cleaners work more effectively that way too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotta say your MDX looks amazing. I have always liked the Acura maroon

What pressure do you wash with?

For your engine bay, do you also bag your alt?
Thanks.

The pressure washer puts out 1400psi but the nozzle is adjustable itself.

When I am applying the soap I adjust it to halfway and when rinsing I turn it to roughly 3/4 of the way for the body and engine and all the way for the suspension.

I do not bag the alternator but just steer clear of directly applying water to it..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've only bagged my alt and air filter over the years and never had any issues. Technically I don't think you even need to bag the newer alternators as each strand of wire is dipped/coated but personally I don't want to risk it and do it as a safety precaution.

I've found Castrol Super Clean to be effective too at removing grime in the engine bay. I generally warm up the engine just enough to get it warm and found the cleaners work more effectively that way too.
Alpine,

I find Castrol Super Clean to be highly effective but have found that it left white stains on painted surfaces and also on aluminum surfaces and was turned off by that. They may have changed their formula recently but my last experience with them was in 1999-2000 and never used it again..

·
Registered
169 Posts
I respect your advice and opinion on this matter but for what it is worth I have been washing the engine bays of my vehicles like this for over 20 years and almost every one of my vehicles that have been sold have been to people who I know still today and are driving around in my old cars on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever.

My method of cleaning is to not let it get to the point where excessive grime and grease have built up onto it but rather to do it on a consistent basis where allowing for the soap to sit and penetrate the surface will yield a good result.

In all of my years being an automotive mechanic (20+) I am constantly inside or under my engine compartment tinkering with something and have yet to see any detrimental effects of washing my bay like that. Keep in mind an engine was designed to be driven through many conditions and climates with water and moisture being one of them. I should also have added that after I power wash the engine bay I do finish it off by blowing everything dry with compressed air while the engine is running to make sure no residual water remains.

Perhaps you have witnessed many people cleaning their engine incorrectly in the past to make you feel that way.

Thanks for the concern though. :)
Ughhh, I still can't imagine spraying pressurized water into the engine bay! :), though following up with compressed air seems like a good idea. I don't doubt you've had success with this method over the years, I just cringe at the thought! To each his own! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
How do those pressure washers work? Do you need to scrub the soapy solution while it's on the car by hand? Or does the pressure blast away the dirt, grime?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks.

The pressure washer puts out 1400psi but the nozzle is adjustable itself.

When I am applying the soap I adjust it to halfway and when rinsing I turn it to roughly 3/4 of the way for the body and engine and all the way for the suspension.

I do not bag the alternator but just steer clear of directly applying water to it..
ThanX, I doubt that I'll be using my pressure washer on my MDX any time soon. it's a gas version 3000PSI and not easy to control/lower the pressure without stalling the engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts