Votes: 84 55.3%
  • Plan to have BSM

Votes: 33 21.7%
  • Don\'t have, and not planning on it.

Votes: 35 23.0%

Body Side Moulding

7K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  DaleB 
#1 ·
How many have, do not have but planning to install, or decided to do without?

#2 ·
Dingless so far in Oregon

Dale, I have gone back and forth on this issue. A few weeks ago I was defiantly going to get BSM's but have changed my mind. After having the X for 2 1/2 weeks and 3 coats of Zaino I have really gotten to like the way it looks without them.

Although they don't look bad they still look like an afterthought on the MDX. Some cars look like they are designed for the BSM's, the MDX is not one of them. Also the way the X is shaped I'm not convinced that they will work in most cases.

For now I have decided to take the risk, leave the X at home when going to busy public places, park in the extreme empty end of lots, etc. Today I even changed restaurants at lunch because I could not find a low risk parking spot.

I may change my mind again after a few good dings. I'm hoping a better design comes along that will give more protection and look better----not very likely IMO.

#3 ·
I know what you are saying, I go back and forth on this a lot myself. Plus, I live in a congested area, every main street is like a parking lot even on weekends.
I am very careful where I do park, it's nice when you can catch the shade of new Expedition or other SUVS congregated away from the masses.
I doubt the Maniks do much for protection and if they got dented I'd be pissed too, although the money out would not be as bad.
They do seem to act as a deterent. I think people avoid parking to close when they see them as they look more formidable than they probably are. It's likely a false sense of security but more than I had before !

#4 ·
I think the BSMs look like they were 'meant to be there' on my Red Rock MDX. I can't understand why they weren't put there at the factory!

#5 ·
Well, technically, I 'have' them. Still in the box as delivered from Tim. Had planned on installing this week, until the garage door incident. I do want to get them installed as soon as possible (once I get the blue one back) though, since DH has become more 'comfortable' parking his TL next to the X and doesn't seem to be as concerned about where his door goes upon exiting his vehicle anymore. :(

Donna

#7 ·
I just got the bsm's delivered from Tim. Looks wise i'd have to say they probably are six of this, half dozen of that, beauty in the eye of the beholder type of thing. But I'm hoping it can prevent even some of the door dings that are inevitable, especially since I plan to have the MDX for the long haul.:D

#8 ·
I agree, the looks are simply a matter of taste. I didn't particularly like the looks, so I got my 'X without BSM. Later, I got a micro scratch from someone's car door, which almost made me change my mind. The BSM might have helped (in this instance, I'm pretty sure it would). But I still don't like the looks of the BSM, so...still without.

I wonder how vehicles with sturdier sides like the Saturn Vue hold up to dings in real life?

#9 ·
Be Patient, DaleB,

I'm absolutely *CERTAIN* :rolleyes:, given the DH's propensity for doing damage to my new vehicle :25:, that I'll be able to report back on some 'real life' situations soon as I get the blue one back and the BSM installed.

Donna

#11 ·
You need an extra category ... undecided :rolleyes:

I just got my 'X and I just couldn't decide on the BSM. It had placed the order and told the dealer I did not want it a few days before the 'X arrived.

I really like the look without, but like you, if I saw some proof that it had prevented dings, I might reconsider. I am in the suburbs, so the greatest dangers my 'X faces are the parking lots at the supermarket and the mall :D

I had seen a rocker panel molding on 'Xs at a dealer in NJ and it looked good. I will be there again next week and will try to swing by to get some photos. I was there a few weeks ago, but none of the cars had it installed. Maybe I'll be lucky this time.

#12 ·
DaleB - thanks for putting up the poll :D

As you know, I have the BSm & I think it has saved me from some "dings". No BSM will catch all dings due to the various sizes & heights of other cars - but a $98 investment to catch some of them sure makes sense to me :4:

#15 ·
DaleB said:
So far my estimate is the inverse of the results. But there are lots more members to go.
True, Dale, but I think we have selective inclusion here. My guess is those not interested at all in bsm's pass this thread by, and the real percent with bsm's is much lower than what we have so far.:26:

#17 ·
Have them. Doubt their usefulness. Don't like the way they look on the MDX. Too lazy/"scared" to remove them. Would NOT do it again. Glad it cost only $90+ from Tim.

All things considered, I strongly recommend putting them on "temporarily" like with masking tape or smth, and then really sleep on it - the way they look on YOUR car that is.

I am sure they will save a ding here and there. Just like I KNOW they will not save from many others.

I would add options to this poll:

have BSM and Happy
have BSM and UNHAPPY
removed BSM

#19 ·
color ?

I wonder if the color on the 'X matters - maybe BSMs stand out more (more noticeable) on the lighter colors ??? I don't regret putting them on my RR, and really don't see how it affects the overall lines, but it's all subjective . . . 'beauty is in the eye . . .'

Interesting thing is BSM's were NOT on the original accessory pricing sheets at the 3 dealers I worked with - I had to ask for them . . .

#20 ·
texrb said:
DaleB - thanks for putting up the poll :D

As you know, I have the BSm & I think it has saved me from some "dings". No BSM will catch all dings due to the various sizes & heights of other cars - but a $98 investment to catch some of them sure makes sense to me :4:
Absolutely. :25: My dealer in a city 100 miles away didn't have the BSM in when we were scheduled to drive down (June 8th) and pickup the SUV. We went and got the 02' MDX on the 8th anyway and the dealer shipped the parts to a Honda dealer in my home town a week later to have the Honda dealer install them yesterday. So I went almost two weeks without BSM and now have them. During the two weeks I wasn't sure if I was going to like their looks. Also, during the two weeks, I myself barely, and I mean barely, touched the MDX with the car door of my wife's Taurus and bingo, door ding, though very, very slight.

After the BSM were put on yesterday, I do in fact like the way they look (on SS color). AND they molding DID NOT cover the tiny ding I made myself, so nope, they will not stop all dings, only some portion. However, for when the ineviable dings do come, I did notice my local Acura dealer does offer the following if anyone wants to check and see if their dealer offers it too:

http://www.dentwiz.com/

#23 ·
DaleB said:
Well, you are on the far end of the bell curve right now. And our sampling is still quite small. But interesting comment, I did not expect that.
I have heard they are quite easy to remove with a heat gun/hair dryer, and just pull off gradually, clean up with isoporpyl, and repolish the area.
You "heard" correctly - there were several posters in the past who voiced their displeasure over BSM - I would guess, primarily, the looks.

I am just more lazy than anything else to remove it. Besides, once removed, it's a sure wasted $90. Now, at least there is a chance that by saving a ding here and there it will "pay" for itself.

BSM's protective abilities are relatively objective - it will or will not protect all MDX the same way, unless one owner installs them differently from another.

Looks are 100% subjective. That's why I advise you, on a day when you don't need to drive anywhere, put it on using masking tape or a scotch tape, and LOOK at it. Put it on one side only. Then go home, have breakfast, watch some TV and LOOK at it AGAIN, etc. Then, look at the clean side.

Since you already bought BSM, but, instead of installing, started this thread, IMO, you have doubts. Once installed, it will be too late. :(

#25 ·
DaleB said:

??
I never bought BSM, I just wonder about it's value I definitely would have put it on by now if I bought it. :)
Sorry, Dale, a little misunderstanding - I think it's someone else who posted in this thread that they had it but did not put it on yet.

My apologies for the confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.