Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 model and thinking about the getting the optional factory side moldings to prevent door dings. Has anyone gotten them? Just wondering if they help and how they look.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I put them on my 14 MDX and didn't do anything but gave it looks.. I had door dings.. sucks.. I traded my 14 in on a 16 MDX and didn't buy them to put on. Not sure if I'm going to do them. If you buy them they are easy to install if you follow directions.. use blue painters tape.. and a good clothing measure tape..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks

I put them on the 2017 Hybrid (and my RLX) mostly for looks. Side molding really does not protect your car unless the other door hits @ the exact right spot so I do not have much faith in the protective powers.

The side of most vehicles look plain to me, especially compared to how jazzed up the front and back are, so I feel that it just gives the profile a little more eye candy instead of just a door slab. Altho the MDX needs it less than the RLX as it has the chrome door handles and the chrome trim across the bottom to brighten things up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
If you put them on don't let it lull you into a sense of door ding security. With the various door shapes and vehicle heights, along with the curved MDX door, chances are good that it'll not prevent a ding. The false sense of door ding security could cause you to park closer to other cars and not park further out in the parking lot. Avoiding cars is the best defense against door dings. I avoid door dings almost completely by simply parking further away from others, seeking out more protected spots, etc.I don't mind walking further.

Personally I don't think the mouldings help the looks but that's subjective.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My neighbor has, but shortly after getting them, stopped using them. Not sure why and I didn't ask, but from my perspective, they looked hideous and like they could be easily stolen (maybe that's why he no longer uses them??). But yeah I see the point to them in a compact environment. My wife and friends roll their eyes every time I park far away, but they're getting used to it (and I offer to drop them off in front of locations anyway, which they generally refuse anyway).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am seriously considering buying them. Yes, agreed they look ugly but I don't mind using them in our condo parking where idiots can't respect other people's cars. (Not for public parking lots where i try my best to park "safe")

I already ran into a very minor ding, looks like body molding is basically useless.

Does anyone know (other than the ugly part) - Is there a negative feedback on how it may impact the car door or paint etc ??

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
^^ Would you keep the magnetic ones on permanently or routinely put them on and take them off? It seems that if you do the latter you run the risk of scratching the paint since if the surface isn't perfectly clean when they're put on there'll be grit between the moulding and the paint which would wear at it.

Another thought - what about using a car cover? I use one every day on one of my other cars I drive daily and used to use it on the MDX every day until my wife started driving it most of the time. A somewhat heavier (3-4 ply) car cover protects somewhat against door dings, regardless of the shape and height of the door of the offending car, offer protection when people brush by the vehicle, and add some theft protection due to blocking a view of the interior and making it more hassle for the thief who'll likely skip it and go to the next easier vehicle. In addition, if out in the sun it'll provide great protection to the paint surface, wax job, and interior and keeps the vehicle cleaner for longer. It's a bit of a hassle to put on and take off each time, especially for a tall vehicle like the MDX, but in reality only adds about an extra 2 minutes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts