Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
They don't work.

Too many different vehicle heights and door shapes. They'd have to stick out pretty far to actually stop the door -- much farther than they actually do.

Best option is to choose your parking spot wisely. I'll gladly walk the extra 50-100 feet at the store. I always head to the back of the parking lot.

·
Registered
474 Posts
No ... maybe p07r0457 could make us all some after he gets the oil temp scan tool made for us! This has been the worst vehicle for door dings of any car i have owned. I walk the extra distance whenever possible. Bubble wrap!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
No ... maybe p07r0457 could make us all some after he gets the oil temp scan tool made for us! This has been the worst vehicle for door dings of any car i have owned. I walk the extra distance whenever possible. Bubble wrap!
If it’s your worse car,it’s because people are more careless.

·
Registered
596 Posts
In the past I've used painted aftermarket body side moldings from Dawn Enterprises (www.sportwing.com) with a lot of success. They sit higher on the doors and do a pretty decent job. Here's a link to the MDX offering they currently have https://www.sportwing.com/FE7-MDX16-Acura-MDX-Painted-Body-Side-Molding?search= . The wife has them on her '12 TL and has caught more than a few possible dings. I have the OEM BSM's on my '17 MDX and it has also caught a few potential dings, although I'm pretty careful about where I park it...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
They don't work.

Too many different vehicle heights and door shapes. They'd have to stick out pretty far to actually stop the door -- much farther than they actually do.

Best option is to choose your parking spot wisely. I'll gladly walk the extra 50-100 feet at the store. I always head to the back of the parking lot.
That's the response I was going to post so I second what P07 stated.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The easiest fix is to choose your parking spacing wisely. I always park at the end of the lot or choose a space that is against a parking curb. I do not park in a space because it's close to the store. Use the parking distance for walking exercise. Another thing....don't ever park near those return basket spots.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've been considering adding chrome versions of the OEM moldings just for aesthetics (that or black gloss and black gloss all my chrome bits).
Acura is now on that bandwagon.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Where do we get the black emblems?
Acura dealer should be able to order them. I don't see 2019 stuff listed on my preferred online site, yet, so I don't have part numbers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In the past I've used painted aftermarket body side moldings from Dawn Enterprises (www.sportwing.com) with a lot of success. They sit higher on the doors and do a pretty decent job. Here's a link to the MDX offering they currently have https://www.sportwing.com/FE7-MDX16-Acura-MDX-Painted-Body-Side-Molding?search= . The wife has them on her '12 TL and has caught more than a few possible dings. I have the OEM BSM's on my '17 MDX and it has also caught a few potential dings, although I'm pretty careful about where I park it...
Originals are as ugly as f**k. These not only look out of place but also affix to the deepest curve of the door. How in the world do they suppose to help? We've had our 16 for 3 years and my wife parked at the worst possible spots ever, not a single ding. I don't know if people in Cali are uber considerable or we just got lucky.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Originals are as ugly as f**k. These not only look out of place but also affix to the deepest curve of the door. How in the world do they suppose to help? We've had our 16 for 3 years and my wife parked at the worst possible spots ever, not a single ding. I don't know if people in Cali are uber considerable or we just got lucky.
Obviously what they look like is purely subjective. I like them. We had them on our last MDX.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Acura/Honda have always chosen the furthest outward body line on the doors to have their BSM's designed to fit. Unfortunately many times it's really low. The other aftermarket ones I showed are a good alternative if you're looking for "function" rather than "form". Higher on the door - even though it's further in on the body line - many times can be more effective. On a car like the TL they actually are on a part of the door that's further out than the lower body line. I went aftermarket on my RDX and the TL, but OEM on the MDX. just a personal choice....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 MDX . I purchased a set of original body side molding from acuraparts.com. they are held on the doors via 2 very strong double face tape. Make sure you get the right color.

The molding kit came with templates that help you place the door moldings on the right places.

I have put my MDX through the car wash many times and none of the door moldings have ever come loose. Be sure you remove any wax before you install the door moldings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with others here, choosing to park further out is best option when available. The side benefit is that it works a little more exercise into your daily routine which for me means less time on the exercise equipment and that is always a good thing. LOL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with parking far as possible or avoid side by side parking are the best options here. But sometimes there are no options to park far. I agree that the Acura side moldings sit too low. What I did was put Paint protection film on all 4 doors, not a 100% solution it gives me some comfort.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.