Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were ordering a couple of options at our dealership the other day (our SS Touring/Nav will be delivered in several weeks, and we've already gotten a bunch of stuff from Tim that we're not afraid to install ourselves), and when we inquired about body side moldings, our salesperson observed that while they hadn't sold any yet this model year, the ones that are offered by Volkswagen don't stay on too well. Apparently, they have had some customers come back after 18 months or so complaining that the adhesive wasn't sticking too well. The salesperson said the service people think it has to do with our climate here in the midwest--harsh winters AND summers. (we won't count THIS winter yet). We are reluctant to try BSMs only to have them delaminate over time. Can anyone comment about this, or is it just too early to tell??

To clarify, our dealer carries VW, Audi and Infiniti as well as Acura, though the largest portionof their sales is Acura.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
  • there have been no reports here about BSM adhesion issues
  • it is probably too early to tell
  • sure, extreme heat and cold could make a difference
  • then again, the adhesive is by 3M. I think they're based someplace w/those weather characteristics :)
  • VW doesn't manufacture the Acura moldings
  • they only cost a hundred bucks
  • they have a 4 year warranty
I'm curious to know what your dealer is trying to sell you instead.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree with The Worm's assessment. Plus, even if the BSMs did delaminate, a $20 roll of 3M's Scotch-Mount Double-Coated Acrylic Foam Tape (available at your local paint store) would fix 'em quick!

·
Registered
818 Posts
It would be nice if Acura would just include BSM with every MDX that comes off the production line, like the TL and RL. maybe they will with the 2003 model. The reason I hesitate to install BSM is:

1. It was not applied at the factory.
2. I am still not sure it will prevent dings and dents.
3. IMHO, it breaks-up the clean look of the MDX.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. Gee, Worm, you're right. The 3M plant in Ames, IA makes stuff like that (not that it means the BSM strips'd stick any better). I agree with all of you who commented that you'd like to see the BSM as a permanent feature. Someone posted in another thread that they don't think the current moldings are wide enough to do an effective job. It's a bit of a Catch-22. If they were wider, they would surely compromise the looks.

I don't really think our salesperson was trying to steer us to something different-- he was merely being honest (or naive). The BSMs haven't been available all that long. We are at the point where we think we'd like them, but are wary about putting them on ourselves-- applying adhesive to a gorgous, expensive new vehicle is a daunting prospect! Our thinking was that if the dealership did it, they'd be applied accurately, yaddayaddayada.

Interestingly, when our salesperson handed us the price list of all the goodies, he commented that they had reduced their prices to match those listed on the Acura web page.... you know, the "Build Your Own" feature, where they show a typical installed price. He siad that customers would note the prices on the web and come to the dealershp and complain if the figures didn't match. Heh heh. Of course, we all know that Tim's prices are WAY lower than that. In fact, we sat at the computer and copied down Tim's prices right next to the dealer's prices-- pretty scary what their markups are! In any event, they didn't push any add-ons at us, and certainly didn't offer any freebies or incentives. I have no complaint with that, I guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One other thing, I wouldn't stick things on the body of your vehicle if the ambient temperature is less than 15 degrees Celcius (sorry I don't know Fahrenheit). If it's too cold, the adhesive tape won't stay on very well.

During the winter, if you aren't in an underground/heated garage (or a warm climate) you can carefully use a blow dryer to heat the adhesive and body panel. The problem is a lot of adhesives need 24hrs to set properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had the Sportwing BSM installed for about 6 months. So far it's been holding up very well.

In my case, I followed the recommeded installation steps and it protects door dings from both my Honda Accord and Toyota Avalon (I imagine same as Camry), which translates to offering protecton against a high percentage of potential threatening doors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If anyone has a BSM that is starting to fall off here is a good trick.Go to a local parts store that carries 3M products for automotive collision repair.Ask them for a bottle of 3M Adhesion Promoter for body moldings.Clean the affected part and the surface it sits on and apply a small amount of the 3M Adehesion Promoter following the directions supplied with it then reattach the BSM molding.Let it sit for a bit and it will be permanent.I have used this stuff many times and after the repair I think you will nedd a crowbar and a lot determination to remove the molding.Jens

·
Registered
594 Posts
great tip, thanks

Jens,

Thanks as always for the Great Tip!!!

I saved this thread in my favorites list in case I see any unpeeling in the spring....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
davegood
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing