Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my body side molding that I purchased from Tim. While I was installing them, I noticed that the quality is not that good. The backside of the molding is not straight and gaps show up between the car and molding in certain areas.

Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
715 Posts
EEEwwwww....not good. Have not heard THAT complaint before. Some people may not like the look, but the quality of the material has been quite good. Have you contacted the Tim-meister about this?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Installed mine a little over a week ago ...

... and one piece went on "lumpy"

The other three pieces went on fine and I was a little suprised at how lumpy the one looked. I removed it and reinstalled it and it looks much better, but if you look close there are still subtle rolls/waves in it:confused:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
no problems here...

I have had the body side mouldings on for 6 months with no issues. Here is a closeup pic taken last sunday - I recommend them based on my experience...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I notice this as well. I came to the conclusion that the Dbl. Sided tape sometime is not all in that crevasse that it is supposed to fit. I took a x-acto knife and trimmed the portions where it sticks out over that area and it laid nice and flat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't contacted Tim yet. I though maybe it was normal. I'll have to take a picture and post it up to see what you guys think. The tape looked like it was on flat against the back of the molding.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Mine are OK...the tape's aligned properly in the channel on the back.

texrb - I thought your car was black -- who painted a picture of grass and houses on it? :26: :29:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed my molding this weekend. It went on fine, but it is slightly off the surface of the door. It looks like it might hold some water at the interface when I wash the car.

The biggest (minor) problem was that I had Zaino'd the car prior to intalling the body side molding. The Zaino made it hard to use masking tape to stick the template to the car. Masking tape will just not stick tightly to a Zaino protected surface. I did use isopropanol to clean the surface prior to applying the body molding. I am not sure that the isopropanol removed the Zaino, but the molding stuck on just fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My side moldings do show a gap around the outer edges. They do not fit flush to the door panels. The adhesive area of the molding is only in the center portion of the molding and not around the edges of the molding. After washing, water will sit inside these gaps.

Complained about this to Tim, but he said he was not aware of this problem.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It's impossible for the moldings to be absolutely flush with the door isn't it? The adhesive has to stick out a bit so it makes contact w/the door (rather than the non-adhesive part)...the gap shouldn't be more than 1/16" or so, however.

My prior moldings (prostripes) had a similar gap for the same reason. Had 'em on there for >1 year with no problems and I wash the X @ least 1x/week. Heat, dental floss, and a firm tug is the only thing that's gonna take 'em off.

I don't think a consistent slight gap is a problem.

Interested to see raddray's pix.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I've had only one issue of this that I can recall.....I did have one other issue for paint fade. Since it's a flexible moulding, pressure during application might affect the outcome, but I guess I'd have to see exactly what you mean to say for sure.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Mine is good. But I have mine installed by the dealer. :D :D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I haven't had an issue with the fit of the BSM. The only issue I have is that the color doesn't match that well with the body color. I guess it's due to the paint going on different materials (plastic and metal). Oh well...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
My color match is perfect ...

... on our Mahogany. As for the fit. it is fairly flush and even:cool:

As I mentioned earlier, one panel is slightly "lumpy":confused: If you look at it at an angle it is obvious it is not smooth like the other three pieces are.

I have not taken the time to ask Tim about it yet. I'm not sure if a single piece can be ordered (or sent out) or not?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BSM

I'll take the pictures today after work. The gap between the BSM and the door is not consistent. Just a few areas where it looks like the BSM was not properly cut or molded

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought silver moldings from Tim last Dec. When the car is in bright sun you can see through the paint - a tan tinge is seen. The car is at the dealer and it is one of the items I had on my list. More when the car is returned to me . . .

(Tim has offered to replace the moldings but suggested I have the dealer do it. FWIW Tim has been great ):)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Pictures

raddray said:
Here are the pictures...

What do you think?
When you installed the BSM, did you remove the backing on the tape 2 or 3 inches at a time? It looks like the molding could have been stretched out a bit more during the install. But that's just an interpretation of what shows up on the pic.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Damn them are big images :eek: 1600X1200!!! wow can you reduce them? My 19' Monitor at Res of 1280 X 1024 cant show the image properly I hate to see it at a lower setting :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts