Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the concensus on body side mouldings?
Seems like there is an awful lot of area to get dinged up!

Do they look good? Easy to install?
Price?

Lemme know what you think...or know.

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Steve ~
Your best bet will likely be to do a search on 'moulding installed', etc. There's pictures, too.

As with everything else, Tim @ HONDACURAWORLD.COM is going to have the best price. I think there's even a 'group buy' that has started up on this board.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I installed them last weekend. It is VERY simple as they come with a template that you use to line them up on the doors. Prep the area with alcohol and stick on. I took extra care to make sure they lined up and it still only took less than a half hour.

They are quite narrow, and I had visited a local body shop about getting some others that were more "substantial" , but in the end I decided to use the ones that were made for the X. I did not want to wait for Tim to have them in stock, so I bought mine from the parts department of my dealer for $129.

I am also now considering two thin silver pinstripes on each side.
I have not seen many on X's, but I think it might "break up" the solid black on each side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maik,

Was interested in your comment re. BSM. I take delivery of my taffeta white base MDX tomorrow (been waiting since 2/8).

Am installing BSM that got from Tim a few weeks ago (along with cargo tray, cargo cover, net, base carrier and front air deflector--dealer gave me a real good buy on rear flaps and moonroof visor).

I have a gold pin stripe on my taffeta white (I like any color as long as it's white) Accord and it looks real nice. Am thinking will also have gold stripe put on "X."

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Steve,

Price for the side molding is not much different by comparing with Tim or dealership, if you put it on by yourself. (I believe within $20) Tim is cheaper, but you could get it from dealer right away, instead of waiting for shipment.

It shouldn't take too long to put it on. I am expecting it will take most people less than 30 minutes.

No matter you have BSM or not, your car will get dings. Only thing different is with BSM, there are less chance to get ding from the car door that park next to you.
- JTM

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
charlieinnj said:
I think there's even a 'group buy' that has started up on this board.

There's a GB going one but we need to wait on the go ahead from Tim since there is a backorder. BTW Im getting some for my X which we are picking up today wooohooo!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought mine about 2 months and I really like them , they look good and match the paint well (beige). I paid the dealer $130.00
installed. I am sure they would have been easy to install, but I figured I would have someone to go back to should they start to seperate. T have been through a car wash several times and still look factory. Big Al

·
Registered
107 Posts
don't always trust the dealer

My 02 came in without the ordered roof rack. When I brought it back to the service department to have the roof rack installed, I inquired about the cost of having them install the side moldings i got from Tim.

1st the service department told me that there are no moldings for the MDX. This was in the Dec/January timeframe... I think the molding became a true Acura accessory with the 02 model year.

After pulling up the instructions on how to install the moldings, they told me it would cost over $100 dollars just to install.. Instead I did it myself with the help of a neighbor.

So, in general, it's probably good to ask a dealer if they have installed these or other accessories before (how many times) and also maybe check out the work they do on someone elses before letting them do yours..

BTW... if you do them yourself, outside, check the other forums to see what the temperature should be ... I installed them on a day that was too cold and am having it pop in one area... If anyone has any suggestion on how to get the poping area to stick i would appreciate it...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: don't always trust the dealer

wexy99 said:
... I installed them on a day that was too cold and am having it pop in one area... If anyone has any suggestion on how to get the poping area to stick i would appreciate it...
I would try a heat gun. This is what body shops use to remove moldings, and it should soften the adhesive on the tape to achieve a better adhesion. Keep the the tip moving as you slowly get closer and closer, feeling the area to check for it to get very warm, but not actually hot. Be careful though, heat guns are also used to soften paint enough to be scrapped off as a paint removal strategy. If you are concerned, try it with a hair blow dryer instead, just be more patient and let the whole area warm up before you try to re-attach the BSM. You might consider extending the work area several inches beyond the detachment point, that way as you press inward, the adhesive tape will take up some of the pressure as the BSM is stretched along the panel.
Good luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
First, I had the dealer add a gold pinstripe- He offered it for free. I was really pleased with how it added to the look of the car.

Then, I added the BSMs. They were practically idiotproof to install (paying anyone else to do it is a waste!). I've noticed that they line up very well with other doors and are effective at protecting the side of the X. They also look good.

I'm not one to add something for looks - I want function. I have no regrets with the options I've added, including the BSMs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts