Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads on this already, so take it easy!

I can't decide between OEM black steps, OEM chrome steps, running boards or none of them.

A friend who has the steps confirms they make significant noise driving through puddles or in winter slush.

Both collect dirt and snow and slush, (the steps more than the boards?)

You have to step around both getting out of the MDX and will get your pant legs dirty. I confirmed this trying them out at a dealer yesterday.

Boards appear to be more practical - quieter, easier to step on and may keep dirt of the lower body of the car. But the steps definitely look sportier.

I haven't seen the chrome steps on a car yet in person and worry they may be too 'bling' for me.

Both boards and steps will help me get to the roof to access a ski rack, although I could step in the car (less convenient).

So it comes down to this - I sort of like the looks of steps, think boards are more practical and think both are probably more of a pain in the *** than not having them.

Looked at both the black steps and boards with my buddy yesterday at a dealer. In answer to my conundrum he said I couldn't really go wrong with any decision, including not getting any of them.

Anybody who has them or considering them who can offer any good advice?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Unless you have people in your family that require the 'assistance' either offers in entering or exiting the vehicle, I would not get them.
You can always add them later. They do have the advantage of making it easier to to access the roof rack or when cleaning the top of the vehicle.
Also, a place to stand to check out a traffic jam. :D

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If you do decide to get them, steps or boards, you will save a lot by getting them from Tim and not the dealer. Installation is relatively easy although it does take a few hours.

I installed the SS Acura steps last month and really like the way they look. IMHO the SS look better with dark colors, the black steps look good with a TW or SS X.

Getting into the X with the Acura steps has not been a problem, I hardly notice they are there.

I have not gotten my pants dirty yet.

I went skiing 4 times in the last 2 weeks and found the steps to be very useful with my roof mounted ski rack. They did get dirty on the ski trips but so did the rest of the X.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the running boards on my '03. The best way I was able to make the decision was to see two vehicles side by side, one with running boards and one without. The decision was easy at that point. Maybe it has something to do with the color, but it looked better, in my opinion.

They do get dirty in rain and snow, but seem to be pretty easy to clean, although it's only been a few months and Chicago weather hasn't been all that bad. I believe I paid $595 or $695 at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'm 6'4", my wife is 5'3". She's built very nicely, and tends to wear flattering clothes -- sometimes including fairly-tight skirts. The running boards definitely help her in entering/exiting the vehicle, and they keep the view for outsiders acceptable! The running boards do not get in my way, and are helpful in washing/waxing the car.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I put my side steps on primarily because I like the way they look (I think the running boards look too much like something that belongs on a pick up truck) and have found that they are quite useful for all the things others have mentioned in this thread (accessing the roof, etc).

I wouldn't want my X without them!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got the running boards because personally I thought they looked better. I think they protect better too, a couple of times I have heard stones hit underneath and was glad they were there. It sure does make drying the roof easier too. Besides my Pathfinder had sidesteps and I wanted a change. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm getting chrome side steps... I personally don't really like the running boards, but that's my opinion... it looks better on a van...

I installed the black side steps on my father in laws 03' CRV and I don't think it's that bad but after looking at my other friend's 01' CRV w/ the chrome side steps... I like them better.

my .02 :)

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
ablatt,

You should really consider side steps. I have the Acura black side steps. If you want to be a trendsetter, then go with the Acura chrome side steps. They are bling!:29:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Choosing the the chrome Acura side steps was an easy choice for me, especially because I have the midnite blue pearl (MBP) MDX. The chrome with the dark exterior is a great match, and the chrome door handles bring it all together. When I first received the side steps, they were wider than I had expected (i.e. had an eliptical shape vs. cylindrical shape). One they were installed, I came to realize that they were perfectly sized/shaped. I also like anything that shines up real nicely like the chrome finish.

Another real nice thing about the chrome side steps is that most other SUVs have runners, so it makes mine different! And like some other people mentioned, the runners look like they belong on a van.

As far as being bling, not! They don't stand out so much that they'd be a big focal point of the car, and take away from the overall beauty of the MDX. A great compliment!

As far as practicality, I really don't see much benefit. My wife thought it was a good idea for our boys, but they just hop over them. For me, it was just a good excuse to get another accessory. :) I also don't use them to step in. The only practical benefit has been accessing the top for cleaning etc., but I actually have been using a step stool so that I won't chance scratching the car with the button on my pants while cleaning.

Go with the chrome!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
markable said:

As far as practicality, I really don't see much benefit....... .... The only practical benefit has been accessing the top for cleaning etc., but I actually have been using a step stool so that I won't chance scratching the car with the button on my pants while cleaning.

Go with the chrome!
They also are a big help with using the ski rack.

Also, they make it easier for my dog to get in the X. (5 lb Yorkie)

·
Registered
8 Posts
In regards to the Chrome side steps... How do they hold up to normal wear and tear of the road?? i.e. rocks and such kicked up from the road? Do they have a tendency to chip or dent easily? As others have mentioned this is one good thing about the boards is they keep this away from the body, but to me they seem like they would handle the road debris abuse better than chrome SS. Don't get me wrong I think they are sharp, and have even started to consider them if we can make the purchase, but just what about wear?

thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The more I look at steps and boards, and on all types of cars - not just the MDX, the more I don't like their look.

I think the X looks just fine, clean, without either.

When I see steps on a ML-320 they don't look like they belong.

When I see an RX-300, I can't imagine boards or steps on it.

To me they only serve one useful purpose - to get at a ski rack a few times a year.

·
Registered
209 Posts
we got steps...

i really like the look of them...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
One Months Use And No Damage

udflyer00 said:
In regards to the Chrome side steps... How do they hold up to normal wear and tear of the road?? i.e. rocks and such kicked up from the road? Do they have a tendency to chip or dent easily? As others have mentioned this is one good thing about the boards is they keep this away from the body, but to me they seem like they would handle the road debris abuse better than chrome SS. Don't get me wrong I think they are sharp, and have even started to consider them if we can make the purchase, but just what about wear?

thanks,
Mark
Too soon to tell on the Acura SS steps, they have only been out for a month.

I did travel over many sanded roads on a 2000+ mile trip over the holidays, have some paint chips on the MDX, and so far I see no evidence of wear on the steps.

Perhaps Manik step owners have a longer history to comment on this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do Side Steps help Third Row Seat Access?

It is kind of difficult getting into the third row seat. Do side steps help?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: Do Side Steps help Third Row Seat Access?

furjaw said:
It is kind of difficult getting into the third row seat. Do side steps help?
In my very limited testing (ok, just one time), the side steps didn't help me getting into the third row, but helped me get out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the my X simple. Simple, clean lines, plus, installing side steps will decrease your mpg average, as will mud flaps, which will get sand and water and ice stuck in crevases - I even chose not to to the trim, everyone said..Nooo it will ruin the look. Good luck.. :4:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts