Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 2nd Gen MDX, the specs are 8JJx18 ET45 5x120. Center Bore 64.1. The 2008 X5 are 8.5Jx18 ET46 5x120. Center Bore 74.1. It looks like a direct fit with some spacers (can't recall the correct name for that spacer). So has any one tried to put an X5 wheel on MDX?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Aren’t Acura wheels hub-centric? If the center bore is too large, you’re putting the load on the lugs, which is not how our hubs are designed to carry the load. No bueno.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
22 inch BMW wheels on a 2007 Acura MDX (with the BMW wheel center caps still in tact! LOL): :laugh:

NOTE: if the play button below doesn't work, click on wording "Namgyal new Mdx on 22"s brought fresh from the Acura dealer" which will take you the actual YouTube video link where it will play without any issues...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Aren’t Acura wheels hub-centric? If the center bore is too large, you’re putting the load on the lugs, which is not how our hubs are designed to carry the load. No bueno.
It’s my understanding that lugs don’t carry load on ANY type of wheel, the hub or the lugs simply align the wheel, once tightened, the frictional force between the wheel face and the rotor face is what actually carries the load. Ultimately transferred to the hub.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
22 inch BMW wheels on a 2007 Acura MDX (with the BMW wheel center caps still in tact! LOL): :laugh:

NOTE: if the play button below doesn't work, click on wording "Namgyal new Mdx on 22"s brought fresh from the Acura dealer" which will take you the actual YouTube video link where it will play without any issues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TsFzMhiwCQ

Thanks. This video does confirm that someone tried it before. Now I can recall that the spacer is called centric ring. With the right ring installed, this should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
695 Posts
Why not try the BMW steering wheel while you’re at it.... it might fit with the right adapter kit... :)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will work, My neighbour had rings for his winter wheels, never an issue.
Can you ask your neighbor whether he used any special lug nuts? Acura uses a rounded lug nuts. I did a quick search and it seems that BMW uses an acorn type. We might have to find a special acorn type nut that fit Acura lug bolt.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can you ask your neighbor whether he used any special lug nuts? Acura uses a rounded lug nuts. I did a quick search and it seems that BMW uses an acorn type. We might have to find a special acorn type nut that fit Acura lug bolt.
He used the stock lugs but the rings were used on a MOPAR not an Acura.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The lugs need to be matched to the seat type on the wheel, for my ss wheels I used hub centric rings and tapered lugs because the wheels were designed to be used with this type of lug. It’s all about getting the wheel to locate on the hub correctly, after it’s tq to spec it makes no difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will be mounting my X5 wheels Style 168 later this week. I will post fitment and pictures soon.

I did a lot of research and found the following.

- Bought hubrings on ebay to reduce from BMW 74.1 to Acura 64.1
- You need acorn style (ball) lug nuts for BMW wheels instead of the Acura conical style lugs.
- BMW bolt pattern matches Acura MDX bolt pattern of 5x120.
- The BMW wheels I got were 5x120 with same offset 45.
- I am installing 275/45/20 tires as the wheels are 20x9.5.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. That is great. Please let us know how it goes. If it goes well, please share with us the exact hub centric rings, lug nuts you bought. A word of caution is that the wheel you got is wider than normal. So it does not match OEM MDX specs exactly. I believe any compentent alignment shop can take care of this. (Or maybe nothing needs to be done?). Just let us know how it goes. Thanks.

I will be mounting my X5 wheels Style 168 later this week. I will post fitment and pictures soon.

I did a lot of research and found the following.

- Bought hubrings on ebay to reduce from BMW 74.1 to Acura 64.1
- You need acorn style (ball) lug nuts for BMW wheels instead of the Acura conical style lugs.
- BMW bolt pattern matches Acura MDX bolt pattern of 5x120.
- The BMW wheels I got were 5x120 with same offset 45.
- I am installing 275/45/20 tires as the wheels are 20x9.5.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
306 Posts
what tires did you buy? that size is usually expensive AF lol. id wait on the alignment to see how it does without one first. spring for the roadforce balance tho and go to a shop who knows how to use the machine. never have i ever experienced a vehicle as sensitive as the MDX is to tire balance, it maddening.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Finally got the wheels mounted.

BMW Style 168 wheels from 4.8is X5
Square setup 20x9.5
5x120
Tires are 275/45/20
Hubcentric rings
Acorn lugs (conical)
Still need to get center caps that fit. BMW wheels use 68mm and Acura uses 2.75" so they are too big. I chose these wheels because they are similar to the Advance 7 spoke wheels but are 20" vs the Acura 19". I do like the wider tires as it gives a better stance.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
^ Looks great.

Would a staggered set up, .5” on two wheels, make a difference or upset anything using the same size tire on all four corners? I know it’s not ideal, but until I find an extra pair to complete the squared set, I might be running the staggered set up with the two wider tires on the back

·
Registered
306 Posts
^ Looks great.

Would a staggered set up, .5” on two wheels, make a difference or upset anything using the same size tire on all four corners? I know it’s not ideal, but until I find an extra pair to complete the squared set, I might be running the staggered set up with the two wider tires on the back

i have the SS wheels which are staggered. provided you use all the same size tire it wont make a difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts