Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Acura MDX. I am new to this vehichle. I really like it so far, however, I am confused by the Hands free voice option. My phone connects just fine, however, pretty much all I can do while the radio is on is answer the phone. I have a 2012 Jeep Sahara and 2 Honda's that when I am blue-toothed to the vehicle, I can use my hands free, ALSO, I can use Google maps and hear turn by turn over the car speakers AND the radio playing in the background. I also can listen to podcasts and use the hand-free option simultaneously. I am assuming that this is not an option in the 2016 MDX. I have combed the manual, asked a mechanic who has one, and asked the sales person (Clueless). This is the first place I have posted this question. So, is this a feature, if so, how do I turn it on? If it is not a feature, I am disappointed because the technology has been around a while. This is supposed to be more elite than the Honda's...
馃槉 Well thanks for any attempts to answer this for me. I do LOVE the car no matter what.

Registered
Your car is supposed to have CarPlay (Iphone) and AndroidAuto. I wonder if when you paired the phone to the car you missed the opportunity to use those features. If you can't find a way to view and change those settings then maybe clear the phone from the car and the car from the phone and start over paying close attention to the choices during the process.

Reactions: Lovingladybugs

Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
I dont think the OPs car had car play or android auto. Those features were not available until 2018 model year.

Registered
Your car is supposed to have CarPlay (Iphone) and AndroidAuto. I wonder if when you paired the phone to the car you missed the opportunity to use those features. If you can't find a way to view and change those settings then maybe clear the phone from the car and the car from the phone and start over paying close attention to the choices during the process.
The 16 MDX DOES NOT I repeat DOES NOT HAVE CarPlay or Android auto. I don鈥檛 know where you got your information.
You should be able to hear google maps or maps through the speakers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I have not had any luck making it work. If it is something that I would need to "re-program" or "reset", I am not sure where to obtain that information.

Registered
When the car is being used for turn by turn with the phone. its like it鈥檚 making a call. The radio cuts off.

Registered
The 16 MDX DOES NOT I repeat DOES NOT HAVE CarPlay or Android auto. I don鈥檛 know where you got your information.
You should be able to hear google maps or maps through the speakers.
Ok, my bad. I did a quick Google search and found several sources saying it did.

Registered
I have not had any luck making it work. If it is something that I would need to "re-program" or "reset", I am not sure where to obtain that information.
There are directions in the owners manual for pairing the phone. You'll also need to have the phone "forget" the car so the pairing can be completely re-done. I'm pretty sure there is part of the setup that involves choosing what al to connect to the car for and that's probably what didn't get set right the first time you paired it.

Registered
Ok, my bad. I did a quick Google search and found several sources saying it did.
You may have found several sources that stated it should have had it. Didn鈥檛 happen until 2018 model year.

Registered
To the OP:

This is not a setting with the car but a setting on your mobile device using Google Maps.
In Google Maps, go to the Settings tab. Under the Sound & Voice subsection, there are two buttons to toggle on: "Play voice over Bluetooth" and "Play as a Bluetooth phone call"
With these setting enabled, the voice directions will play through the MDX speakers even if the audio source is not set to Bluetooth Audio.

Edit:
Note that if "Play as Bluetooth phone call" is not selected, you can still hear the voice guidance through the speakers if your music source is set to Bluetooth Audio (or if you have an Apple device connected via cable and audio source is set to iPod). If both settings are turned off, Google Maps will give you voice directions from your mobile device's speakers, not through the car's speakers, but Bluetooth phone calls will still work normally through the car's speakers.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Lovingladybugs

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
There are directions in the owners manual for pairing the phone. You'll also need to have the phone "forget" the car so the pairing can be completely re-done. I'm pretty sure there is part of the setup that involves choosing what al to connect to the car for and that's probably what didn't get set right the first time you paired it.
Thank you VERY much for the tip. I bought the car used and there were other phones that weren't cleared out. I just deleted them. The trick was the reset to factory settings and making the phone forget. I started with an entire new problem, now when paired, it won't import my contacts for recent calls or to set up my Speed dial. Baby steps and patience....

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
To the OP:

This is not a setting with the car but a setting on your mobile device using Google Maps.
In Google Maps, go to the Settings tab. Under the Sound & Voice subsection, there are two buttons to toggle on: "Play voice over Bluetooth" and "Play as a Bluetooth phone call"
With these setting enabled, the voice directions will play through the MDX speakers even if the audio source is not set to Bluetooth Audio.

Edit:
Note that if "Play as Bluetooth phone call" is not selected, you can still hear the voice guidance through the speakers if your music source is set to Bluetooth Audio (or if you have an Apple device connected via cable and audio source is set to iPod). If both settings are turned off, Google Maps will give you voice directions from your mobile device's speakers, not through the car's speakers, but Bluetooth phone calls will still work normally through the car's speakers.

Hope this helps!
Fantastic information. I appreciate you taking the time to describe the instructions to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts