Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Has anyone used the Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the auxiliary jack for receiving calls as well as transmitting music on a 07-09 MDX where the HFL does not allow music streaming. I am thinking getting rid of the HFL completely and just using the transmitter.

Any other cheap solution comes to mind? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use USASPEC BT45-HON for my Canadian MDX. Does bluetooth music and maintain all controls in the car. And song titles display on screen. I just unplug the xm unit and plug the usa spec into there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use USASPEC BT45-HON for my Canadian MDX. Does bluetooth music and maintain all controls in the car. And song titles display on screen. I just unplug the xm unit and plug the usa spec into there

More details now. Sorry but I have not heard of this. I am reading about it on amazon and going through the reviews it has got. Mostly positive.

Can you explain a bit more about:
Installation (how easy is it?)
Car controls (does all the control work as they are supposed to or are their some minor adjustments you have to make, does it integrate with the MID display etc)
Performance (does it auto connect, hows the music quality, any issue so far etc)

Thanks I am going to read more about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Pretty easy install. Plug usa spec unit into your xm module after unplugging the main cable. I can walk u thru it. Music quality is great. It auto connects. Only caveat. Install the usa spec mic as well. Otherwise sometimes it default to the usa spec unit to make calls but you have no mic. It works with your main display and shows songs. You can fast forward and rewind playlist from steering wheel. It is a great solution

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty easy install. Plug usa spec unit into your xm module after unplugging the main cable. I can walk u thru it. Music quality is great. It auto connects. Only caveat. Install the usa spec mic as well. Otherwise sometimes it default to the usa spec unit to make calls but you have no mic. It works with your main display and shows songs. You can fast forward and rewind playlist from steering wheel. It is a great solution

May I know which MDX model and year do you have?

For my 2008 MDX with Nav it is suggesting ACU and not HON. Would that be the right recommendation?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry but can you explain how these work. I understand they get plugged into for charging. But how about playing audio from your device? So if I connect my iphone with its bluetooth, to play music on my car speakers, do I have to use AUX cable?

SCRATCH THAT. I saw you searched for bluetooth FM TRANSMITTER. So i am assuming you set a frequency and broadcast over it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Correct. Look at the reviews. They aren’t bad. Try one of the top picks. If it is not good enough for you, you can send it back and get the expensive one.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time or money on the FM transmitter option. I've never seen one that worked well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

ok did more reading on this. If anyone with Canadian MDX is reading, please ignore the product website, and get HON as is clearly mentioned in many of Amazon reviews. ACU is for US MDX with NAV only.

Some reviews suggest that the bluetooth phone can connect to HFL as well as BT45 HON3 device at the same time, where you can use HFL for calls and BT45 can be setup only for music streaming. Additional advantage being no MIC wire running from trunk to driver side visor if I dont use BT45 for voice calling. I kind of want to do it. I wonder if you can confirm that thegazelle?

last question to you would be where did you get it from? ebay/ amazon or somewhere else. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing their HFL module with one from a 2010-2013?

Mine is faulty, doesn't work on cold mornings. So I need to replace it anyway. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a quick question. Did you install in the rear or in the front behind the radio?

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just a quick question. Did you install in the rear or in the front behind the radio?

Thanks

It is installed in the rear underneath the trunk area. Well kind of. It is behind the trunk storage area. If you remove the lid in the trunk storage area you will see there is some dead space. I have the unit just sitting there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ok did more reading on this. If anyone with Canadian MDX is reading, please ignore the product website, and get HON as is clearly mentioned in many of Amazon reviews. ACU is for US MDX with NAV only.

Some reviews suggest that the bluetooth phone can connect to HFL as well as BT45 HON3 device at the same time, where you can use HFL for calls and BT45 can be setup only for music streaming. Additional advantage being no MIC wire running from trunk to driver side visor if I dont use BT45 for voice calling. I kind of want to do it. I wonder if you can confirm that thegazelle?

last question to you would be where did you get it from? ebay/ amazon or somewhere else. Thanks

Correct. Hon3 for Canada. I found this out the hard way by ordering ACU first to only find out there is a connector mismatch with Canadian models. Had to return it. I got it off eBay distributor

Now. Regarding the mic. I would install it because once unit is installed, if you use your phone to make calls, it will default to bthon3 unit. If you dont have a mic the person will not be able to hear you but you can hear them. At that point use your phone to switch to hfl as source. It is a bit of a pain. But you get used to it. Install the mic and you wont have this issue. As far as i can tell there is no way to force the phone to use th3 hfl on a call initiated by the phone

If you use hfl to make calls you can listen to music using bthon3 unit while making calls. The music will mute out while call is made and then resume

·
Registered
319 Posts

Interesting, my 2011 US MDX does not show song details on Navigation screen via BT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've also bought a transmitter, no headache! I had so many problems with the stereo system in my mdx that I decided to buy a IMDEN Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Auto which I've chosen owing to the article on ladi6.com. It describes the best bluetooth transmitters and also provides a guide to choose easily suitable thing. This site helps me so much when I need to make choice fast and with no effort, it provides you with the all kind of info. So, hope it'll be a nice sharing for you, guys!

·
Registered
885 Posts
What does this do?
I suspect they are talking about a simple BT FM transmitter where you plug it into a 12V outlet and connect it to your phone via BT, then it broadcasts a very low power FM signal that the radio picks up when tuned to the correct frequency. Most of these transmitters have the ability for the user to change the frequency it broadcasts on in the case that you are near a very strong radio station. Like anything else there are various levels of quality units on the market with the resulting varying satisfaction experiences.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts