Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Thanks very much for this thread!

I baked the card in the oven for 9 mins at 385F with 30 min cooldown and so far so good. It has come back to life (was solid failure). I also drilled a bunch of vent holes in the black plastic holder so that it doesn't trap so much heat. Thanks again!
:smile2:
I hope it continues to work for you. My bake initially worked but then failed. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
BLT fixed (for now) on 09 MDX

I tried the baking suggestion with my heat gun and after reinstalling adapter the BTL is working again. Hopefully this lasts for a while and saves me some money. Thanks to everyone for your posts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 MDX and just disconnected and reconnected the module - that restored the functionality for using a phone but I could not sync the contacts. It said it was ready to receive and waiting but even though the phone was paired, it eventually timed out without puling in the contacts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought a 2008 MDX and didn't think to check Bluetooth before purchase. Was extremely frustrated before I found this thread.
Pulled off the panel to reveal the HFL, and found that it wasn't even plugged in. Gave it a try and no dice.
Baked it at ~385 for 9 minutes...popped it in and got it all set up.

Next step. See if I can figure out how to do the power relay mod.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed.

Plan B: If/When this module stops working, I will bake it again. But I think the USA-SPEC BT45-ACU looks to be the easiest/best alternative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just baked my board - HOLY $%^&!!! It worked! I thought it may have been a joke so I had the fire extinguisher at the ready! OMG! I really can't believe it worked. I did exactly as told. 1. Opened the console by pulling straight back. 2. Removed the HFL module (grey connector and 3 screws) 3. Opened the plastic case (4 clips) 4. Removed the circuit board (pull up) 5. Put tinfoil on a cookie sheet, made 4 balls to "float" the board on and baked it in the oven at 375 for 8 minutes! Thank you all for this thread. I am now writing an Acura cook book called "Baked is Better - Precision Cooked Performance". ha ha! Steve.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm on my third iteration of shake and bake. This last time I increased the heat to 390* and the bake time to 11 min. Figured I had nothing to lose. So far so good.

·
Registered
996 Posts
One more shake-n-bake success story. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks MDXpression!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for this forum, I just recently bought 2009 MDX Sport w/entertainment. Found out that HFL talk button didn't work and found this website. I decided to pull the console out and check the HFL module. It was warm to touch so I gave baking method a try. Thanks to MDXpression! It works again. I will look at the relay option to cut the power to the HFL and adding heatsinks to the four main chips and drill some vent holes on the box so it wont' heat up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2007 MDX (22,000 miles. Really!)

Did my 1st shake & bake today to renew pairing with phone. Works now. I wouldn't mind repeating every 6 months or so. But, can I really buy one for under $500? Where? Right now, would rather spend it on a couple of tires.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Did my 1st shake & bake today to renew pairing with phone. Works now. I wouldn't mind repeating every 6 months or so. But, can I really buy one for under $500? Where? Right now, would rather spend it on a couple of tires.

I bought mine for around $200 from "acurapartsnow dot com" about four years ago. Did the power relay modification to keep the module OFF while the car is OFF. Factory wiring keeps power ON (24x7) to the module, not good in my opinion.

·
Registered
608 Posts
For folks who did the bake on the HFL module:

1) Did you put in the module once the oven was heated or was it in the over as it was preheating?
2) Once you had it in the oven @[email protected] mins, did you cool it by leaving it in the oven till it reaches room temp or did you open the oven door to cool it faster?

Just trying to make sure i dont mess it up and have capacitors fly off. The HFL is archaic in our vehicles, but something i use everyday and i miss it :( Would love for it to work for another 6-12 months and then I can decide what to do next.

·
Registered
996 Posts
For folks who did the bake on the HFL module:

1) Did you put in the module once the oven was heated or was it in the over as it was preheating?
2) Once you had it in the oven @[email protected] mins, did you cool it by leaving it in the oven till it reaches room temp or did you open the oven door to cool it faster?

Just trying to make sure i dont mess it up and have capacitors fly off. The HFL is archaic in our vehicles, but something i use everyday and i miss it :( Would love for it to work for another 6-12 months and then I can decide what to do next.
Pre-heat oven before baking, just like with cakes and cookies lol. I pulled mine out at 11 minutes, but you have to be very careful that you don't jostle it as the solder is fairly liquid at that point. Definitely don't leave it in the oven with the door closed as the temp will remain too high for too long and would likely turn the board into one big pool of solder. At the bare minimum open the door to get it cooling as quickly as possible.

P.S. After reading multiple posts I chose 385 for 11 minutes, but remember that home ovens aren't tightly calibrated. If you notice that your oven frequently requires you to adjust your baking time for cakes or cookies it may be a bit hotter or cooler than the average, though that could be true for the posters here and the reason for different times and temps posted.

·
Registered
149 Posts
For those resuscitating the HFL by baking the board, the HFL life can be extended even further by modifying the power wiring and installing an ON-OFF relay. With this modification the HFL module only stays ON when the car is ON. Once the car is OFF, the power to the module goes down. The electronics fail in part because the HFL module is powered up 24x7.
Do you have a final picture? Since the harness plugs in I would like to see how you incorporated the relay.

Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you have a final picture? Since the harness plugs in I would like to see how you incorporated the relay.

Thanks.
Here is the information you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
High Res Pics of Circuit Board Front and Back?

Hi All
So I tried the heat gun method on the BGA devices and had the board on my bench. Unfortunately the varnish on the bench stuck to a few of the parts on the bottom and got pulled off. Mostly the SMD orange caps but also the SMD inductors. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Board in the 39770-STX-C011-M1 but I'm sure the A011 will be the same.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for that. This might be a great source to incorporate a marine Bluetooth unit for A2DP streaming on the composite AUX connection. I was always wondering where I could get 12v back there. So if I go through this I might as well try it.

I would solder in the RCA plugs into the back of the AUX composite jacks in the center console that faces the rear passengers (Tech package with DVD/Monitor).

https://www.amazon.com/Fusion-MS-BT...=101&pf_rd_i=1293687011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like I got a bunch of projects for the summer.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quick question for anyone technical. Basically as I understand it the module gets overheated and the chip desolders itself. When reheating via oven or heat gun we are melting the solder and "reballing"? I was getting ready to get my motherboard socket replaced because of broken pins and I was thinking maybe having them do a reballing service on it to see if it fixes it once and for all of course installing the relay too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please post picture of a 2008 MDX HFL board

Hi,
I messed up BIG time. I was baking my HFL board and stupidly tried to remove it from the oven before allowing it to cool off. Well, it was too hot to handle so I let it go about 2 inches from the counter-top and 5 components came flying off. I reinstalled 2 of them (the coils) which I believe have no polarity specifics, but 3 or 4 of the capacitors do. I am hoping/wishing that some kind soul on this board will post a closeup picture/pictures of the top (plug in connector facing up) of the single HFL board found in a 2008 MDX with navigation, rear entertainment and power lift gate. As long as I can differentiate the components, I can replace them properly. Thank you in advance for your help. [email protected]

·
Registered
149 Posts
I must have the wrong purple wire as it is not feeding my relay. I am red/green colorblind though. One wire looks blue and the other purple next to the WHITE and BLACK. Maybe I have the wrong wire. Do you have a pinout by chance?

161 - 180 of 207 Posts