Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought I had my experience. So my Bluetooth module in my 2009 Acura MDX quit working about 2 years ago. I followed the instructions outlined here by baking it at 380 degrees for 8 minutes and to my surprise it worked. Good luck to all of you that give it a shot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
or you could replace it with this witch also streams music from your phone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks houg,

Had I not just got myself Alexa for my car (Echo Auto,) I would do exactly that.
Echo Auto does all the Alexa stuff, my music, prime music, news, etc. etc.. I love it
Note on Echo Auto: Since the Bluetooth is so limited in my MDX, (probably solved with the device you mention,) I plug my Echo Auto into the Aux port and all is well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought mine for around $200 from "acurapartsnow dot com" about four years ago.
it's now $330 + 50 core charge! yike...

I baked mine 3 times and worked for few months each time then last bake one of the chip fell off (I moved before fully cooled) so been without BT for many years now, after being stranded and many battery replacement before that...
Signed up for original lawsuit and never heard back. Contacted stealer and no help.

If I could only surface solder those tiny chips, and try the on/off relay trick that would be cool, but never done surface mount stuff this small...
Then again this is 12y old tech, so an after market BT unit that allows streaming might be way to go. Never like having to load my address book and teach it to voice respond when you cell does a better job. I just want steering wheel/microphone integration.

Anybody can share board picture ? can't tell which direction the bottom chip goes ? :) (grove near top edge or center)

and top

·
Registered
36 Posts
thank you! (grove goes on the inside, reversed to what I thought)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I baked this thing years ago and it didn't work. Ended up replacing it with a new one. However now installed an aftermarket headunit with bluetooth I think I should sell it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks houg,

Had I not just got myself Alexa for my car (Echo Auto,) I would do exactly that.
Echo Auto does all the Alexa stuff, my music, prime music, news, etc. etc.. I love it
Note on Echo Auto: Since the Bluetooth is so limited in my MDX, (probably solved with the device you mention,) I plug my Echo Auto into the Aux port and all is well.

Well, my 'baked' unit stopped working, so I'm saying f-it.
I have my Echo Auto, and that gives me everything I need. No need beating my head against the wall over that POS MDX Bluetooth.

Best of luck to all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fixed my wife's 2007 MDX Bluetooth problem by 'baking the chip' 385 degrees for 8 minutes. Add me to the list of nonbelievers for whom it worked!

·
Registered
36 Posts
lieberMINI. hopefully it will last longer than the 6 months or so it did for me... after the 3rd time, I made a mistake of moving the board while hot and one of the chip fell off. gone now... I would like to find a 3rd party that allows BT streaming as well as car integration for hands free for calls. Luxury car without BT for most of its life is really lame... 07 MDX as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For those resuscitating the HFL by baking the board, the HFL life can be extended even further by modifying the power wiring and installing an ON-OFF relay. With this modification the HFL module only stays ON when the car is ON. Once the car is OFF, the power to the module goes down. The electronics fail in part because the HFL module is powered up 24x7.
My second HFL is acting up after about 4 years. This one is still functional, but is draining the battery (which is brand new).
1. Does anyone know what causes the higher power draw - is it a component failure, or does baking fix that?
2. Since my only problem is draining the battery when the alternator isn't running, do you guys see anything wrong with just adding the relay without fixing the drain?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Look up adding a relay that turns off all power when the key is removed. Or stop using it altogether by opening up the rear console and removing the plug to the HFL unit.

It's a parasitic draw that occurs because of overheating of something on the circuit board causing a components or components to draw full power when not in use. Which is why the "baking" (oven or better yet a heat gun) which is effectively re-flowing the solder on the circuit board is a temporary fix. It will eventually overheat again and desolder itself causing the parasitic drag once again.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Look up adding a relay that turns off all power when the key is removed. Or stop using it altogether by opening up the rear console and removing the plug to the HFL unit.

It's a parasitic draw that occurs because of overheating of something on the circuit board causing a components or components to draw full power when not in use. Which is why the "baking" (oven or better yet a heat gun) which is effectively re-flowing the solder on the circuit board is a temporary fix. It will eventually overheat again and desolder itself causing the parasitic drag once again.
I baked mine 18 mo ago and it is still working just fine. May be luck or might have something to do with the fact that I drilled some holes in the HFL model case while I had it apart to let it breathe better and combat the heat issue.

·
Registered
996 Posts
baking is a bandaid you will eventually have to replace it
If I understand correctly the root cause for the solder needing to be re-flowed is heat over time, so if you can keep it cool it MAY extend or even make the re-flow hold up permanently. If you read the rest of the thread you will find some have gone as far as to utilize a small computer cooling fan to facilitate better cooling. Since many members move on to other vehicles or are never seen here again the sample here isn't exactly scientific. I'm not saying you are wrong as it very well may fail on mine again. If it does I will likely just bite the bullet and get a USASPEC aftermarket unit.

Reactions: AcuraAddicted

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Just thought I'd share this success on getting my 2007 MDX bluetooth back to operating. The HFL worked in terms of the voice and acceptance of commands but it refused to pair with my phone or any phone. It also stopped sending a BT signal at all. I unplugged the module, waited 30 seconds or so, and plugged it back in. All functionality was restored! Worst case scenario is I would have had to replace the module which can be done in probably 5-10 minutes.

If anyone is having a fail condition with their Bluetooth give it a try.

The procedure to access it is quite simple. Sit in the backseat and gently pull the rear cover off of the center console. It pulls off and exposes the HFL module. Don't pull it all the way off, just enough to access the HFL module. Unplug the gray connector and connect it back. If this doesn't solve your problem, I've seen some posts on fixing the existing module by running a heat gun over it. This will liquify the solder enough to rebridge any loose connections. If this doesn't work, order the $180 part and replace it. Be sure that your module is bad prior to replacing it. (e.g. test multiple phones etc.)

You can see the picture of the console with cover off completely. I didn't go this far as I didn't want to disconnect my rear climate control.

Acura MDX It seems that the bluetooth module on my 07 MDX
My (2007 mdx) module began draining my battery in 2017. The dealer unplugged it and recommended against replacing it. We were surprised but suspected they had no viable replacement part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Just bought used 2007 MDX with Nav package. Of course the I can't detect Bluetooth signal on my phone from car. When I try to pair my phone, I can't. Nothing happens. I don't get any voice prompts (as far as I know, the only way to pair phone is through voice). In fact, I do not get any voice prompts at all including driving directions. Does this mean my HFL module is defective? The car does recognize my voice and does most of the functions (without voice feedback), but nothing related to phone.

I disconnected the bluetooth module per directions here. This resulted in disappearance of "Cellular Phonebook" option (I guess set by previous owner). When I reconnected, that came back, but still no voice prompts (including directions) and no bluetooth signal.

Just want to know if I should spent time in fixing this module by baking. (Not willing spend >$350 for 12 year old tech).

Appreciate help.

Thanks.

EDIT: Bit the bullet and Baked the module. It worked! This technique is still working after 13 years!
Now, I am worried about battery drain! Going to do that relay trick...

·
Registered
36 Posts
EDIT: Bit the bullet and Baked the module. It worked! This technique is still working after 13 years!
Now, I am worried about battery drain! Going to do that relay trick...
yeah I think the relay trick is the way to go and wish I had done that after baking my unit. It's weird to get into my daughter's cheap used car and have BT and media streaming just working, when my luxury SUV hasn't had a working BT for half it's life now...

Reactions: RainGoat
181 - 200 of 207 Posts