Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just thought I'd share this success on getting my 2007 MDX bluetooth back to operating. The HFL worked in terms of the voice and acceptance of commands but it refused to pair with my phone or any phone. It also stopped sending a BT signal at all. I unplugged the module, waited 30 seconds or so, and plugged it back in. All functionality was restored! Worst case scenario is I would have had to replace the module which can be done in probably 5-10 minutes.

If anyone is having a fail condition with their Bluetooth give it a try.

The procedure to access it is quite simple. Sit in the backseat and gently pull the rear cover off of the center console. It pulls off and exposes the HFL module. Don't pull it all the way off, just enough to access the HFL module. Unplug the gray connector and connect it back. If this doesn't solve your problem, I've seen some posts on fixing the existing module by running a heat gun over it. This will liquify the solder enough to rebridge any loose connections. If this doesn't work, order the $180 part and replace it. Be sure that your module is bad prior to replacing it. (e.g. test multiple phones etc.)

You can see the picture of the console with cover off completely. I didn't go this far as I didn't want to disconnect my rear climate control.

http://www.justanswer.com/acura/5m91y-acura-mdx-seems-bluetooth-module-07-mdx.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello. Just thought I'd share this success on getting my 2007 MDX bluetooth back to operating. The HFL worked in terms of the voice and acceptance of commands but it refused to pair with my phone or any phone. It also stopped sending a BT signal at all. I unplugged the module, waited 30 seconds or so, and plugged it back in. All functionality was restored! Worst case scenario is I would have had to replace the module which can be done in probably 5-10 minutes.

If anyone is having a fail condition with their Bluetooth give it a try.
I hate to rain on your parade but my 2007 did the same thing and unplugging the unit restored functionality only briefly. In the end, you will likely face replacement of the module to the tune of a couple hundred bucks for the part. As you found out, the install is easy. And you can replace those burned out rear seat heater switch bulbs while you have it apart!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I figured so! I live in HB too. I can get a new BT unit for about $170 so I will wait until it dies completely. I may try the baking approach too. If install were harder I would definitely get a new piece.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure enough the component began failing intermittently after the unplug/plug fix attempt. While it was in a fail state I tapped it with my hand and sure enough the phone icon would come back on. I decided that it must be a loose connection inside.

Knowing that the worst case scenario is I would need to drop $170 on a new part, I went ahead and followed the baking procedure.

So far it has worked for an hour straight on my way in to work. I will pronouce it fixed after it works for a week straight. If not, worst case is I'm out $170.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually pulled the board out of the black jacket and stuck it in the oven. 385F for 8 minutes followed by a 25 minute cool down. I then inspected for any damage caused by the baking and found none visible. Threw it all back together and in the car.

If you do go this route, use a baking tray and cover it with aluminum foil. Also float the board with a few balls of aluminum foil so the board isn't directly on the tray.

Who knows if this will hold but I have a good feeling based on my early results...

This is exactly how I did it.
Fix Your Graphics Card By Baking In Oven

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a believer :)

I had the same problem this past summer. I searched the web and found the threads about changing out a capacitor that seemed to work for some folks. I was going to do that but then I found a thread about cooking the board and decided to give it a try. It has been about 6 months since I tested my baking skills and I'm happy to report that the HFL Bluetooth module is still working.
I have a 2006 MDX and my HFL module is located in the overhead console above the rear view mirror, very easy to remove / replace. When I was having the problem I found that if I hit the console above the mirror a few times it would work for a while. I puled the module and pc board out a few times to inspect it but was never able to see any lose components or cables etc. My fingers are crossed that this was a permanent fix!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a believer :)

I had the same problem this past summer. I searched the web and found the threads about changing out a capacitor that seemed to work for some folks. I was going to do that but then I found a thread about cooking the board and decided to give it a try. It has been about 6 months since I tested my baking skills and I'm happy to report that the HFL Bluetooth module is still working.
I have a 2006 MDX and my HFL module is located in the overhead console above the rear view mirror, very easy to remove / replace. When I was having the problem I found that if I hit the console above the mirror a few times it would work for a while. I puled the module and pc board out a few times to inspect it but was never able to see any lose components or cables etc. My fingers are crossed that this was a permanent fix!
If I'm lucky I learn something new every day. This is a new one. Good luck to you guys. Wish I had know about "baking" earlier. That term, when applied to my generation, meant something entirely different!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it is has been about a week and I've driven the car virtually every day. I would call it fixed. Hopefully it lasts. Surfcity did you save your old board? You can always bake it and keep it as a spare or sell it As-Is with full disclosure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
:2party:

I just did this and got it fixed!! I hope it works just for a few years more, haha!! Thank so much guys!!! :29:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, baking the circuit board wasn't a permanent fix.
I posted earlier in this thread that I fixed mine by baking it this past summer and up until a couple of weeks ago it had been working great.

I removed the circuit board again on Saturday and put it back in the oven for another 8 minutes. Installed it back in the car and once again Bluetooth is working. Hopefully it will last as long if not longer than last time!

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is crazy, but what the hell. My Bluetooth hasn't worked for 6 months. I didn't use it that much, so I wasn't going to pay $180 for the new module. I think I will try the bake method though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bake fixed Bluetooth on 06 MDX and works with IPhone 4s

Huge thanks! After a month of trying to pair our phones on the used 06 I picked up, disconnecting and reconnecting module, etc. was resigned to having to purchase a new one until I read this thread.

Popped the module out, baked it in our oven at 380 for 10 minutes, resting on balls of foil, cooled for 25 minutes and reinstalled.

Both my IPhone 4s and wife's 4 paired flawlessly on the first attempt and now work in the car with no issues! Great Tip!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the MDX should come with a cookbook as well as a user manual!

This isn't a permanent fix, you may have to do it again in the future. For me that was about 9 mos.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jut a follow up, my HFL module was completely dead would not respond at all. Additionally, it started doing the battery drain so my car wouldn't start it left idle for more than a day.

I pulled out the HFL board and baked it at 385 °F for 9 minutes. I reinstalled and it is working perfectly for now.

I was a non-believer until I saw it work myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and just for this exact reason!
Just so I know for sure, the HFL is mounted on the windshield in front of the rear view mirror?

'06 MDX towed behind a Foretravel motorhome

Richard B

1 - 20 of 207 Posts