Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone out there can shed a little light on this for me. I believe when I got the car when receiving texts I could heard the audible alert of my phone thru the car (the same as when I receive a call I hear my ringtone thru the car) and then it seemed to stop. Now my phone alert doesn't even sound when a text comes thru (while connected to the car only). I'm told by the dealer that is normal, just the visual alert on the screen comes on. I find this difficult to believe that the car would override the phone and prevent any audible alerts for emails or texts. Anyone else having the same problem?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It'd be helpful to know the year of your MDX and your phone brand.

On my 2014 MDX with my iPhone the infotainment announces the text and states something like 'would you like to read it now?' and then I can accept or ignore via the infotainment displays screen.

If you're having troubles go ahead and do a 'connect' of your phone again to the infotainment.

This whole area behaves squirrely on my 2014.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Hoping someone out there can shed a little light on this for me. I believe when I got the car when receiving texts I could heard the audible alert of my phone thru the car (the same as when I receive a call I hear my ringtone thru the car) and then it seemed to stop. Now my phone alert doesn't even sound when a text comes thru (while connected to the car only). I'm told by the dealer that is normal, just the visual alert on the screen comes on. I find this difficult to believe that the car would override the phone and prevent any audible alerts for emails or texts. Anyone else having the same problem?
Same here but I really don't care about this issue. Whenever I click on read, it just says read message once you are safely off the dang road. Its definitely an off/on sort of event.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
854 Posts
Ill bet you have an iphone? DWs Iphone has no end of connecrivity with anything of hers that uses bluetooth. The worst offender is when paired to her hearing aids. I have the exact same make/model hearing aids that work perfectly with my andriod phone. Same with the car. Npthing but dropped connecrions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, I have a 2020 just purchased in June and the phone is a Galaxy S10. I have re-paired the phone numerous times with no luck.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
854 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I have a 2020 just purchased in June and the phone is a Galaxy S10. I have re-paired the phone numerous times with no luck.
Time for a trip to the dealer then. Have you tried another phone? Is your S10 up to datd software wise? Mine is on version 11.something last updated August 1

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Time for a trip to the dealer then. Have you tried another phone? Is your S10 up to datd software wise? Mine is on version 11.something last updated August 1
My Galaxy S20 FE 5G is also on Android 11 One UI 3.1 with the August 1 2021 patch update. I heard there should be a September update coming soon. Lets hope and see if Sammy and Google fixes this before OP goes to the stealership for a fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the info and quick responses, if only my dealership cared this much, I probably wouldn't need to be on here lol. My S10 is on Android 10, my carrier is verizon and the phone says it's on current software with no updates available. Maybe I should wait for 11 to come thru as suggested? Not sure but I haven't even mention the second issue. When the dealer returned the car to me a week ago it now no longer reads the message aloud when i click on that, so that's the second problem. I stopped at another local dealer at lunch today and they were very helpful in giving me their best tech guy who spent 40min with me pairing his phone and having the same problems (btw, he had an S10+). I stopped at my dealer where I purchased it on my way home and he said it's my phone. I really don't think this dealer knows what their talking about. I can't believe something that sounds so simple is becoming so difficult.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For what it's worth, I disable the text alert in the Acura menu, as it duplicates the alert that the SMS app will give on Android Auto. When Android Auto announces, it gives the ding you are looking for, plus the app can read SMS verbally, and will allow you to speak a response, which is far more capable than the built in Acura SMS capability.

Worked for me on a Galaxy S10, and also works on my new Z-flip 3.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the info and quick responses, if only my dealership cared this much, I probably wouldn't need to be on here lol. My S10 is on Android 10, my carrier is verizon and the phone says it's on current software with no updates available. Maybe I should wait for 11 to come thru as suggested? Not sure but I haven't even mention the second issue. When the dealer returned the car to me a week ago it now no longer reads the message aloud when i click on that, so that's the second problem. I stopped at another local dealer at lunch today and they were very helpful in giving me their best tech guy who spent 40min with me pairing his phone and having the same problems (btw, he had an S10+). I stopped at my dealer where I purchased it on my way home and he said it's my phone. I really don't think this dealer knows what their talking about. I can't believe something that sounds so simple is becoming so difficult.
My dad has the S10+ unlocked on Verizon. I also use Verizon too. I'll check his tomorrow on the MDX.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it's worth, I disable the text alert in the Acura menu, as it duplicates the alert that the SMS app will give on Android Auto. When Android Auto announces, it gives the ding you are looking for, plus the app can read SMS verbally, and will allow you to speak a response, which is far more capable than the built in Acura SMS capability.

Worked for me on a Galaxy S10, and also works on my new Z-flip 3.
I have tried the Android Auto and your right, it works really well. I'm in sales and I'm in and out of the car all day. Depending on the kind of day I have I either do long trips or short ones and on the short trip days it's more of a hassle to use the AA because I have to remove the phone from the holder to plug it into the car, so some days BT is an easier option.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have tried the Android Auto and your right, it works really well. I'm in sales and I'm in and out of the car all day. Depending on the kind of day I have I either do long trips or short ones and on the short trip days it's more of a hassle to use the AA because I have to remove the phone from the holder to plug it into the car, so some days BT is an easier option.
There are a couple of vendors that make wireless Android Auto dongles. I use one and it works great, coupled with a wireless car grip charger I just drop the phone in the mount on longer trips and leave it in my pocket on shorter trips. Never have to deal with the hassle of plugging/unplugging the phone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wanted to let you all know that I just came across the fix for this. After MANY searches I found a suggestion to download an app called SoundAssistant only found in the Galaxy store, not the Play Store, and that fixed it! Thanks for all the input! Now onto the second issue (for those of you who want to read on), after I picked the car up from the dealer two weeks ago it no longer reads the messages alound like it used to. Dealer says they didn't do anything to cause that and blaming the phone. I disagree but don't know where to go with this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts