Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a 07-09 MDX. but I have a few questions I hope current owners can help me with. Ive done some searching, but I wasn't able to find anything on these specific questions.

1) Bluetooth: The only bluetooth option in the car allows for phone calls to be answered wireless, correct? The factory bluetooth system will not allow for playing of music over the radio from an ipod or iphone Correct?
2) Adding an aftermarket system (USAspec or other) that has Bluetooth availability to play an Ipod/Iphone, will that still allow the hands free link phone setup to work?
3) For the Canadians here, what is the total difference between the Elite and the Tech models in these years in the Canadian cars. Is it just the addition of the Mag Ride shocks, or is there added stereo, comfort benefits, options as well?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Elite adds ADS (magneto rheological dampers controlled with electric current); auto levelling headlights; second row screen with DVD, replacing the aux input in the center console on Canadian Tech to a 115V outliet and replacing the 12V outlet in the second row to a full A/V input and 3.5mm output with volume controls; a power liftgate and adds a different style wheels

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bogdan! Ive been watching acura addicted videos to see what I'll be able to do myself on these vehicles. Thanks for you contributions and your work, great videos!

This vehicle will be replacing my old CRV to drive my Kid (soon to be kids!) around in. After kicking around ideas of older Q7s and Cayennes, I came back to Honda as I know them, I can do much of the maintenance myself, and it looks like this era of the MDX is pretty bullet proof.

In this area the Tech and Elite models are usually roughly the same price in 07-09 versions, so its coming down to if I should avoid the Elite models even if they look clean and have a good history because of the Mag Ride. I just assume that if I buy an Elite I will be replacing and deleting the Mag ride, which means I'm trying to see if there is anything else I just have to have attached to the Elite that I don't get in a Tech Model that warrants the cost and headache of the mag ride replacement.

The thing that really stands out here for me, I didn't realize the 07-09 tech models DIDNT have the power lift gate? Thats news. I feel like everything else I can live without......

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Bogdan! Ive been watching acura addicted videos to see what I'll be able to do myself on these vehicles. Thanks for you contributions and your work, great videos!
Thanks for your feedback!

To your point: I would buy the Elite if it already has the dampers converted or if the price is reasonable enough to swap them myself on top of the price.

The US Tech has the power liftgate with the entertainment package added (which is the case with my car), so if that's a deal breaker for you, may be look at it, but for me a more important thing would be getting a proper Canadian model with the metric speedometer and temperature. Also, all Canadian models (even the base) come with the second row heated standard, which is only available with Tech and Entertainment added to the US cars. Also, headlight washers are not available on any US trim at all, and come standard in all Canadian models.

I think the most important thing is the vehicle's condition, mileage and maintenance / repair history. That's what I would be looking at first. I would not get an MDX with mileage beyond 200K kms.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

Not sure the Elite has features I just have to have, but maybe i wont run away screaming if I find a good history clean one.

Were all the failures of the Mag Dampers in that 07-09 Era only? Seems like maybe they had a bad run? Lots of horror story's, but i wonder how many people are still on their original set?

Also I didn't realize the 07-09 cars had the faulty rad fluid into trans problem. More reading I guess. At this point I feel like no matter what I buy, ill have to do all the fluids, timing belt and water pump, and now change the radiator just to be safe lol.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Were all the failures of the Mag Dampers in that 07-09 Era only?
No, it's the entire second gen (2007-2013).

Seems like maybe they had a bad run?
Just bad design, acknowledged by Acura.

Also I didn't realize the 07-09 cars had the faulty rad fluid into trans problem.
That is not limited to 07-09 either. It's also not limited to the second gen. This is a pretty wide spread issue for a lot of other brands, including Mercedes, etc. A quick Google search of "coolant in transmission" will confirm that.

At this point I feel like no matter what I buy, ill have to do all the fluids, timing belt and water pump, and now change the radiator just to be safe lol.
That's what I would do with a 10 yo car as well. Unless, of course, there is a service record of the TB and radiator replacement done recently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s actually what I normally do, but I was hoping to find Somthing where I wouldn’t.

I found a nice looking elite with 165k Kms on it for about 10k that I wanted to go look at, but when I asked he said he had never done the timing belt. if your that far behind on the belt, what else have you missed over the years?!?.

We will see, hopefully I find something. That one is still in the running.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I found a nice looking elite with 165k Kms on it for about 10k that I wanted to go look at, but when I asked he said he had never done the timing belt. if your that far behind on the belt, what else have you missed over the years?!?.
Yeah, a TB not done for 10 years - that's a red flag for me (although technically the 4 code only appears at 100K miles or 165K kms, so that might be why the car is being sold - the code 4 probably turned up). Still, 165K kms for a 10yo car is very rare, I would still have a look at it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
. Also, all Canadian models (even the base) come with the second row heated standard, which is only available with Tech and Entertainment added to the US cars. Also, headlight washers are not available on any US trim at all, and come standard in all Canadian models.
After driving my US spec MDX in Northern Ontario this past week I would have loved those two features!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I haven’t verified this yet, but I’m pretty sure 2009 Canadian tech models come with the power liftgate.

I’ll check into it shortly.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Also, I haven’t verified this yet, but I’m pretty sure 2009 Canadian tech models come with the power liftgate.
According to WiKi it looks like all of the Tech models (US and Canadian included) have power liftgate starting with 2009. If that's true, that's great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, it would be a nice feature.

I'm still shopping. A 2009 Tech I really like is available, but posted for way to high in this market. I have talked to the owner, we will see if he comes down. Certainly its been a couple of months without selling.

There is a 2007 Elite posted with 160K KMs, but I hate the color (metallic blue). Its up for 10K, so they need to get rid of it, but I think I'm going to hold out.

There is another 2009 Tech, again in a color I'm not super keen on (the metallic Brown). 195K kms, but telling me to just make an offer on it. Sounds like he really wants it gone.

Id love to get a 2010+, but the oil burning issues and the steep jump in price locally has me sticking to the 09 model.

Still Shopping. Ill find one I want eventually.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts