Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I brought in our 2016 MDX to the dealership to troubleshoot/repair whatever is causing blue smoke to be emitted from the exhaust for a second or two after startup. It does this pretty consistently, usually noticed when shut off for several hours/overnight. This is the second time I've brought it to the dealer, and both times they are unable to reproduce or identify faults that are causing it. The first time the dealer suggested I use only Top Tier fuel (which I have been since day 1), and "recommended" I use Premium fuel. I know premium is not required on '14 and up (we had a '13 prior to this), but I put premium in for a month anyway to comply with their recommendations...no change as I had suspected. Anyone else have this issue? No, there are no notable performance issues or noises, but sorry....I'm not paying ~50K for a luxury SUV that puffs blue smoke. This is our 14th, yes 14th, Honda/Acura since 1994...none have ever blown smoke including my 2006 Civic that had 295K miles on it... a bit concerned my Honda/Acura quality streak has come to an end... :mad: I have taken several videos of it smoking.....below is a photo from one of those videos since it doesn't appear I can upload a .mov file..

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would think this is a pretty easy thing for Your Acura dealer to figure out. In most cases its oil leaking past engine seals. Has it been using any noticeable amount of oil? Of course it could also just be left over condensation in the exhaust system. You may just need to drive it a little longer to see if it gets worse. I feel for you because this may not be a easy process to get fixed if as Acura says it's considered Normal Operation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
any change to your engine oil level?
I'm no mechanic, but I recall hearing something about blue smoke relating to burning engine oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yeah, from what I've investigated the blue smoke would typically be indicative of burning oil. When I checked the oil level, it appears within range... However, I HATE that 14 foot dipstick - LOL... I don't want to be "that guy" complaining about something like this, but it's just not normal. If it was "normal", every MDX would be doing the same thing... Of course, there are environmental variables, fuel variables, etc.... but I think for the most part there would be more of a trend... I can't find anyone with this issue.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a 2014 that doesn't have this issue. It sure seems like it's likely oil burning. Have you been able to smell it while it's smoking?

Oil can leak past valve guides and collect a bit after the engine is off and then get burned and noticed on startup. Leakage while driving wouldn't be noticeable unless it's a lot of oil. It may be hard to see from the dipstick as well since it doesn't take much oil to cause the smoke.

There's almost no way this is due to the fuel you're using. Was that an SA saying that as opposed to a mechanic who might actually know what they're talking about? I don't buy the "it's normal" because as you said, if that were true then they'd all do it and they don't. I haven't seen anyone post something similar here.

It may actually do little harm to the vehicle but they should check it out more closely. One of the basic things to do if one suspects an oil seepage/leak issue like this is to pull each plug and check it for excessive oil deposits on the plug. That can confirm whether it's an oil issue if deposits are seen and nail it to the particular cylinder. They should at least do this - it's not that difficult to do (although I haven't tried to pull the rear plugs on this yet). Don't take the "it's normal" response - push them to nail this down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that reply. I've engaged Acura Client Relations to try and get this worked out. Although I know my warranty will cover any issues that arise, It's unacceptable to me that my MDX exhibits a behavior that is not "normal". I'll keep you updated on the progress. Still trying to find someone else who this has happened to. I'm very interested in what was done to resolve.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yeah, i'd go smell it
burning oil would have a distinct smell of....oil and black soot
regular exhaust should be mostly odorless with a hint of almond :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts