Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, if you read some of my previous post about the judder and the hard 1-2 shift and hard 6 gear shift you would know over the recent months ive had hard time with my mdx. Now I did buy a higher mileage MDX with 142,000 on it mostly highway miles and a good service history of trans changes and software updates. Well today I pulled out to pass on a highway and she accelerated and then all of a sudden a roar and a bang and then RPM flutter, it couldn't find the gear. Current mileage is at 157k, where the previous owner had take it in for TSB's regarding the trans with trans fluid and software updates. Is Acura standing behind or offering any extended warrenty on the transmissions or am I just SOL? Acura dealer is a good ways from me so I had the car towed to Honda dealer and their looking to charge me $1,800 for labor yikes! Said she would get prices on new and used transmissions monday, im scared to hear that price also! Needless to say the judder and hard shifts might mean something a little more serious once you get up there in miles, just figured id share my experience as I haven't seen any actually blow one.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I think you're sol on this one but doesn't hurt to ask acr if they would give any good will. A used 6 sp is about $600-1k on ebay with mostly 90 day warranties. Or you can search the junk yards like LKQ to see if they have a good condition 14-15 with maybe some body damage only to pull it. Hopefully you won't need a TCU to go with it, but something to think about.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Honda dealer said they can compare used vs new. Kinda scared of used at this point, but cost definitely gonna be deciding factor. Hope the new one will take me where I want to go with no problems this time. Bought the car out right to not have payments and then bam get hit with this not even 6 months into ownership. Makes we wish I’d just bought a newer one with a payment lol

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Well if you got a newer one you would probably need to look at 2018+ to avoid the 9 speed failures that affected 2016-2017. Not so great cost wise i bet. Yeah keep us updated though. Few people keep cars long enough to experience long term consequences of the atf burning at lower temps than designed, but i have a feeling more will pop up soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a vcm muzzler on, I didn’t think it would because I was having shudder issues before and installed it. But that couldn’t contribute to a problem like this could it?

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
342 Posts
I had a vcm muzzler on, I didn’t think it would because I was having shudder issues before and installed it. But that couldn’t contribute to a problem like this could it?
I don't think so. I had VCM muzzler installed for over 2 years before my MDX got totaled after an accident.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am also in the same situation as you, 1,2 and 6th-grade hard shift, but my 15 model is only 60k, went to the dealer million of times, in the first yr of ownership, 4 months were sitting in the dealership lot for diagnosis, they were only willing to replace the torque converter for me, nothing more to address my hard shift complaint, anyway, I am waiting for the new 4runner to came out, then get rid of it.
Good luck dude.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am also in the same situation as you, 1,2 and 6th-grade hard shift, but my 15 model is only 60k, went to the dealer million of times, in the first yr of ownership, 4 months were sitting in the dealership lot for diagnosis, they were only willing to replace the torque converter for me, nothing more to address my hard shift complaint, anyway, I am waiting for the new 4runner to came out, then get rid of it.
Good luck dude.
thanks man, hopefully she holds together for you until your new 4Runner. I’m not saying this isgoing to happen to everyone who is experiencing the rough shift, I just wanted to let you guys know they do let loose unfortunately lol

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Yeah with enough heat in atf you lose lubrication properties and you all know what that means eventually. :( Honda atf is really something of a 30k max interval imo.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah with enough heat in atf you lose lubrication properties and you all know what that means eventually. :( Honda atf is really something of a 30k max interval imo.

I am changing the ATF every 1.5 yr, I don't believe the 3 yr interval.

·
Registered
703 Posts
thanks man, hopefully she holds together for you until your new 4Runner. I’m not saying this isgoing to happen to everyone who is experiencing the rough shift, I just wanted to let you guys know they do let loose unfortunately lol
Cuz I had tried other cars, the jerking I had in my MDX definitely doesn't feel normal to me, well, it is a good car for a long trip, but not a good one for the city drive.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Bought the car out right to not have payments and then bam get hit with this not even 6 months into ownership. Makes we wish I’d just bought a newer one with a payment lol
Look at it a different way. If this issue ends up costing you (for example - I have no idea of the cost) $4000, that's less than a year of $400/mo payments so you're still better off having purchased it the way you did. Although having to repair the trans is a hassle and expensive, it's less expensive than buying new(er) with payments.

Make sure you get some quotes as well. I know it's easier to have it done where you towed it to but you might also want to check the Acura dealer (who might be willing to tow it there at no additional cost), and maybe an independent or two. I had my last transmission rebuild done by Aamco and was happy with their work and the quote but that was on an old Mustang and not a newer type trans.

You mentioned 'new' and 'used' for transmissions but a remanufactured trans is what some places install and these usually have warranties with them. In this case the trans service place usually just swaps out the trans with the remanufactured trans that was done in a production environment. Make sure you ask about a remanufactured/rebuilt trans and what warranty you'll end up with.

Finally, it's usually possible to repair the trans you currently have. Sometimes it can be done for less than installing another trans. It depends on what's wrong with it and the cost to repair as well as finding a place with the expertise to actually repair it rather than swap it out, which is what most places actually do. It doesn't take much technical expertise to just do a swap out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks MDXSTANG I really appreciate all the helpful tips in getting this sorted out. I looked up a new tranny at an acura OEM supplier and it was just over 6K I honestly do not want to spend that on a car with 158k miles. Especially after I have found videos on youtube with MDX's doing the same thing brand new with only in some cases hundreds of miles of the hard shifting and judder! I guess Im going to take my chance doing a reman like you suggested or used tranny, because id be awfully upset if I spent that kind of money and it did it again!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I sure hope you can get a reman with 3/36. They gave me 1yr or the remainder of my existing drivetrain warranty, whichever was longer.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
btw - Aamco gave me a 3 year warranty on the auto trans they rebuilt for my old Mustang. It's a simpler less expensive trans than one in the MDX so it's not apples/apples but it's indicative of warranties that sb available. In my case I had them rebuild the trans in it because I wanted it to be original but many places will just swap the trans out for a remanufactured one on a shelf.

I'm not pushing Aamco - just indicating there are alternatives to Acura/Honda dealers, who may have their hands tied by policies as to their options.

I wouldn't put a brand new trans into a 2014 with your high mileage either due to the high cost of that part.

I have a 2014 as well but it's only at 72k miles - so far so good on the trans and everything else.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts