Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! The AC on the drivers side of my 2008 Acura MDX has been out since last August. At the time, we were living in Germany so it didn't matter since it's always cold there haha. Well now we've been stationed in Arizona and its H O T. I need to get this replaced ASAP! I have found both parts on carparts.com, but how do I know which one it is?

There is cold air on the passenger side and in the 2nd row, but the driver side blows hot/outside air.
I would rather not have to buy both, but I always could and then return the part that isn't needed.

I have read all over this forum for the last few weeks preparing to replace this part. I thought I could last a few weeks without AC on my side, but at 113* yesterday afternoon that was about my max haha! I have all the PDFs of how to take the center console off to get to the part as well.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
676 Posts
If it is the drivers side that isn't working properly then the temperature control motor on the drivers side under the dash is the likely culprit. Some here have reported being able to disassemble, clean, and lube the inside components, but I have opted to just replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I suspected...we call this car Princess for a reason ;-) always the more expensive parts! lol!
Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, any update on this issue? My 2012 MDX is blowing hot air from driver side. Passenger side was working fine, now it some times also blows hot air. But the rear works just fine.

I researched and was able to get diagnostic codes. They are B2991, B1233, B1234. All point to some sort of issues with air mix control circuit and climate control. I got under the driver's dash and manually moved the level that I assumed would control the flap inside, I could hear it move but air kept coming out hot. I opened the actuator and the gears inside looked good. I plugged it in while having the engine on, I could see the actuator arm move while I adjusted the temperature up and down. So, I am at a loss. I don't understand why manually moved the flap door didn't cause the cool air to come out. Or is it because the air mix control circuit is bad, the air is always passed over the heater core? What is air mix control circuit? Can I replace it myself?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, thought I would update this thread.
I was able to fix the hot air from front AC vents of the car. I tried to replace the actuator ($25), which didn't help. I also replaced the AC control unit ($50), which fixed the error codes, but problem remained

The real problem was the expansion valve. I had to replace it myself. The part itself costs only $23 plus tax at Autozone, O'Reilly, or Napa. But if you bring the car to an auto mechanic, it could cost between $300 to $450 to fix. I learned quite a bit by fixing the car myself.

First, justanswer.com website will provide technical help for nominal fee ($5 first trial week, $30/month after that, unlimited questions and unlimited answers). They will match your questions with real mechanics who provide answers online, in real time, including detailed diagrams. Very nice service indeed.

Second, auto parts shops mentioned above provide FREE equipment rental. You pay a certain amount depending on the equipment upfront. Once you bring the equipment back, they refund you the entire amount. In my case, I rented AC pump, manifold gauge from Autozone, they gave me 90 days for the rental which took me only 2 days.

Another option for you when replacing the expansion valve is to have a shop vacuum pull the Freon, you take the car home, replace the valve yourself, bring the car back to the shop to fill the Freon. It costs a bit more this way, but still much cheaper than having the valve replaced by a car dealer or a shop.

It is okay to do all by yourself. Don't be intimidated by the amount of work. I had never worked this hard with cars before, but I was able to do it, and very proud of myself after that. There are some parts to remove, but once you done, you look back and will be able to say: not too bad at all. After all, it's just a valve behind some other parts in cramped space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts