Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are pretty set on getting an MDX when our current lease on a 2000 Infiniti QX4 is up in December. We want the saddle leather. As far as exterior choice we hope the 2003 comes in some better colors for the saddle (dark green, dark blue, or maybe be available with the silver - doubt that, but I think the silver looks great). If it doesn't we like black the best.....but have always heard how black absorbs heat so black vehicles are hotter - take longer for A/C to cool. Is that true or myth? On a real hot day it takes my white SUV a lot of time to cool. Would black be even worse? Would appreciate the feedback of any owners of black MDX's that live in a hot summer climate. Having the rear A/C should help keep my kids from wilting! :17:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have owned several black vehicles in Florida where it gets quite hot! My TL-S is black with black leather and it gets pretty hot but the A/C cools it down very quickly. I have noticed, however, that my MDX (Red Rock with tan leather) seems to get hot when the sun shines into the windshield, and the A/C has to work pretty hard to keep it cool - black might me a slight bit harder to keep cool, but not enough to eliminate black as your color choice if you're set on it. I'd bet that you'll love it so much that you won't even think about the heat.

Go for it - just remember that black is by far the hardest color to keep looking clean and shiny!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Tprender, I have a beige Ody and black/black MDX in Texas. Both get hot, but cool off quickly with the rear A/C crankin' and judicious use of a dashboard sunscreen.

Black takes a bit more work to keep clean, but IMO looks fabulous.

If you like black, go for it!

:4:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I agree with Octavian

I also have a black/saddle MDX & live in TX - the saddle interior is actualy quite cool with the Black exterior. I use a windshield screen & keep the sunroof tipped up a little when i have it parked outside during the heat & I have had no problem.

The black also looks great :4:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Dark exteriors are OK

We have had the MDX in Houston for well over a year now and have had no problems with the dark exterior color. The A/C works very well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cool in Austin

Get a windshield sunscreen and tint your front windows and the A/C will take care of the rest.

The A/C on the "X" is the strongest I've experienced on any vehicle. The back seat blowers are great.

I've got a black interior and have had no problems with excessive heat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes i the BLK/BLK mdx of mine got unbelieveably hot until i put 5% tint on the windows and now its all good! But 5% might be illegal where you live, it is here in Hawaii but so many people have 5% its hard to inforce the law, plus its hot so the HPD tries to understand.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
fvince brings up some good points

We had our front windows tinted and we use an Axius sun screen when its left outside for a while.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have a silver with black interior in South Texas (Houston area). I was really concerned about the heat as this would be my first car with BLACK leather. We were planning on having small towels on hand during the summer months. Those who wear shorts during the summer know what I'm talking about...

Anyway, I've been very pleasantly surprised. The leather seats in the MDX does not get very hot. I've not had to use the towels yet. Also, I agree with all the other posters above that the A/C in the MDX is one of the best ever in terms of cooling down the interior.

However, I don't think I would get a black one in Texas as the cabin (and not just the seats) would get soooo hot...

We had a black Honda before and the molding was melting off the door panels!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My wife and I were in Sacramento yesterday, were looking for a second car, and the temperature was about 95. We took a Autumn Red Lincoln LS for a test drive, I sat in the back seat, and although the salesman ran the car for a few minutes before we got in, it took almost 10 minutes for the Lincoln to cool down to a comfortable temp. Perspiration was rolling off my face. My black MDX had been setting in the hot sun for over and hour, windows closed although I did vent the moonroof slightly. When we left the dealers it took only a few minutes for the X to cool down to comfortable temp. It was no hotter in the Black X than the Red Lincoln when we first got in.

The cooling system of the MDX with the added center console condensers does a great job.

I believe all dark colors are hotter than light colors, so you might as well get the black if that is the color you like the most.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Blk/Blk Was in Florida it was HOT. But the X cooled down quickly I'd say in a bout a min. I was reading and the A/C has BTUs equalling homes!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts