Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I back out of my garage and turn the wheel to full left lock, something feels as if its binding up and then it releases as the MDX lurches a little.

I've also noticed some transmission whine. It's most pronounced when slowing to a stop and the transmission downshifts.

Are these actual problems, or do "they all do that"? My warranty is running out soon, so I'd like to get these taken care of.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
krammer said:
When I back out of my garage and turn the wheel to full left lock, something feels as if its binding up and then it releases as the MDX lurches a little.

I've also noticed some transmission whine. It's most pronounced when slowing to a stop and the transmission downshifts.

Are these actual problems, or do "they all do that"? My warranty is running out soon, so I'd like to get these taken care of.

Thanks.
You say your warranty is running out? How long have you driven your X? I ask that because why would you ask if 'if they all do it' unless you don't drive the vehicle yourself very often.
I've never noticed anything like that, and with your warranty running out you should be at your dealer ASAP. Describe the symptoms completely, including if it happens more before the vehicle warms up (backing out of the garage in the morning?), or only when it' s warmed up, etc. etc.
With regards to the whining, I take it the fluid level if ok and the fluid looks good....? Maybe the lurching is realated to your steering and not the transmission? Full lock and the power steering pump is working hard...there could be other factors here. Hopefully you have a dealer you have confidence in doing the job right.
BTW don't troubleshoot by intentionally holding your steering wheel at full lock.
That can cause damage. I take it you only go full lock momentarily as you manuever.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Whenever you are accelerating from a stop, whether going forward or in reverse, the VTM-4 is engaged; I suspect that the binding you feel is caused by that. Mine also does that when starting out in Reverse or Drive with the front wheels cramped hard. It feels pretty-much like my '93 Explorer does when doing the same maneuver in 4WD. I don't think it's a problem.

Don't know about the transmission whine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts