Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideally I would like to get a hitch mounted bike rack. The dealer quoted $1,000 for the hitch parts+labor. Has anyone gotten a hitch installed for less than that? Maybe at a Honda dealer? Or small shop?

If I can't get the hitch+install for less than $500, I am going to have to go with a hatch/trunk mount bike rack. I borrowed a Thule Gateway Pro from a friend, but could not get the top clips to stay on; as the hatch closes it pushes them out of the way and up on top of the roof. I didn't really have time to mess with it and switched cars.
Does anyone have experience getting clips to stay attached on the top part of the rear hatch?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can get an OEM hitch for $324 online. The install is pretty easy and straightforward. If you can turn a wrench at all it should be no problem. $1k for a hitch and install is ROBBERY. Even if the parts listed are at retail ($405-Hitch AND $200-harness (you didn't mention if that was part of the deal)) that means they want to charge you $395 in labor for a job that will be less than 60 mins for any competent tech.

You can also download the year-specific instructions at the bottom of that page. Give them a look before you pay anyone to install it. I installed my hitch and harness, no big deal. Hitch only makes it even easier.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
A OEM hitch will look better, has a replacement trim piece to hide it within the lower bumper, and can take a full size spare tire. Just get the OEM hitch and skip the harness. I've never liked any bike rack that hangs off the hatch/trunk because of the potential damage and limited to no access to the hatch/trunk with the bike(s) mounted. I had a the hanging type hitch bike rack (Softride Dura 4) and the bikes would sometimes drag on the ground going over big dips or bumps in rough terrain. Zero issues with that when I switched to hitch platform bike ride (Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4).

You can also check with U-Haul for their hitches. They would probably be cheaper; but, the hitch will sit below the bumper and it might not fit a full size spare.

Another option would be roof rack with cross bars for a bike attachment. Too much heavy lifting for me and impossible for the 4'11" wife for roof mounted bikes.

Reactions: Steve Gonzales

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed the hitch and bumper cover myself last summer, it was fairly easy. Didn’t do the harness as I’m not planning on towing anything. I ordered the hitch online at AcuraPartsForLess.com.

A few things to keep in mind:
1. The holes in the frame may have rust/ dirt in them, I used the combination of pb blaster, wire brushes attached to a drill, and a thread chaser to get the holes clean. The holes have a welded nut on the other side so you can’t force the bolts in with an impact or you risk breaking the weld nut.

2.You don’t need to jack up the car, just remove the spare wheel. The hitch is heavy so having someone help lift it one side at a time makes it easier. If you can get one bolt in on each side then the rest is easy.

3. Instructions online say to use a 19mm socket, I ended up using an 18mm

4. Make sure you torque it down to the right spec, you don’t want the hitch to rattle around.

5. I coated the hitch receiver with A few drops of PB Blaster to prevent rust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get an OEM hitch for $324 online. The install is pretty easy and straightforward. If you can turn a wrench at all it should be no problem. $1k for a hitch and install is ROBBERY. Even if the parts listed are at retail ($405-Hitch AND $200-harness (you didn't mention if that was part of the deal)) that means they want to charge you $395 in labor for a job that will be less than 60 mins for any competent tech.

You can also download the year-specific instructions at the bottom of that page. Give them a look before you pay anyone to install it. I installed my hitch and harness, no big deal. Hitch only makes it even easier.
Thanks NeoGeoH! I hadn't seen that site. I read the instructions. I think we would do it without the harness. I am guessing the quote included the harness install because you have to basically take apart the front end too. I will call the dealership and see if they can give a quote just for the hitch (I have a bad back and might not want to do the install myself).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the hitch and bumper cover myself last summer, it was fairly easy. Didn’t do the harness as I’m not planning on towing anything. I ordered the hitch online at AcuraPartsForLess.com.

A few things to keep in mind:
1. The holes in the frame may have rust/ dirt in them, I used the combination of pb blaster, wire brushes attached to a drill, and a thread chaser to get the holes clean. The holes have a welded nut on the other side so you can’t force the bolts in with an impact or you risk breaking the weld nut.

2.You don’t need to jack up the car, just remove the spare wheel. The hitch is heavy so having someone help lift it one side at a time makes it easier. If you can get one bolt in on each side then the rest is easy.

3. Instructions online say to use a 19mm socket, I ended up using an 18mm

4. Make sure you torque it down to the right spec, you don’t want the hitch to rattle around.

5. I coated the hitch receiver with A few drops of PB Blaster to prevent rust.
Thanks dgqueue! Great info. I am going to get a revised bid from the shop to see if they can just do the hitch install, no harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A OEM hitch will look better, has a replacement trim piece to hide it within the lower bumper, and can take a full size spare tire. Just get the OEM hitch and skip the harness. I've never liked any bike rack that hangs off the hatch/trunk because of the potential damage and limited to no access to the hatch/trunk with the bike(s) mounted. I had a the hanging type hitch bike rack (Softride Dura 4) and the bikes would sometimes drag on the ground going over big dips or bumps in rough terrain. Zero issues with that when I switched to hitch platform bike ride (Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4).

You can also check with U-Haul for their hitches. They would probably be cheaper; but, the hitch will sit below the bumper and it might not fit a full size spare.

Another option would be roof rack with cross bars for a bike attachment. Too much heavy lifting for me and impossible for the 4'11" wife for roof mounted bikes.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
707 Posts
To install the harness with the hitch the only thing that you need to take apart is the rear cubby cover, the cubby comes out and one small cover has to come off. About 3 minutes work. From there it is basically running the wires and plugging it into the rear fuse panel, add a couple of fuses and close stuff up. If you think you might somewhere in the future want to tow a small trailer of any sort add the wiring now. Otherwise you will be forced to drop the hitch to add it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you are thinking about getting a hitch be sure to order/ buy one now. Last year most places were on back order for months because of the surge in demand due to the pandemic and this year is shaping up to be similar.

Depending on how soon you want it you might have to look around more and be willing to pay more.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To install the harness with the hitch the only thing that you need to take apart is the rear cubby cover, the cubby comes out and one small cover has to come off. About 3 minutes work. From there it is basically running the wires and plugging it into the rear fuse panel, add a couple of fuses and close stuff up. If you think you might somewhere in the future want to tow a small trailer of any sort add the wiring now. Otherwise you will be forced to drop the hitch to add it.
The instructions show taking apart things in the front and wiring the harness to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are thinking about getting a hitch be sure to order/ buy one now. Last year most places were on back order for months because of the surge in demand due to the pandemic and this year is shaping up to be similar.

Depending on how soon you want it you might have to look around more and be willing to pay more.

Right, before the summer rush.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Just bought one. Going to bring it to a local shop and have them install it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks like the steps if you were installing the ATF cooler. If you go a few more steps in the instruction is that what it shows?
Yeah, you might be right. Anyway, like you and everyone else said, I am not going to do the Harness nor ATF cooler. I will only carry bikes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, you might be right. Anyway, like you and everyone else said, I am not going to do the Harness nor ATF cooler. I will only carry bikes.
I’m doing the same thing as well. I have the OEM hitch which looks nice with the modified bumper and and Allen Sports 4 bike rack.

This video has pretty much all the steps, with the exception of cleaning the bolt holes that I mentioned in the previous post.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD with Tech
5 Posts
I just picked up the factory hitch and wiring harness and I am looking forward to installing it on my 2017 MDX SH-AWD Tech.

I will say, on my last car, a 2017 Honda CRV, I had Uhaul install a hitch for me to run my Thule rack in. It hung a little below the bumper, which occasionally drug going through a big dip. But having ran a roof rack a total of three times, it was three times too many. Way too much wind resistance and not very easy to load a mountain bike on. A good hitch rack with a platform, like the Thule, Yakima or Kuat will make life way easier for you.

I decided to do the factory hitch on my MDX for a couple of reasons, but mainly because it sits higher by a few inches and looks like it was supposed to be there, rather than added as an afterthought. I was just over $600 with tax buying the hitch kit and the wiring harness.

Good luck!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Just bought one. Going to bring it to a local shop and have them install it.
Bought as in they had it in stock? I only ask because I bought online last year and didn't discover they were on back order (not in stock) until my order didn't ship for awhile.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Purchased a new MDX on a Sun. Monday I called a few online Acura part stores that sell them for just shy of $400. I wanted to find one locally so when calling one of the online part stores, I had the P/N for them and they could see on their system which dealers had them in my area. They told me the dealer, I called and told them to hold it for me and drove down to pick up. On the way up, stopped at my local repair shop to have them install it in 30min for $150. New car on Sun, fully OEM hitch installed by nooon on Monday!

Go OEM no question. It just fits well on the MDX and comes with the plastic cover to make it appear seamless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX. I bought a Hidden Hitch from etrailer.com and a wiring harness. Total was $230.00. This was back in 2015. Easy install, about 45 minutes total. I like it better than the OEM hitch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ideally I would like to get a hitch mounted bike rack. The dealer quoted $1,000 for the hitch parts+labor. Has anyone gotten a hitch installed for less than that? Maybe at a Honda dealer? Or small shop?

If I can't get the hitch+install for less than $500, I am going to have to go with a hatch/trunk mount bike rack. I borrowed a Thule Gateway Pro from a friend, but could not get the top clips to stay on; as the hatch closes it pushes them out of the way and up on top of the roof. I didn't really have time to mess with it and switched cars.
Does anyone have experience getting clips to stay attached on the top part of the rear hatch?

Thank you in advance.
Hi.
For my hitch I went to etrailer.com. I paid about $180 for the hitch. (6,000 pound capacity). Excellent quality American made aftermarket stuff. A buddy and I installed it nothing flat. It only takes 6 bolts to attach it. The holes are predrilled and weldnuts are already factory fitted. Took us about 30 mins, most of which was spent slurping some fine brewed beverage. Etrailer has great videos so you can figure out if you can do it yourself or you'll feel better farming it out. I will tell you for sure it is NO BIG DEAL. Don't let them feed you a bunch of you know what. The uhaul video features a young lady performing the install, albeit with a handy-dandy uhaul hitch jack. You will need a couple of guys to muscle it up into position so you can get a couple of bolts snugged up. It looks beautiful installed. If only for bikes, you wont need to wire it. If you do, that takes a couple of minutes, about $40 and it's done too. I suggest you go online and look at etrailer and uhaul. You'll gain a ton of knowledge and save yourself a boatload. In reality Acura has done a fine job doing all of hard stuff already. There are some spare tire issues you'll have to deal with. Etrailer will also show you a bunch of bike racks that don't require a hitch. They look a bit funky to me but that's cuz I'm a car guy and enjoy all the trick-s$&@. Little racing lingo.......LOL. Seriously, pound the net and you'll learn about a ton of options, how to, reviews, etc. You'll find out you're not the first guy to strap a bike onto a MDX. Main thing is FORGET the $1 Grand BS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts