Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - what are the largest 18" tire size on stock rims or after-market rim size / width / tire size that anyone has been able to fit on their 2007 MDX without any body or suspension modifications?

Photos of successful big tire stuffing into the MDX fender wells would be very cool!

Mahalo (thanks)!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on tread pattern of new tires and diameter. I have seen highway gas mileage get better with larger diameter tires and a performance highway tread pattern. A larger diameter tire in effect lowers the final drive ratio of the vehicle, less RPM's per mph / less tire revs per mile.

:2:

Agressive all terrain or mud/snow tires will lower MPG, even with stock size tires.

HT

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, it depends. I got better highway gas mileage on a 1987 4Runner 4 banger 5 speed going from 10.5x30 R15's to 11.5x32 R15's and on a 2000 Montero Sport Limited V6 Automatic going from 255/70 R16's to 275/70 R16's - MPG went from average of 16 MPG to 19 MPG in mixed driving. Both tire size increases were on stock rims.

The width of the tire could theoretically affect MPG due to higher wind resistance (at maybe 80+ MPH) but the more relevant factor is tread to road resistance or tire "stickiness". Unfortunately, better traction = lower MPG, regardless of tire size.

Aloha, HT

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It sounds like you really really want those big big tires on the new X. Do you even realize how hideous it might look afterward? I can only imagine one word, BALLOONS. Ofcourse, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not asking about Monster Truck "Ballon" tires. Just if anyone has tried one or two sizes bigger on stock 18" rims or what size tires fit on 19" or 20" rims on the '07 MDX.

Mahalo, HT

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
HawaiianTime said:
Again, it depends. I got better highway gas mileage on a 1987 4Runner 4 banger 5 speed going from 10.5x30 R15's to 11.5x32 R15's and on a 2000 Montero Sport Limited V6 Automatic going from 255/70 R16's to 275/70 R16's - MPG went from average of 16 MPG to 19 MPG in mixed driving. Both tire size increases were on stock rims.

The width of the tire could theoretically affect MPG due to higher wind resistance (at maybe 80+ MPH) but the more relevant factor is tread to road resistance or tire "stickiness". Unfortunately, better traction = lower MPG, regardless of tire size.

Aloha, HT
Unfortunately what you are saying is not true. The only time traction comes into play is during very heavy acceleration. Otherwise there is slippage. Rolling resistance of the wider tire is what causes the problem.

You can look this up on the internet and get a full understanding of how wheels/tires work.

g

·
Registered
133 Posts
LionSpeed said:
It sounds like you really really want those big big tires on the new X. Do you even realize how hideous it might look afterward? I can only imagine one word, BALLOONS. Ofcourse, the choice is yours.
You mean like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Bingo!

sharkfans said:

You mean like this?
sharkfans,
Boy, you took the picture right out of my mind . . . :bingo:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
LOL

EXCALIBUR said:
When did Acura introduce the new "lighter than air" tire/wheel package for the MDX?:confused:
sharkfans, you forgot to add some shadows below the tires. . . or this is your intention to stimulate MDX about to take off?
:19: :20: :21:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PERFECT!

I like the picture - looks great! That's the right color MDX too. I would go with Mud Terrains though - those look like they are maybe 12.5x36 R18's? Looks like fender well clearance might be a problem. All we need now is a 6"lift kit and Brush Guard on the front and it will be ready for some serious off roading!

But seriously, on the MPG issue - if you put tires with more rolling resistance (usually = more traction) you will lower you gas mileage. Aggressive all terrain, mud/snow, and some high performance tires will do this. Bias Ply tires have more rolling resistance than radials as well. I am talking from real life experience, not info on a website.

I know people have put 19" rims on '07 MDX's. Acura offers 19" rims as a dealer installed option. Some people may have installed 20" rims too. What size tires are they running?
:confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: LOL

LionSpeed said:
you forgot to add some shadows below the tires. . . or this is your intention to stimulate MDX about to take off?
Yeah, I figured that since this was a comical idea, I wouldn't waste time with making it look realistic. Your comment on balloon tires got me laughing pretty good! Plus, the "moon patrol" look is helped by lack of shadows! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would 100% put 20" Wheels on my car "I am" I should have them within a few weeks, First of all its to each his own what they want to do, 18" wheels dont do this suv justice. I will have better traction with a nice new performance tire, Plus the look will be unreal. I am only adding 4 pounds per wheel with the 3 peice set I am going with.

If your young or old you cant say a nice size wheel with a low profile tire is a perfect match for a machine like this.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Supercomputers said:
I would 100% put 20" Wheels on my car "I am" I should have them within a few weeks, First of all its to each his own what they want to do, 18" wheels dont do this suv justice. I will have better traction with a nice new performance tire, Plus the look will be unreal. I am only adding 4 pounds per wheel with the 3 peice set I am going with.

If your young or old you cant say a nice size wheel with a low profile tire is a perfect match for a machine like this.
Please report back to us about the 1) ride, 2) acceleration, 3) braking, and 4) gas mileage changes when you upgrade to your new dubs. Inquiring minds want to know.:confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Supercomputers said:

Hey SuperC,

What size tires will you be running on those new 20" rims?

Thanks, HT

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 19" Acura wheel upgrade on my 07' X. The stock tire is 255x55x18. The upgrade that was put on my X was 275x45x19. It looks awesome. It also fits just fine. I love the wider stance it gives the X. The ride is a bit rougher due to the lower side wall, but it is not that bad at all.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts