Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I will be taking delivery of my X premium in the beginning of Jan. First thing that I would like to do is to swap the Goodyear tire with Michelin (nothing against the Goodyear btw). I talked to the local tire dealer who is willing to accept the trade in, he told me that 245/65R17 should fit X’s rim.

As most of you are aware that the X is fitted with 235/65R17, do you think if there are any advantage going with the slightly wider tire? Pro and Cons? Will this tire fit? Other high performance tire I should consider?

Thank you in advance

Joei
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would love to know that as well. :2:
The X would look more aggressive with beefier tires.

2003 SS MDX - still waiting :3:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The biggest thing against wider treads is losing traction ability in the wet and snow. Interesting the comments should come from the east coast. :4:

Also, 'grippier' wider treads for warm seasons usually means more rolling resistance and mileage will suffer maybe a fraction of an mpg.
Everything is a tradeoff. While not the offroad 'king', the MDX has done splendily
on snow and ice in various road tests.
Reducing the propensity for hydroplaning is a real advantage especially in an SUV, IMHO.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Specs

Go to this site to check out the specs for whatever tire you are considering.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

With the 245 you not changing it much. The speedo error is 1.8%. When your speedometer reads 60 your actually going 61.1.

Niles:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
WIDER TIRES

That's one thing that really pissed me off about the MDX. The wheel size is 6.5". It wouldn't have killed them to put a 7" rim on there. The tires would fit just as well. In fact 235 IS THE LARGEST tire that should safely fit a 6.5" rim.

In order to avoid spedometer error your choice of upsizing are 255/60 or 275/55, both which have the same total height as 235/65. These are in fact offered in Michelins excellent Cross Terrain that's stock in touring models. Of course for safety you shoud get at least a 7" rim although I know plenty of shops that would "squeeze" the 255 on.

Of note, if you want to see what a 275/55 looks like, just check out the next Mercedes ML you see. This is the size on their sport models. IMO it looks pretty cool, but then again w'ere not driving a mercedes, are we. I think you gas mileage and your snow traction (if that applies to you) would suffer. I think the 255/60 is a good compromise between improved handling , looks and wet weather traction. Again, maybe you could find a shop that would put them on the stock rim. Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
245.....???

You'd go through the expense to swap out a mfg recommended tire size to gain 3/8 of an inch?!

I could see a swap that adds 20 or 30mm or more... but as others have pointed out you'll need new rims.. then questions of clearance/fit (on the front) enter the equation.

Keep in mind that if you find a shop that claims the 6.5inch is OK, they are incompetent. Tires become less stable as the tread width increases past the safe limit for a given rim width.

A

1 - 7 of 7 Posts