Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts
Help wanted, experience is a plus

Interesting thread, even with all the ziggage and zaggage.

I'm considering putting on side steps and you can help with some first-hand experience. After all I wouldn't want to spend 500 of Mrs. Nut's hard-earned clams without making a well-informed decision.

Some of you have mentioned the practicality of the steps, but how do they compare to running boards? Are the boards easier or better to use? Can they actually help prevent door dings? After a period of use has anyone noticed areas of wear that might corrode? That sort of thing.

After knowing more about their function, I can decide the form, i.e., Acura chrome vs. powder coat vs. Manik, and so on.

Then later, whoever puts on the new chrome steps (I too wish they were stainless steel), please post some pictures so we can see them on both light and dark colored MDXs.

Thanks in advance.
:1zhelp:

I like the Maniks and the powder-coated Acrua steps.
The biggest tradeoffs are ease of installation and cost. The Maniks are a breeze to install and are less expensive. They have some flex which I don't really notice unless I make it a point to bounce on them. The foot pads on the Acura are superior.
The Acruas are very stable but make a subtle statememt. I have not seen the new chrome or SS Acrua side steps.I am sure they will be a hot seller, and probably what I would get if I did not already have Maniks.
None of these will stop dents in my opinion. But the Maniks project more from the side, and are a psychological deterrent.
When parked next to a Manik adorned MDX, it looks like if you swing your door too wide it will hit the step, or in some way restrict the allowable space in exiting your vehicle.
I have had more than one person relate that very impression to me.
So far I don't have door dings, but spend time in parking lots hunting for the best spots to protect my X, which I believe is the primary reason.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.