Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 MDX that is slightly burning oil, 1 quart in about 1500 miles. The vehicle has a little over 103K miles. I've done all of the recommended maintenance since I purchased it about 3 months ago. I want to change my oil and use the EPR oil treatment (before oil change) and the MOA oil treatment (after oil change). I also thought about using the 44K fuel system treatment. Any thoughts? Has anyone used BG products and what was your opinion?

·
Registered
715 Posts
go here for more info:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I tried the BG 44k in the gas a few times and I didn’t noticed any improvement. Just a waste $$$. They are expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the EPR then had the oil changed at the dealer immediately afterwards. Problem is we were then put on lock-down so it's barely done a few miles a week. Ill read the oil this weekend and see. 64,000 miles burning about 1qt per 1000 miles. Also been using redline in the fuel (added just before every oil change). Drives much better now after using that.
Going to do another oil change soon anyway and do the BG again and see what happens. Cant hurt can it?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I did the EPR then had the oil changed at the dealer immediately afterwards. Problem is we were then put on lock-down so it's barely done a few miles a week. Ill read the oil this weekend and see. 68,000 miles burning about 1qt per 1000 miles. Also been using redline in the fuel (added just before every oil change). Drives much better now after using that.
Going to do another oil change soon anyway and do the BG again and see what happens. Cant hurt can it?
You'll be ok. EPR equalizes compression between cylinders too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and did the oil and fuel treatments. Had the oil changed and the engine appears to be running smoother. I thought it was running just fine before, but it's noticeably smoother now. It's also quieter. I'll be interested to see if the oil consumption improves.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I can only imagine that some 2010 - 2013 MDX owner would have figured out the oil consumption issue, by now.
I have a tip below, on how I corrected my oil consumption issue on my Integra.

Try to get Acura to rebuild you engine, after they run an oil consumption test.
Tell the Acura service dept. that you're burning oil and they will change your oil (you pay) and record your miles. If you come back, after 1000 miles, they'll check the oil level. It must have used more than 1 quart of oil, for Acura to rebuild your motor.

They will mark the oil filter & drain plug, so no games on your end. However, they will intentionally over fill the oil and it is your responsibility to check the level on the dip stick on a warm engine, before you drive away, to begin the test.

Before you leave, the oil level should be exactly at the upper hash mark. Otherwise you'll burn more oil than they will count. Also, when you return, to have the level checked, the engine must be warm NOT Hot, for a correct reading. Hot oil expands and appears as a higher level on the dip stick.

If they tell you everything is normal, and that you will have to pay $6,000 for the rebuild, you need to say no and walk away.
My Integra info:
Try a piston soak. I have a 2007 MDX and I don't burn oil , so I've never tried it on my suv. I did successfully get rid of my oil consumption issue on my 2000 Integra by:

No need to work on a hot motor, so let it cool down.
Disconnect the battery cables.
Pull out the spark plugs (leave them out). Don't try to start the engine. That's why you disconnected the battery.
Put ONLY a half oz., of the mixture listed below, in to each spark plug hole.
Let it soak over night.
The little bit of mixture will seep past the rings and loosen any built up crud.
Put the plugs back in, and connect the battery cables.
There will be no problem starting the MDX and driving it, until the next weekend.

The mixture is half Marvel Mystery Oil and half BG's EPR. Don't use straight EPR!!!

Do this once each weekend for a month.
It's a lot of work, but it doesn't cost $6,000 either.
At the end of the month any hardened oil that was causing the oil control rings, to not expand correctly, will be gone and your oil issue should be gone too.

This works if the rings were not expanding, but if they were worn down, this will not help. You'll need a ring job.

·
Registered
311 Posts
its all snake oil, 95% of all that **** is nothing but petroleum distillates, it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you use it, you might think its doing something but its not doing anything! if your looking for cheap fuel additive just go to home depot & buy a gallon of naptha cuz thats what most fuel additive are made of

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I tried the BG 44k in the gas a few times and I didn’t noticed any improvement. Just a waste $$$. They are expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've tried the same with BG-44 in my MDX and RDX with +200,000 miles between them a few years ago. Didn't notice any improvement in mpgs or performance in city or hwy driving. I've always stuck to Costco or Sam's club gas only at home and when traveling. The only time I felt a bump in mpgs and performance was with the big 105k timing belt service with new spark plugs.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've tried the same with BG-44 in my MDX and RDX with +200,000 miles between them a few years ago. Didn't notice any improvement in mpgs or performance in city or hwy driving. I've always stuck to Costco or Sam's club gas only at home and when traveling. The only time I felt a bump in mpgs and performance was with the big 105k timing belt service with new spark plugs.
You will not see any fuel economy improvement if your injectors are clean. Since you have oil consumption, it cleaned some carbon buildup from the cylinders.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
You will not see any fuel economy improvement if your injectors are clean. Since you have oil consumption, it cleaned some carbon buildup from the cylinders.
I'm only at around 1 qt per 9000 mile M.I.D. oil change for my oil consumption.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm only at around 1 qt per 9000 mile M.I.D. oil change for my oil consumption.
This is very interesting 9000...especially on Mobil in hot climate and with low tension rings, should be more than that. Actually, I dont think it is possible. Oh well, you got lucky ;)
Whats is average speed on trip computer?

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
75 Posts
I'm a believer in BG products. As an auto mechanic from the 80's, I've seen and tried many different automotive products and BG is still one of the products that I actually use on a regular basis. Yea their products don't come cheap but neither were any of my vehicles that I owned like 2 BMW M-3's, Porsche's, Infiniti's and my MDX. The BG products that I use on a regular basis are the 44K, MOA and once in a while I use one of the motor flushes like the EPR or the quick clean. When I did my valve adjustment and spark plug change last year, my intake runners, valve covers etc were impressively clean compared to vids and pics that I have seen from other MDX's of a similar year. I drive my MDX like I stole it which is why I take care of it like my life depended on it. I change oil every 3 months regardless of miles driven, do regular maintenance 2-4 times more often than the recommended intervals and run a fuel system cleaner and octane boost at every single fill up.

I recently did a full BG power flush and fluid exchange with a BG flush machine on my trans 3 months ago. The reason I did it was because even after doing the 3x trans fluid drain and fill a few years ago and doing single trans drain and fills every 6 months since, the fluid has never been really clean. It's been 3 months since doing the BG trans flush and my trans fluid still looks brand new like it came out of the gallon container.

PS, another product that works great at cleaning everything from your throttle body all through the intake runners down to cleaning your valves and cleaning the pistons and rings is the AC Delco X66A. You have to spray it in your throttle body and keep spraying until can is empty but you need someone else to help either spray it or press just enough throttle so the motor doesn't die out, turn off engine then let it soak for 30 minutes after can is empty. Only do this right before your change your oil though and only if the location you do it at allows for tons of smoke to come out the exhaust. Trust me, your neighbors will complain.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
This is very interesting 9000...especially on Mobil in hot climate and with low tension rings, should be more than that. Actually, I dont think it is possible. Oh well, you got lucky ;)
Whats is average speed on trip computer?
I usually put 17,000 - 22,000 miles per year on 11 MDX before I purchased my 19 MDX hybrid. Interstate posted speeds are 75 or 80 mph and I usually set the ACC 5-10 mph higher depending on traffic and hwy patrol (they usually leave you alone until you get 7-10 mph over posted speed). Traffic isn't really an issue in Albuquerque and you can drive anywhere from 65-80 mph on the in-town interstate without issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Acura will not rebuild your engine if your car is consuming less than a quart per 1,000 miles, Acura says that's within factory specs! It's crap like that is why I will never buy another Acura.

There is an experiment you can try, do some full throttle 0-80 mph runs with the traction control off, and see if it improves or not.

Other than that don't use any snake oil stuff, if that stuff ruins the engine Acura will know it when they do an oil test, and you'll be screwed out of your rebuilt engine. You could try high mileage syn oil, but instead of 0-20 weight go to 5-20.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Acura will not rebuild your engine if your car is consuming less than a quart per 1,000 miles, Acura says that's within factory specs! It's crap like that is why I will never buy another Acura.

There is an experiment you can try, do some full throttle 0-80 mph runs with the traction control off, and see if it improves or not.

Other than that don't use any snake oil stuff, if that stuff ruins the engine Acura will know it when they do an oil test, and you'll be screwed out of your rebuilt engine. You could try high mileage syn oil, but instead of 0-20 weight go to 5-20.
Do you even understand why 10-13 mdx'es burn oil?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts