Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best tire choice I have made by far. Got BFG KO2s, 245/65/17, for $600 shipped to my door...$60 more for mount & balance.

These tires are awesome! 245/65 is definitely a much better size for the rim and vehicle. The tires do not "balloon" at all. This is the size the MDX should have come with.

Though a pretty aggressive looking tread, they are surprisingly quiet. I had MXV4s on prior, and those were a very quiet tire. If you have the windows down, and radio off, you can hear the tires at parking lot and neighborhood speeds--not loud at all, but you can hear the more aggressive tread for sure. By the time you reach 55, the tire noise is no more than the normal, windows-closed, wind noise. Truly no louder than the MXV4s at highway speeds.

I feel they are a bit more responsive as well (though that could be due to the heavier sidewalls)...pretty subjective...don't new tires always feel better? :grin: Though they are an LT tire, I have not noticed any decrease in acceleration or braking performance due to the weight...though I imagine I will have a small hit to MPGs, though a bit too early to tell.

Pictures below are not great, but you can see a bit of the difference in appearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I so badly wanted these BFG tires but didn't realize I could get them in an alternate size. I'm kicking myself now! I ended up going with the Kumho Road Venture AT51. Also a great tire @ $545 shipped to my door. Very little additional road noise... maybe +5% They drive great. I installed them in April here in the north-east so snow performance remains to be seen. I'm confident they'll perform.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got a pretty good deal on some 235/65/17 Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. They cost $545 out the door at Sam's Club. So far, they are a great tire with minimal roadhouse and excellent on center steering feel due to low steering bias angle. I like them pretty well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now that you've had well over a year on the K02's, what are your thought's? I'll be getting the same tires very soon but with white lettering facing out. We did that on my wives truck and they really pop!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't speak for the BFG's as I installed Kumho Road Venture AT51 as noted above. Also a pretty gnarly off-road tread and reasonably priced tire. We had some nasty snow events this past winter and the Kumho's killed it. Great traction. Highway and town driving is fine with nothing really to note there. No difference from the OEM's. This past June I was in the northeast kingdom of VT having to navigate some mud at an event. People with cars were out of luck but I was fine with minimal slippage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had great experience with 235/65-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 all terrain tires on our 2004 MDX. Great traction on dirt and snow, P-metric, smooth quiet ride, 50k mile warranty, relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can confirm that the Hankook DynaPro ATM and the BFG KO2 are both good tires. I had the Hankook on my Yukon XL Denali and the KO2 on my F150. I really liked the KO2s but I'm not sure I want to put them on my MDX as they are definitely a heavier tire.
I just purchased a 2002 MDX and I'm hoping to get through this winter with the current tires and then get something next fall. Thinking the Hankooks again. Anyone else have a good option for all-season / all-terrain tires for the MDX?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S look pretty good to me for Maryland weather. I'm getting ready to have them installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is an interesting post.I am about to change tyres and I am considering the BFG AT/KO too, in 245/65/17. I am wondering if a 70 profile tyre will fit.Has anyone else tried this ? I am thinking of having the white letters out too, she is a black car so it will look pretty good with the RWL tyres.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We have KO'2s on our 2001 Frontier Crew Cab SE V6. It's been 4 years now with 50k on them and they're at 9 out of 12 on the depth gauge! Amazing wearing tires with excellent grip! DO NOT hesitate if anyone is considering them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts