Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bad news story, but perhaps news of my ill treatment can spare you the same.

You've probably seen references to HID-like Xenon bulbs sold by PlatinumPrices.net. They advertise that their bulbs are covered by a 10-year warranty. Don't believe it!

I had a 9006 bulb die shortly after purchasing it. Following their warranty claim procedure, I carefully foam-packed and boxed the dead bulb, enclosed a money-order for $6.95 to pay their handling fee for replacing the bulb, put $3.50 postage on the carton, and mailed it to the manufacturer's address provided by Platinum Prices. But the package was returned to me by USPS with a note saying that the manufacturer's P.O. box was closed with no forwarding address.

I sent an email to Platinum Prices explaining in detail what I had done, and asking for their help in getting the warranty replacement. Their initial response (after the standard inquiry-received email) was to send me the address of the manufacturer.

I replied, pointing out that my first email had noted that very address, and again asked for their help. This time, Platinum Prices responded with a phone number for the manufacturer. But that number rings into a nameless voice mail system which does not accept messages.

One last time, I emailed Platinum Prices asking them to take responsibility for the bulb replacement. Their reply was that they are not responsible.

So I'm taking responsibility to tell everyone I can to avoid doing business with Platinum Prices. I'll be delighted to fully document all of the above, and provide any additional details folks might need. And please feel free to cross-post this to any other car-related site.

Caveat emptor!

--Marne

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's a shame

Marne,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. In anticipation of me receiving my MDX in the next two weeks, I've been doing research into upgrading my headlights.

Your post has made me make up my mind to bite the bullett and get the real deal: true HIDs.

I'm going with HID Kits As docmentented in other posts, they have a plug and play installation that will replace the 9006's with REAL HIDs.

Sorry you got burned! Thanks for letting us know about it!

rflagg

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
From all I'm led to believe, there doesn't seem to be a good long-lasting Xenon-type bulb (is there?). That's why I don't carry them.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think the only real good replacement would be the Sylvania Silverstars. They are close to factory spec as you can get so they would probably last as long as a standard bulb?

·
Registered
420 Posts
The best non-HID replacements out there are either Sylvania (Silverstars) or Phillips (Bluevisions), they are very reliable (so far), according to anecdotal evidence from various car forums and a few European reviews. Other than those, I wouldn't trust any other brand (flame suit on). IMO, if Im gonna take a risk with a bulb, Im not paing more than $20-30 bucks for it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Marne, when you speak, many listen. I, too, have bought from PP about 6 months ago. The bulbs have performed well, but I never had the occasion to use their warranty. But I guess I would have run into the same problem as you did.

They picked the wrong person to dis-satisfy! Thanks for your feedback!:mad:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good Experiences with ProStreet Lighting

I'm enclosing my correspondences with proStreetlighting.
I sent back a second 9006 burnt out bulb to the address in bold below. I received new bulbs within the week on both occasions!!
The interesting thing is that it appears that www.platinumprices.net (Which I can no longer access on the net!) and www.Prostreetlighting.com are one and the same company.

ebay auction listing was:
PLASMA XENON HID HEADLIGHTS 2001 ACURA MDX

You may want to try sending your defective bulb to the address below...

ProStreet Lighting
3200 Highland Ave.
Suite 3B
National City, CA

2/18/02

Dear Sirs:
I am sending back the Eaglite 9006 bulb that burned out over this past
Weekend. I purchased these bulbs on December 6, 2001. One of the bulbs
Was defective upon placement, which you already exchanged. This is the 2nd
Bulb that was installed on the driver's side.
I have enclosed all prior correspondence including the original ebay
Auction that I won.

Please ship the replacement 2006 12V 80W Plasma Xenon bulb to:

Thank You.

Original email of 12/6/01:

Hi.
I spoke with Arthur tonight and he agreed to ship me a new 9006 plasma
xenon bulb tomorrow.
I just received these bulbs today and installed without touching bulb.
The bulbs both worked as soon as I put them in. However When I started my
2001 Acura MDX after finishing up at the office. The newly installed
plasma xenon passenger low beam headlight burnt out.
I'm very disappointed. I have already left you very positive feedback on
ebay. Please ship the bulb to me ASAP. I will also send you the defective
bulb.
Once it's clear that these bulbs will work I'd like to place an order
for the 9005 high beams and another 9006 for fog lights. I've heard some
very nice things about your store on http://www.acuramdx.org. I'm hoping
this was just an uncommon defective bulb.

Thank You.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: HID Kits

Markedoc said:
Rflagg - did you get yours? Installed? Satisfied?

You got me thinking ...
Mark-

Below is a picture of the stage II REAL lighting systems with DS-2 bulbs from Hella, Hella Ballasts from Germany. PLEASE NOTE: I left the PIAA 9006 SuperWhite bulbs in the fog light housing. Look at the contrast between the HID lighting systems and the 9006 halogen bulbs. So when these other other companies making Halogen bulbs to replicate HID...I beg the differ...Because Nothing comes close to the real thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: HID Kits

Markedoc said:
Rflagg - did you get yours? Installed? Satisfied?

You got me thinking ...
Markedoc,

Sorry for not responding. I must have missed your post! (Thanks Fireblade for answering it!)

Fireblade is going to see if he can arrange for a Group Buy of the Stage II lighting shown above. That is the one I'm going to install. (Yes, it is expensive. But it is also: 1. The best lighting out there. And 2, the brightest.)

Rflagg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the same lights!

Wow, I bought the same lights, from Platinum Prices. They lasted for about 4-5 months, before one of them blew out. I emailed them about the warrenty, and they told me the same thing. I just haven't had a chance to send them back...and it looks like there's not point in me doing so. Well..what can we do. Just a tough break for both of us.
-Alan

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
mystMDX,

How do you know that prostreetlighting is the same as www.platinumprices.net. One of my fogs blew out after less than a month. I got it at platinum prices, but their site is no longer accessible. I wrote prostreetlighting and they say they are not the same company. What should I do? Do you have an e-mail at www.platinumprices.net?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just when I was saying...

Just when I posted that I didn't think a company like www.platinumprices.net was that much different than a name brand big company. Oh, well, the lessons we learn...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
MDXtrous
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing