Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to give my 2015 MDX w/tech its first wax. It is the White Diamond Pearl. Anyone have any suggestions on the best wax out there to use to get the best shine?
Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Im using McGuires Advanced liquid on my 2018. Love the ease of use and no white streaks on the black trim. Not cheap, but the shine is there.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax

What’s important is that you properly prep the white before you wax.

You need to throughly clean it and clay it.

I found a lot of small red dots that looked like rust on the paint. I had to use a clay bar and synthetic clay bar to remove them all - it was a task for sure. I found the synthetic clay better for removing the red dots but the clay bar was better on the bumpers and glass.

I just used soapy water for the clay. I am sure I would have done better if I used the specific clay spray. I got to the same place with a bit more elbow grease.

Have fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Zymol on my 2015 SH-AWD MDX with Tech package.. I love it and all natural. Check out the Zymol Lehm Klay III System on Amazon

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use Zymol on my 2015 SH-AWD MDX with Tech package.. I love it and all natural. Check out the Zymol Lehm Klay III System on Amazon
Zymol Klay is too expensive - I never tried it but I can’t imagine that it’s leaps and bounds better than standard clay or synthetic clay.

With synthetic clay I can get a lot of sesssions with it and if it drops on the floor it’s not garbage. Just rinse and reuse.

I bought one from Griot’s when Autozone had a sale $5 off and other online coupons a few years ago and it’s still working fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zymol Klay is too expensive - I never tried it but I can’t imagine that it’s leaps and bounds better than standard clay or synthetic clay.

With synthetic clay I can get a lot of sesssions with it and if it drops on the floor it’s not garbage. Just rinse and reuse.

I bought one from Griot’s when Autozone had a sale $5 off and other online coupons a few years ago and it’s still working fine.
Zymol products are more costly than some other fine products. But I've been into the brand from 2002. I love all the non chemicals and natural ingredients that goes into Zymol products. I find Zymol to be of some of the best car products out on the market if used properly. But the way I see it.....a fine automobile like the MDX,which isnt some cheap vehicle deserves to have a fine product like Zymol...after all the Acura aint cheap in no way.

And I must give credit where credit is due. Another fine product which comes in second in my book is Griots Garage products. It too is a fine, fine product when used properly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used Collinite 845 and/or 476 for years. Great shine and long lasting, even in Midwest winters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am using TriNova -- a waterless car wash wax kit. It works and lasts at least 3 months. I also use microfiber cloth to wipe dry the wax.

I prep the car by having a touchless carwash then spray wax the car and immediately wipe off the wax. I can finish waxing my 2018 MDX in less than 30 minutes, no buffing needed. The body feels smooth to the touch just like waxing will do to your car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another vote for Collinite 845. I was using Blackfire for years but it's gotten too pricey to keep 3 vehicles protected and looking sharp.

As mentioned above, whatever product you choose it's all about the paint prep. Wash using the right soap, clay, polish and then the sealant or wax. Synthetics may look a little sterile on white however it will last much longer than a pure wax. And remember, a little bit of product goes a long way. You should be able to wipe the product off very easily -- if your arm is getting tired, you are using too much. I use a machine to apply but for comparison, I can easily do the entire MDX with a couple of ounces of product.

Take a look at https://www.autogeek.net/
If you go down to the bottom of the home page, some good info under Expert Advice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Another vote for Collinite 845. I was using Blackfire for years but it's gotten too pricey to keep 3 vehicles protected and looking sharp.

As mentioned above, whatever product you choose it's all about the paint prep. Wash using the right soap, clay, polish and then the sealant or wax. Synthetics may look a little sterile on white however it will last much longer than a pure wax. And remember, a little bit of product goes a long way. You should be able to wipe the product off very easily -- if your arm is getting tired, you are using too much. I use a machine to apply but for comparison, I can easily do the entire MDX with a couple of ounces of product.

Take a look at https://www.autogeek.net/
If you go down to the bottom of the home page, some good info under Expert Advice.
Yes, lots of good stuff on Autogeek. One caveat: it's difficult to browse their offerings and not buy something :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, lots of good stuff on Autogeek. One caveat: it's difficult to browse their offerings and not buy something :wink:

Yes, lots of good stuff! I even found this, and I've used it several times …..its a short cut.

https://www.autogeek.net/zymol-cleaner-wax.html

Zymol Cleaner Wax

Perfect and protect at the same time!

Zymol Cleaner Wax will allow you to correct the minor scratches, swirls, and other imperfections in your vehicle’s paint and apply a durable layer of protection to prevent future damage all in one easy step. Zymol Cleaner Wax is formulated using a healthy blend of mild abrasives, carnauba, and beeswax that allows it to perform this wonderful, time saving feat. The abrasives in Zymol Cleaner Wax are strong enough to be able to eliminate minor imperfections like washing scratches and swirls that tend to find their way onto your paint in between waxings, but these abrasives are not aggressive enough to cause any marring in the process, leaving you with an immaculate finish. At the same time, the carnauba and beeswax works to form a hard, durable layer of protection that will also supply a deep, warm gloss for your car’s paint.

When you are working to perfect your paint, doing a long multi-step process can be quite cumbersome and often unnecessary if you take proper care of your paint and wash it regularly. If you are part of the population that details their vehicle regularly, there is no need to worry about going through the lengthy and time-consuming process of a multi-step detailing; you can simply use a cleaner wax instead. A cleaner wax, sometimes referred to as an “all-in-one”, is a product that will be able to correct minor swirls and scratches and apply a layer of protection to your vehicle at the same time. Zymol Cleaner Wax is a quality product that is capable of performing the same impressive task of perfecting your paint and protecting it from future damage.

Zymol Cleaner Wax is able to accomplish this task due to the combination of abrasives, carnauba, and beeswax. The abrasives contained in Zymol Cleaner Wax are able to toe the fine line of being aggressive enough to correct the damage that your paint incurs throughout the week while not being so aggressive that they instill even more marring in the paint in the process. While these abrasives are performing the important task of correcting the damage, the carnauba and beeswax are working hard to create a layer of protection in the process. This layer of protection will reduce the chance of damage such as washing scratches or contamination swirls digging their way into your paint in the future.

Not only will Zymol Cleaner Wax be able to correct and protect your paint, the carnauba in the formula will provide a brilliant shine in the process to ensure that your paint will always turn heads as your drive down the road.

Directions:
1. Use a clean microfiber applicator pad with straight line side-to-side motion to apply a generous amount to an area approximately 2 feet by 3 feet.
2. Use a medium to heavy pressure until the surface begins to feel tacky.
3. Use a clean, dry microfiber towel to buff away residue.

Zymol Cleaner Wax can also be applied using a foam finishing/polishing pad on a dual action polisher.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, lots of good stuff! I even found this, and I've used it several times …..its a short cut.

https://www.autogeek.net/zymol-cleaner-wax.html

Zymol Cleaner Wax

Good call. If this is the first time the OP's 2015 MDX has ever been waxed, then an all-in-one cleaning/polishing product is worth considering. Klasse and Duragloss are two other popular AIO choices. You can also apply a layer of wax/sealant over AIO's, for additional protection and gloss.

Depending on the condition of the car and how ambitious OP is feeling, some Iron X and a clay bar kit might also be in order - especially if the car surface feels rough or gritty when running a hand over a washed surface. You'd be surprised how much crap gets stuck to or embedded in the surface of your vehicles.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I second the ceramic clear coat, especially if the OP is going to go with extensive preparation like claying. Do it once and the job is done for years. I have to leave the MDX outside and so get sap on the paint every year; removing it with isopropyl alcohol doesn't seem to affect the coating. The clear coat does change the appearance a bit: it looks more glassy and less sparkly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts