Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what your thinking... using toothpaste to defog your headlights is only temporary! But I’m not looking for a permanent solution just yet.

My headlights are very faded. They have been through a lot, after all... I’m looking to find the best toothpaste to clean them, so that their clean again! (Temporary fix) I will be doing a more permanent fix ie: sanding down, couple layers of clear in the future.

I just don’t know what toothpaste is the best. What brand? Any specific ones to stay away from? Maybe this will help someone else, too!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
how long did it last?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
We wanted to sell the vehicle so I re-did the treatment about six months later. It wasn’t close to as bad as the first picture, but they did develop a little frost and were not clear like the second picture... so I gave them a light cleaning with the kit and got them looking perfect again for the buyer. The kit had plenty in it for several applications.

I get the impression these products leave out the “sealing” step intentionally, so you have to keep using them (and they make $$$).

Perhaps an application of clear coat or one of those clear vinyl coverings/wraps would solve that problem?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have used “Mother’s Mag Polish” and got good results, the lens came out nice and clear, I then applied a few coats carnauba wax and it holds up fairly well. I do have to do it again about every year but there is only slight frosting and cleans up quick.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... I’m liking the idea of the title wax and the mother’s... my shop bought a kit last year and it was basically a sand disk, a bit of toothpaste like substance, and some other crap I don’t even remember. Worked well on the old van we used it on! I’ll probably have a look at Walmart’s website for the turtle wax, and talk to my shop and figure out if that kits still good. Thanks for the advice! Toothpaste is for teeth!

·
Registered
338 Posts
@conboss,
When I did use toothpaste it was Arm & Hammer brand, as it contains baking soad (bit on the gritty side)

Now I use https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/headlight-lens-restorer/A-p8239543e

It's cheap and does a decent job.

EDIT::: If you want it to last longer, you can always spray a thin coat of clear spraypaint.

It's the original clear coat that goes yellow and pits from all the road grime.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hmm... I’m liking the idea of the title wax and the mother’s... my shop bought a kit last year and it was basically a sand disk, a bit of toothpaste like substance, and some other crap I don’t even remember. Worked well on the old van we used it on! I’ll probably have a look at Walmart’s website for the turtle wax, and talk to my shop and figure out if that kits still good. Thanks for the advice! Toothpaste is for teeth!
I love the Mother’s Mag Polish - I use it for a lot of things - it takes away all the oxidation which is what also frosts the lenses. If you are completely clouded you may need to sand it down with several grit treatments or get the kit they sell. The problem with the kit is if your lense is bad you may only have enough material for one lens.

My old Odyssey was bad and I started with gritty toothpaste - it didn’t work. So I bough the sanding kit you attach to a drill and that worked but I had to buy more paper attachments to complete it. Also the frost came back quickly which is when I tried the Mother’s and wax and it held up a lot longer than I expected. I have since been doing the mother’s and wax to all my lenes at least once a year when I strip, clay and wax my cars.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I’ll be trying to find mother’s! Cars going to be sitting at the airport parking lot for the next week, as I’m on vacation! Will be doing my research when I’m back!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I did 3M clear bra on my headlights, fogs, front end, and side mirrors. This product has UV blocker and it has kept my HIDs clear on my 11 MDX, 08 RDX, and 06 TSX protected against the Southwestern sun. I would check into using some type of headlight clear wrap with UV blocker to keep the HIDs from clouding over again.

I had to replace my 3M film on my 06 TSX back in 2010 because it started to show some minor UV damage and hazing on the HIDs (replaced film for free under the 5 year warranty). The installer said 3M improved the film since my initial install in 2006 to last longer and protect against UV damage. The HIDs under the 3M wrap were still crystal clear with no signs of UV damage. I didn't realize how much of that little bit of hazing was diffusing my HIDs light output until the film was replaced.

Reactions: 2013silvrmdx

·
Registered
162 Posts
One of the first things i did was to get the 3M lens film..
best 60.00 spent... they do protect lenses amazingly..
I also got the kit for the mirrors..

It took a while, but finally found a set for my 02 TL.. all I need now is warmer weather and for this new rubbish bump of snow to go away...
my 2c
J

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw this video the other day, which basically shows the sanding/waxing process mentioned above, and I'm thinking I'm going to do something similar since most of as already have most if not all of the necessary materials.

[Apparently I can't post a link, but if you type youtube and add the following you'll be able to see the video:

.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM

EricTheCarGuy has also posted a few how to videos on youtube that are useful.

-Rudy

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Try this for your headlights
and you will be surprised how good it is! Only $3 for a package of two tubes at Walmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the Meguiar's G3000C heavy duty headlight restoration kit last year and was pleased with the results. It's simple to use and utilizes your power drill to help with the sanding and buffing.

Here are my results on my 2007.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I restored my headlights with the Sylvania restoration kit. I've read a lot about restoration with toothpaste and ended up buying that kit. I like their headlight bulb quality, so decided to give it a try. It's something around $20, and it has got that UV protectant liquid in the kit along with wipes, glove and stuff you need. It has taken me around 40 mins to do 1 side. Here's the link if you want it - https://sylvania-headlights.com/

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually picked up the maguiers heavy duty stuff, I'm waiting for the weather to get better to do this. Something like $30 at canadian tire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
it's no different than any other buffing job. rubbing compound to start, that will take off the rough stuff... then polish, like mcguires ultimate polish. you can not really do it by hand, it needs to be a machine... something that spins. The large buffing grinders are too big, but you can use those foam balls that go in cordless drills.

·
Vendor
173 Posts
Hi there, if you are planning to restore your headlights, you can consider one of restoration kits available on the market.
Here are some of them:
Headlight restoration kits at CARiD
After you clear the plastic, make sure to apply that UV protectant over the lights, otherwise the lens is likely to corrode because of UV rays, and soon you will notice those small cracks in plastic.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Guys you can use any solution to clean the plastic but if you don't apply some type of clear coat or seal the sun will yellow it again real fast. I suggest watching the YouTube videos by ChrisFix he has 2 videos which shows his process that included sealing the headlight to stop this from reoccurring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts