Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

What is the best technology this decade?

• MDX Navigation

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • EZ-Pass

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • TiVo

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Wireless Networking

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Digital Cameras

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best technology since 2000?

·
Registered
449 Posts
TIVO!!!
I love it, can't believe I use to watch TV with out it. :eek:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
EZPASS = less traffic

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Good poll. I'm on board w/wireless networking and TiVo (we have ReplayTV, pre-subscription).

Digital cameras on the list, too, tho I dunno when they were first out (and think TiVo preceded 2k, too, no?)

And when did we get broadband (cable/DSL)?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kishino said:
TIVO!!!
I love it, can't believe I use to watch TV with out it. :eek:
No question about it... TiVo is amazing! I've got two, one hacked to 108 hours!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaleB said:
Almost everything up there came out of the 90s, some even the 80s! Like digital cameras. But you would not want to see the first one.....
Most are all based on variations of existing technology or continuous improvement.
Even EZ Pass is based on existing technology, but this latest application is excellent!
I realize that none of the technology is new, but it all became afordable in the past few years.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
TIVO - without a doubt (I have the DISH network version called PVR - also there's no subscription fee)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tivo hacked to 160 hours! I just got done hacking my friends up to 220 hours!!!! Holy Moly!

Oh yeah, and wireless networking, gotta love 802.11b.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
hmm... this should be multi-choices, not just one....

I love wireless network 802.11b in house, but 802.11g is out, which could runs up 55mb/sec in turbo mode. :2:

I love the digital camera as well. I had it since July 2000 and already take over 9000 photos. :D

EZPass is good too. I save so much time on the road between Philly and Nova while my wife worked in Philly for 2 years. ;) (but now they are charging $1/month as their system improvement fee)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hmmm -- if it weren't limited to "since 2000," my choice would be Electronic Fuel Injection, hands down. The other stuff holds little interest for me.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I went for TiVo, even though the unit I have is UltimateTV - apparently the Betamax of the PVR world. (Given Worm's experience with Richochet and some other technologies, I figured he'd be in this club with me).

You only need EZPass if you live in one of those places where they charge you every few miles!

Finally, I would add 16:9 format TV's to the list - it's great to watch films in their native formats.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ghost said:
I went for TiVo, even though the unit I have is UltimateTV - apparently the Betamax of the PVR world. (Given Worm's experience with Richochet and some other technologies, I figured he'd be in this club with me).

You only need EZPass if you live in one of those places where they charge you every few miles!

Finally, I would add 16:9 format TV's to the list - it's great to watch films in their native formats.
Then you might as well add 5.1 sound, progressive video, firewire, digital camcorders, DVD copying, DSL, and the beat goes on!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I say Wireless Networking! The next big thing would be securing that wonderful technology! :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ghost said:
I should have listed TiVo/UltimateTV/PVR/ReplayTV... all essentially the same thing. Anyone out there have the new Replay TV. I'd love to know how well the commercial skip works.

JTM said:
IEZPass is good too. I save so much time on the road between Philly and Nova while my wife worked in Philly for 2 years. ;) (but now they are charging $1/month as their system improvement fee)
Still a bargain at $1 a month! I heard that NJ really screwed it up. The state is losing money.

AikiMDX said:
Tivo hacked to 160 hours! I just got done hacking my friends up to 220 hours!!!! Holy Moly!
Wow, what size hard drive(s) did you use to get 220 hours?

DaleB said:
Then you might as well add 5.1 sound, progressive video, firewire, digital camcorders, DVD copying, DSL, and the beat goes on!!!
Those are all great technology! I should have included broadband (DSL/Cable) to the list, that's a big one.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Since 2000:confused:

Have had Dish PVR (version of TiVo) since the late 90's and like a microwave oven or garage door opener can't get by without it.

The earlier version I just replaced a about 2 years ago only had a 6 hour hard drive, mine now has 35 hours, the new model this year has 65 hours.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Broadband

NOTHING can be more important for the masses than broadband's intro in the 21st Century. I mean imagine we all were sentenced to use 56k modems for the next 10 years. Err...very bad.

TIVO, wireless NICs, etc. we can live w/o. They are luxuries, not necessities like broadband. :D

Slightly off topic but FYI, BY FAR the most advancements in technology that occured in the past 10-15 years in automotive technology has been with TIRES. Not electronics, not engines, not safety. Tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts